Icecream's Reading blog

Icecream

Eragon was a great read, but I am not yet sure whether I want to read the rest of the books. I will give Eldest a go. I am just not sure there are enough interesting characters and plot action to keep me going. I could well be wrong though!! I did love Eragon.

There was some blatant copying of LOTR in Eragon, especially to do with Tronjheim. I loved Saphira's character. She is very stong and wise. I don't know why it took me so long. My read has slowed down since starting it. Hopefully the next one won't take long.

I am currently reading Stargazing by Linda Gillard and enjoying it very much. It really is intriguing to understand what it must be like to be blind. I had heard that the book portrays it very well, but you really have to read it to see. It is beautiful.

I'm with you on Eragon, thought the same, but in many ways Eldest was better for me, and there's another one Brisingar.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on Eragon, thought the same, but in many ways Eldest was better for me, and there's another one Brisingar.

Thanks, Yes I'd noticed Brisingr. I will probably take a look at Eldest. I'll reserve it from the library when I have a gap in my TBRs.

Kate - I like the way things are described in stargazing too, but then I often see the world in terms of music and can identify with that to a certain extent. I love the way Gillard takes you into the world of the blind. She does it very well. It really makes you think. A rare talent.

Stargazing was brilliant. It really made me think about how I see the world, and what it would be like to be blind. In fact it made me think about lots of things.

I haven't read much over the weekend due to beng busy and having a cold but last night I started a short christian book Nice Girls Don't Change The World by Lynne Hybels, wife of the pioneering Bill Hybels. The book is nice and short, so I am not sure it effectively sends the message, but it has certainly made me think about a few things to do with my relationship with God, which is why I bought the book and have been wanting to read it for a while. It is inspiring to Christian women. Highly recommended.

Lynne Hybels faith is absolutely amazing. I think her book could realy help a lot of women, but would be much more helpful if it was longer.

After starting it and then getting engrosed in other books I am going back to In Search of Adam, but will read it alongside another book, maybe a christian one. I'll have to look on my christian bookshelves.

I wanted to read The Memory Keeper's Daughter but it isn't due in the library till tomorrow, so maybe I will get it on Wed when we go.

• 1 month later...

I have so much to read. I have three christian books on the go, as well as In Search of Adam. I'm currently reading the Memory Keeper's daughter, which I am finding slow, though interesting. Does it pick up pace at all? It has taken me ages to get half way and I just want to finish it now.

In the meantime I have read Blood Ties and Emotional Geology. I found Emo Geo somewhat disappointing, but it was a good read. It had some moments that made me think, and some parts were written beautifully. Blood Ties was riveting. I recommend it highly.

I could totoally have understood if Erin had stolen Natasha. She had such a hard life, and probably a lot of that was due to the way her parents were. Not letting her have her own baby was terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, The Memory Keeper's Daughter took me so long to read that I haven't got to Footprints In The Sand. It was a waste of time reading that book. It had a good idea behind it, but the characters were rather dull and I didn't really enjoy reading it.

I've moved on to Raven Hart's The Vampire's Betrayal, which I have been trying to get bookrings out of the way for. It is great. Once again Raven Hart is keeping me entertained. I didn't get much read in the car at the weekend or at Mum's because OH and the children wanted my attention, but I have nearly finished it. There is so much going on the pages just race along. I saw a few things coming, but that does not spoil the enjoyment. It is interesting to see different things coming together, and the Mayan civilisation is definitely something I would like to read more about.

OK, The Memory Keeper's Daughter took me so long to read that I haven't got to Footprints In The Sand. It was a waste of time reading that book. It had a good idea behind it, but the characters were rather dull and I didn't really enjoy reading it.

That's good to know! Do you think it's just not your kind of book or would you say its really one to avoid? I have it on my wishlist at the moment.

Hmm.. The Memory Keeper's Daughter seems to be one of those 'marmite' books. I, for one, really liked it, and you can see a few different views on it here.

It probably is fairly long and descriptive, for what it is, but for me that worked. I guess it's one you have to judge for yourself.. although I do think it can be hard to approach a book with an open mind once you've read negative views.

Ooh Raven is sooo good.

But why did William have to die? Of course if you ask me, I will say my favourite character is Jack, but secretly it has to be William.:lol::lol:

I loved the vampire's Betrayal, but it was over so quick. There is so much going on, so many intriguing events. Now I have to buy the next book!!

I'm finishing In Search of Adam at the moment, because it's about time I did.

Edited by Icecream

I finished In Search of Adam a few days ago but it might take me a while to write a review for it.

After a book that emotional I have gone onto a christian book Before You Hit The Wall by Danny Lehman, a book about self discipline, lent to me by Kate. Kate I'm sorry for taking so long with it. it won't take long to read then you can have it back.