Twilight - The Poll!

Twilight...  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Twilight...

• Yes I've read it, and I love it!
    • Yes I've read it, and it was just ok.
    • Yes I've read it, and I didn't like it.
    • No, I've not read it, and I don't intend to!
    • I haven't read it, but I will eventually.
    • Other.. (please state)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate the Twilight books, more the insane hype that surrounds it...also the terrible life lessons it seems to want to impart upon young, impressionable teenage girls. They are also quite badly written, the author does seems to have a manic fondness for the word "chagrin" if I remember correctly?

I read Twilight and found it to be okay, and even found some deeper themes within it, although I can't remember what they are now. Then I read New Moon, and found nothing that made me want to read more.

That is understandable. It really was a pretty weak book.

• 2 months later...

I haven't read the series and I don't intend to, for I seem to have heard very bad reviews about it from friends whose reading tastes are similar to mine. That, and I just dislike romances in general unless they're really very realistic and well-written. Also, the idea about vampires and werewolves becoming just like ordinary people and attending school and all sounds a little distasteful since I'm quite a fan of the gothic horror genre.

That said, I suppose Twilight has its merits. Unfortunately, I'd fail to recognise them if the books are placed in my hands, so it's better like this.

Well, I haven't read it, and I voted, "don't intend to". Since that's what I think, but like I said somewhere else, I might some day, like with the DaVinci Code, just to see what the fuss was about. (Hated that one). But really, this sounds too much like kid books to me, and not in a good way. I agree with HH above, seriously. I like my vampires scary, human blood drinking and not really part of human society. (I know, I read Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake series too, but even though the vamps there are legal citizens, they also drink human blood and can be quite scary and bloodthirsty at times). I also like gothic and horror fiction, so to have vampires turned into this whole popular-teeny hype is a little distasteful.

Strangely, saying this doesn't mean immediately that I couldn't enjoy them when reading them. Just, it would get old fast that they're for teens, since I like my books to have more gore and sex than generally in these kind of books.

Mind you, what I have said above is from the impression I have of what the books are like. If I am totally wrong, please feel free to correct me. :D

@ Univerze - I do believe there's

sex in it at some point because Bella's and Edward union eventually results in a baby

(although as a purist, don't get me started on the physical impossibility of that),

I just think you need to wait a few books for it

. I wouldn't know, I didn't get that far for other reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I caved and thought I'd see what all the hype was about, just finished reading Twilight and was thinking all the way through it is like a teen romance but finished it and rushed out to get New Moon which I am currently reading, and of course will have to check out the movie now too, so I put read it and loved it.