Icecream's Reading blog

Icecream

Must be:lol:

There was a lot of work, only the same amount as a single honours course. The difficulty with two subjects is spending each day flipping your mind between the too, and in my case moving between campuses meaning a lot of travelling time and not much studying time by the time I got home.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*List updated

I have finally finished Raven Hart's The Vampire's Seduction, a truly wonderful book. It is well written, has many levels, yet is also very entertaining. If you have never read a vampire novel I recommend it highly. If you love romance or deep, meaningful, life-applicable plot lines then this is a book for you.

My favourite character was Jack (not too sure why). He is fun loving, sensitive (for a man;) ), and has a capturing aura about him. The Vampire's Seduction is full of twists (but not too many), that keep the reader guessing and intrigued. What's more is I cannot wait to read the next book, as I love the characters and the storylines. Something I often get bored with is a series, or books by the same author, but I have afeeling that won't happen here.

I have just started Karma by Holly A Harvey, a nice light change from the Vamipre's Seduction. It seems a good read so far.

No probs. It was a great book. I haven't read a really wonderful book outside the fantasy genre for quite a while. I'm not very good at writing reviews though so I can't really do you justice. Thank you for the book, and to Michelle for the competition.

Hey Mrstrecool, how did you get on with The Vampire's Seduction??

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning to finish Karma this week, but cannot see it happening. I didn't get any reading done yesterday because Katie was being clingy, then had colic all evening. I could have read while feeding her all day (as that's all I did), but she tired me out.

I am enjoying Karma though, and I shouldn't be too much longer with it. The book is great, although predictable, and also, as I have said to PP, I need to be careful, as the main character is so like me that it s likely to affect my mental state if i am not careful, which makes it a very interesting read..

• 2 weeks later...

Karma was great.

I don't usually like chic-lit, but Karma had an edge because the characters were real. They spoke to me, as I am sure they would to other readers, because the characters generally have much the same characteristics we have in society today. There is a youth culture, a female 'group culture' (those females who make any woman outside there 'group' suffer), and there are love wars (we all have those).

Paige, the main character spoke to me, as I too am young and in debt that I can't get rid of. I too, although the older sibling, have a sister who is doted on whereas my successes are more or less ignored. I too longed for love (before i found it), and i made drastic mistakes. I also hated school (loved the work, hated the people).

This book is a nice light read with plenty of entertainment, and as Kell mentioned, very funny, but it also has a certain depth. It does make you think. I found myself wondering about the past, present and future of both myself, and humanity as a whole. The questions where is culture taking us, and the question the book poses, what place does karma have, are now enveloping my brain. There are also serious issues posed, such as Paige's health problems with CFS, and debt management. I must point out that I saw some of the outcomes to the plot lines through the book, but that does not make it any less interesting..

The final thing I found interesting I will leave to those who have read the book..

Paige's being pregnant with twins struck me, having recently given birth myself. The short birth story brought back memories. Childbirth is a wonderful thing, however, I am not sure I could give birth to twins. It seems beyond belief. Even with pain relief it seems it would be difficult for the second baby..

I definitely recommend this book to anybody. I think even men would see a lot within these pages..

• 2 weeks later...

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell is a great book. It affected me in many ways. It is a ver personal story, and very well written. It jumps around in time, but keeps its continuation by exlaning what needs to be explained, while holding back only on the main plot line. This is definitely a must read for anybody. The book certainly also promotes further reading. I've posted other commments in the reading circle thread..

I'm continuing with The Mist Over Pendle now. I've just realised how slow I'm being at reading..

• 2 weeks later...

I have now finished The Mist Over Pendle. It was a great read. I loved reading a story set where I live. It was a slow start, but once it got past the first couple of chapters this was a very entertaining book. The story is of a local legend concerning the pendle witches. Nineteen witches were tried and hung in the days when Lancashire was still Lancaster. The book enlightened me, but I can't say why without spoiling it. It was also very funny, having as the book says, a sardonic nature in some of it's characters, however, there is also a dark element and some of the characters are rathe plain, but never dull. If anyone is interested in understanding witchcraft, or knows the area of Pendle, I recommend it.

