Icecream's Reading blog

Icecream

Although I would love a large bottle of whisky I don't think it is the best thing for a breastfeeding mother...

*Mmm* Whiskey... Oh, whoops - drifted there! :)

To give my 'two pennerth' worth, Nineteen Eighty-Four is one of my favourite novels, Em :e010: I read it in 6th form and had a fantastic tutor who really got under its skin, but aside from that, I still think I would have enjoyed it. The ideas Orwell uses are wonderfully pertinent (still) and usually quite terrifying. And I found myself caring about Winston, which was unexpected!

There are some great, iconic scenes in it too, so it's worth reading just so you can get to 'those' moments (I'm giving nothing away tho').

I'd steal it from your OH or at least encourage him to hurry up :sign0072:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH hasn't finished 1984 but I have stolen it from him. He can still read it when I'm not. He says that it is a good book, but only if you understand how governments work. I'm not far in yet, as I have a lot do. By the time it gets to the evening lately it's time for bed before I know it (I used to have time!) I can't read this ine very well while feeding Katie as it is a folio and I want to look after it.

As for Cracking Da Vinci's Code, it is two things, an attempt at explainig the Da Vinci Code which has some interesting things to say and some not so interesting things, plus an attempt at mission (spreading the word of Christ). In consequence of these two purposes, neither is aceived to its fullest purpose. The preachy bits made me think, but only because I have studied theology and know of surrounding arguments to those put forward. There was nowhere near enough information. If the authors wanted to write a book about the message of christ which cautioned against believing the Da Vinci Code they could have written another book, or written a longer, better presented book. It is maybe because of this confusion that the information on the Da Vinci Code (that this book is supposed to give from the title) is not what is expected (no room left after the preachy part has taken over). Cracking Da Vinci's Code is a very opinionated and limited (in way of info) book.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished 1984 in the waiting room at the hospital today. I thouroughly enjoyed it.

How obvious it was that it was behind the picture!:( of course. :D It should have been..

I loved this book. Amy was right. There are some iconic moments in it, but it would be giving things away to say. Everyone knows, I think, what to expect of 1984 and I can't give more info without spoiling it, but I will say that it was one of my best reads this year so far, and I recommend it to everyone.The personal journey (if you can call it that) of the main character through the book is amazing,and the reality of it doesn't hit you till the end. The journey gathers speed throughout the book before coming to a climax that will both overwhelm and disgust the reader. I have probably said too much already. It really is amazing to read, if you can get past a couple of lengthy descriptions (more than worth doing).

I am still reading Gosh you Look Just Like Me, which I am enjoying and haven't decided what to go to next. Gosh you Look Just Like Me, as I said is the story of an adoptive boys search for his birth mother. Born after the war with no father, Keith was adopted by the neighbours of his grandparents (though he did not learn that for a long time). After an arduous life and finding faith he eventually find his birth mother and travels half way round the world to meet her and his namesake (his brother!). It is only ninety something pages long so I should finish it tonight or tomorrow.

I just typed a great review of the above book and then hit the back button on my mouse! Noooooooooo! Now I can't be bothered because I have a cut on my finger, so this will be short and sweet.

Keith has had a very interesting life and this book will appeal to anyone interested in searching for people, the life of a minister, agriculture, oppression of parents to children, and many other things. Keith is a family man. His book of course, talks about the local area of Burnley, and also Thornton, Ireland and other places. It is only a short book, so although the area detailing his ministry training and life in the church nay bore some people, the fullness of his life, the story behind his adoption and the finding of his family with his wife alongside him makes a heartwarming story.

• 3 weeks later...

After saying in another thread that I a finishing HP 5, I have left the baby bag, with book inside, in the car (either due to the stress of today's events or the rush getting out of the car before OH sped off). I am therefore starting Harry potter and the Deathly Hallows now (after a quick skim through HBP to refresh).

thank you. I'm just about doing it. I got frustrated tonight because Katie wouldn't go to sleep. I fed her again then just left her too it as I was in no mood to be in same room as her. Now I don't feel like doing anything, but I have not had any time off housework and children since at least Friday. I'm just drinking a coffee and catching up here, then I'll fold the washing and clean the cupboard, then i am taking HP to bed.

Thanks Louise. You are probably right. I can't wait to get onto some other books though. I hope this phase will go soon. It is proably related to all the stuff I have done this wk, (which includes cleaning out a whole cupboard after having a mouse in the kitchen).

