Twilight - The Poll!

Twilight...  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Twilight...

• Yes I've read it, and I love it!
    • Yes I've read it, and it was just ok.
    • Yes I've read it, and I didn't like it.
    • No, I've not read it, and I don't intend to!
    • I haven't read it, but I will eventually.
    • Other.. (please state)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No I haven't read it and don't intend to. I may be missing out on what could be my favourite read ever .. but it just doesn't appeal in any way.

Another dent in it's appeal was that sticker on 'Wuthering Heights' ... 'oojit and whatshisface's favourite book', .. words fail.

Also annoying is all the books that have been rushed out to sate the interest in all things vampire. Waterstones has a whole section now in the YA section with 'Dark Romance' or some such title printed above. You see all of those books and you know that a lot of them are going to be pure bandwagon rubbish. It was the same with wizard/magic books after and during HP's success. It's got a lot more difficult looking for good YA books now because of the swathes of sexy werewolf and dark angel stories.

I'm not meaning to be snotty .. I'm sure there are some really good stories amongst all this gothic literature but I just haven't got the heart to even attempt reading any of them.

Even if I found Giulia's copy on a bus .. I wouldn't take it home.

After months and months of teasingly commenting on my friend's adoration for the books, she gave up on me and told me I could not continue spreading my opinions about the series until I had at least read one of them.

What I did was go right out and buy the whole thing. I read them all at once and I can honestly say I was a little surprised. I normally love fantasy but the idea of some perverted vampire romance made me a bit skeptical. I can admit I enjoyed reading most parts of it - though I am not a bit fan of the cheesy, corny scenes in movies/books so I felt a little silly reading some of the Edward-Bella conversations. I deeply disliked it that

Meyer should have Bella admit her love for Jacob as well. I understood that love as the romantic kind and I have not yet accepted it - I think it was demeaning of her love for the vampire and simply a bad twist to the story.

Apart from the silly scenes, the book was definitely a good read, to me at least. It's not written in breathtaking English and the plot is not a complex one, but it gets you through the pages pretty fast. The third book was my favourite, the second was least fun to read and the fourth was a bit...weird, I must say.

I do not agree on all the characters of the books either. If someone would ask me if I was team-Edward or team-Jacob, I would certainly say Edward because as I went on reading, I came to dislike Jacob greatly. Nonetheless, he is sort of an love-to-hate character whereas Bella's character is not. She annoyed me a little throughout the books, the idea of her being so normal is good to the story but I think she's too much of a crybaby. My favourite character was, undoubtedly, Jasper Cullen. He was, in my opinion, the most interesting of them all and I'd have loved a few chapters written in his perspective.

Do not get me started on the Twilight films though. I think they must be the worst piece of motion picture material since Eragon.

I voted no, and don't intend to. The storyline doesn't bother me but doesn't appeal to me either. It's just the fact that I picked up one of the books and read some of it and it was so badly written. There was no way I could have got through it.

I read some **** so I don't know why it bothered me so much in this.

Also I lied. The storyline does bother me.

The fourth book (I think) does sound pretty hilarious though if what I read about it was right

The unborn baby breaking Bella's spine with its mighty vampire kicks and then Jacob falling in love with the baby when it's born.

Edit: That censored word is only "cr*p". I'm not completely foul mouthed.

• 2 months later...

I love it, and I despise myself for it. It takes up such an absurd part of my life now, and I can't even understand how or why. She's not that great of an writer and the story shouldn't be so captivating. But for some reason it is and I can't stop re-reading them or just bits and chapters if I'm in a hurry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was going to vote '...and don't intend to', but I thought I should be honest with myself.

I dread the time when I will read it, as it has inflamed passions on this forum that are frankly quite scary! ;)

But I reckon the day will arrive when I'm pootling in a charity shop book section, and there the first books of the the series will be sitting, with a price that cries out to me.

Yes that day will come, but hopefully not for a while yet. :lurker:

lol Chrissy. STAY STRONG :cool:

I voted 'haven't read it, never intend to'. Weakened and watched New Moon, spent most of the film rolling my eyes .....apologies to die-hard fans. :blush:

Edited by poppy

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted that they're okay. I'm a huge fan of the vampire genre, and I can even put up with the silly stuff if the core of the story is decent. But I don't like Twilight... I just find her phrasing so horrible, and her characters so transparent.

I don't wish to insult anyone. The heart wants what the heart wants, of course.