I am now going to finish My Sister's Child by Lyn Andrews, which I started before christmas, but ended up reading other books. I borrowed it from my mother in law, so i better finish it now.

Sorry, I]m a bit busy at the mo so this is in bits..

The Mist Over Pendle reminded me of Jane Austen, as it is set around the same sort of time/culture from the language used. Robert Neill is clearly in touch with his feminine side. This could be influence from his research though, as this is based on true events. I wonder how much of the style is him and how much is infuence from other texts..

I found the book entertaining because their are some very jovial ans sardonic characters. The mood and language of the culture portrayed had me actually talking like the characters at times too.

Thee were some things to do with fashion that I had to look up, but once I knew what a kirtle and a sarcenet were I could better picture the characters, and it did not hinder my enjoyment at all.

My Sister's Child was a slow start (Although I actually started it before Christmas), but I am really enjoying it now. There is a lot happening, and the realism of life in a pre-WWI Liverpool slum is astounding. I love the book and sympathise with the characters (there is a lot of devastation, although because the book is so astonishingly realistic the devastation does not seem too much), but sometimes the writing style is confusing because a minor character, or new character will come into the plot and suddenly have a paragraph, not of speech, but of thought, all to themselves..

I have just finished My Sister's Child. I was not expecting that ending, and it is very thought provoking. This was a book that I was unsure of whether I would enjoy or not, but Lyn Andrews has a way of writing which really hits you. I didn't realise until the end exactly what issues the book brought up. The ending is also very thought provoking. An extremely good read.

I was also glad that a family with such hard times did have a lot of happiness in the end too.. Has anyone else read this?

I have just read The Pendle Witch Trial 1612 by Rachel A.C. Hasted. This books is the factual (and short) version of The Mist Over Pendle. It is only 53 pages long, but every line almost contains a fact, and there is also a lot of old english quoted, which makes for slow reading. Anyone interested in the Pendle witches (commonly known as the Lancashire witches), should first read The Mist Over Pendle, then The Pendle Witch Trial 1612. Even though is the fiction version, it makes the pamphlet easier to understand (as it is just fact after fact thrust a you. The Mist Over Pendle still has all the facts, but they are ontained in a story. The Pendle Witch Trial 1612 also begs the reader to think more on the subject of witches, and whether or not these people could be perceived in another light.

This one is going a bit slow because I've had two children as well as bubs for three days, plus had lot's to do and little sleep. The book takes a lot of brain power to read so I can't take it in too quickly when I'm tired.

It isn't at all what expected though. What did I expect? For it to start pulling the book to pieces I suppose, but all it seems to be is a theological debate attacking the code for attacking the church..

This book is also rather pointless. There is a lot in it that at the end of the day is just plain rubbish and not worth knowing, however, there are a few gems in there that are worth thinking about.

I'm only a few chapters in, so I can't tell for sure whether this book is really about cracking the Da Vinci Code, or is just an attack on Dan Brown, but the author certainly has issues.

I got 1984 off the shelf but OH started reading it. He hasn't read anything since he finished LOTR a few months ago. The books are on the shelves, but he has to wait till I get an interesting one down:roll:. I shall have to read it when he is finished. I'm still on with Cracking Da Vinci's Code at the mo. Still think it's a load of rubbish.

I got 1984 off the shelf but OH started reading it. He hasn't read anything since he finished LOTR a few months ago. The books are on the shelves, but he has to wait till I get an interesting one down:roll:. I shall have to read it when he is finished. I'm still on with Cracking Da Vinci's Code at the mo. Still think it's a load of rubbish.

I've had 1984 on my TBR pile for a couple of years now. I really want to read it soon but every time I choose a new book something else always jumps out at me first.:sleeping-smiley-009