Edited by Icecream

I have not had any time off housework.

Know how you feel IceCream - it can get very frustrating at times - especially when you want a moment to yourself. Hang on in there. :thud:

I have been griping today about the fact that everyone in the house is off (school, college, work) except me who is still doing all the unpaid labour and it's harder with everyone in the house! Moan over - one day I will be a lonely old lady wishing I had a house full of people to look after! :lol:

Aww, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to moan. Well OK maybe I did, but I feel much better now all my jobs are done, even if I do have about 200 posts in the "what's going on with you today" thread to catch up on:lol:. Harry Potter time!

Don't apologise for moaning - like I say I've had a good go today also!:thud:

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I kept having to put it down for the kids and at first I read t slow because I didn't want to finish it, but near the end I couldn't put it down.

Even when it said Harry had to die

It was very well written with plenty to keep fans going.

I shall catch up with the posts either later or tomorrow when I have time. In the meantime I am reading The House At Riverton by Kate Morton.

In the meantime I am reading The House At Riverton by Kate Morton.

I'm starting this next - I'm looking forward to it after hearing so many good things about it.

• 3 months later...

I haven't posted on here for a long time!!I read The House At Riverton by Kate Morton and lost my notes about it. I was not expecting the ending.

I just could not believe that she would do that.

The relationship between Hannah and Grace was very interesting.

I also loved how it happened that she was related to Ursula.

I listened to an audio version of The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad, a highly interesting, but not so very informative book about Afghan culture. I have also posted in the relevant reading circle thread.

I am struggling through my blog a penguin classic book, THe Book of the Courtier by Baldasare Castiglione. It is very interesting as a cultural book, and as a guide as to how to live a respectful life, but the way it is written (a conversation in written form) is rather tedious.

• 6 months later...

I didn't read very much over the winter. I hope my will to read is coming back now. After opening and closing quite a few books on my pile, I decided to continue The Savannah Vampire Chronicles, with the second and third books in the series, and they brought back my reading mojo. They are absolutely brilliant books, with lots of great (and very real) characters. I think that is what I like about them. The characters have a way of being real, even though the main ones are vampires and shapeshifters.

I am now reading A Small Part of History by Peggy Elliot, an early reading book, due for pulication in August, which I am reading thanks to this lovely forum:D. It is supposed to be a serious book, but it is also very funny in places. It hasn't quite got going yet, but promises to be a good read.

Edited by Icecream

• 1 month later...

I have posted my thoughts on A Small Part Of History in the relevant thread.

After that I read Entertaining Angels by Joanna Bell. I recommend this book highly. It is an easy read, but heart renching and beautiful. It is the story of an angel, of a little girl with autism brought beautifully and lovingly to life by this book, and of family and forgiveness (those two words are on the front of the book, but they are entwined within the lives of all the characters). I fell in love with all the characters in this book, and felt for them all at some point. It is one of those books with obvious happy endings, but also keeps you reading and wondering.

I even cried at one point which isn't like me..

when Hebe went missing

I am now reading After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell

It is. I have another note to add about it. The book brings to attention the little girl's autism and talks about the condition, and its prejudices as well as the love it can bring. The book isn't really about autism, but it manages to help the reader see the condition from different angles. There are lot's of angels in the book too, but only if the reader is able to spot them all.

• 2 weeks later...

After You'd Gone is an amazing book. It is emotional and thoughtful.

I spent most of the book thinking that John had left Alice, when all the time he had died such a tragic death, leaving his young wife. The ending was very open. I would like to have known a bit more.

I'm reading Eragon at the moment from the library, and also In Search of Adam, but I want to read that one on my own, so it may take a while.

• 5 weeks later...

Eragon was a great read, but I am not yet sure whether I want to read the rest of the books. I will give Eldest a go. I am just not sure there are enough interesting characters and plot action to keep me going. I could well be wrong though!! I did love Eragon.

There was some blatant copying of LOTR in Eragon, especially to do with Tronjheim. I loved Saphira's character. She is very stong and wise. I don't know why it took me so long. My read has slowed down since starting it. Hopefully the next one won't take long.

I am currently reading Stargazing by Linda Gillard and enjoying it very much. It really is intriguing to understand what it must be like to be blind. I had heard that the book portrays it very well, but you really have to read it to see. It is beautiful.