Cold Mountain - Charles Frazer

The Hobbit - J.R.R tolkien (Reread)

Emma - Jane Austen (50pg)

Angels and Christians - MJ White

Empress Orchid - Anchee Min

This Present Darkness - Frank Peretti

The Hogfather - Terry Pratchett

READ in 2007

The Hogfather - Terry Pratchett (cont'd)

The Vampire's Seduction - Raven Hart

Karma - Holly A Harvey

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell

Mist Over Pendle - Robert Neill

My Sister's Child - Lyn Andrews

Cracking the Da Vinci Code - JL Garlow

1984 - George Orwell

Gosh You Look Just Like ME - Keith Richardson

Harry Potter 3, 4, 5, & 7

The House at Riverton - Kate Morton

The bookseller of Kabul - Asne Steierstad

The Book of the Courtier -Baldasare Castiglione

READ IN 2008

Out - Natsuo Kirino

The Vampire's Secret - Raven Hart

The Vampire's Kiss - Raven Hart

A Small Part of History -

Bonfire of The Vanities - Tom Wolfe

Entertaining Angels by Joanna Bell

After You'd Gone - Maggie O'Farrell (Bookring)

Strata - Terry Pratchett (audio)

Eragon - Christopher paolini

Nice Girls Don't Change The World- Lynne Hybels

Stargazing by Linda Gillard

Blood Ties - Sam Heyes (Bookring)

Emotional Geology - Linda Gillard (Bookring)

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

In Search of Adam - Caroline Smailes

ON MY TO READ SHELF

The End of Mr Y - Scarlett (Bookring)

Fanny Hill

A Christmas Carol (reading circle)

The Silmarillion J.R.R Tolkien

My Dark Eyed Girl - Wendy Robertson

Moby Dick Herman Melville

Moody - John Pollock

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Jules Verne

The Divine Secrets of the Yaya Sisterhood - Rebecca Wells

Shindler's List - Thomas Keneally

An Advancment of Learning - Reginald Hill

The Black Sun - James Twining

Hot Latin Lovers - Michelle Reid, Sara Craven and Sophie Weston

Poirot's Early Cases - Agatha Christie

Flesh and Blood - Jonathan Kellerman

Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

Modern Music - Paul Griffiths

Black Beauty - Anna Sewell

A Lifetime Burning - Linda Gillard

The Vampire's Betrayal - Raven Hart

Tolkien Illustrated Encyclopedia - David Day

Oscar Wilde - The Complete Works

Nine Coaches Waiting - Mary Stewart

For Whom The Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway

The Lovely Bones - Alice Seabold

The Black Magician trilogy (bookring)

TO BE BOUGHT/LOANED

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H Lawrence

The Divine Matrix - Gregg Braden

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

VALIS - Philip K. Dick.

The Innocent - Posie Graeme-Evans

Broken April – Ishmael Kadare_

If on a winter's night a traveller - Italo Calvino

Mystical Paths and Glamorous Powers – Susan Howatch

The Debt To Pleasure - John Lanchester

Plain Truth - Jodie Picoult

The Golem’s Eye – Jonathan Stroud

Marius Brill 'Making Love - A Conspiracy of the Heart'

Cat Weatherhill – Barkbelly

Tainted Blood – Arnaldur Indridason

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom

Everville - Clive Barker

Good Omens - Neil Gaiman

Piercing the Darkness - Frank Peretti

The Rainbow Bridge - Aubrey Flegg

Jean M Auel’s ‘Earth Children’

A Piece of Cake - Cupcake brown

Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

Before I die - Jenny Downham

The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Escape- Carolyn Jessop

Pooh and the Philosophers - John Tyerman Williams

The Music Teacher - Barbara Hall

Freudian essay

Therapy- Sebastian Fitzek

The Last Empress by Empress Orchid

Currently reading:- Before You Hit The Wall by Danny Lehman

Edited by Icecream

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold Mountain was a good book. The chapters skip back and forth between the two love birds journeys. One more physical, showing the brutal fighting side of war, as well as how various obscure races deal with it, and one that is more on the emotional/mental side (though Inman has a journey of the mind too of course), coping with civilian life in wartime. This is from Ada's view, and those around her too.

It is very well written, with verses from literature here and there and descriptive passages (supposedly from a book of Inman's). All of these are cleverly inserted. This book is designed to make the readers think about the other side of war. I have not looked up yet whether Charles Frazier is anti-war, or what his views are.

It is very well written, with verses from literature here and there and descriptive passages (supposedly from a book of Inman's). All of these are cleverly inserted. This book is designed to make the readers think about the other side of war. I have not looked up yet whether Charles Frazier is anti-war, or what his views are.

I found this book a bit of a disappointment...all though well written I found it a bit of a chore to get through. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. Wouldn't do if we all liked the same...and I was a bit disappointed with the ending.

• 4 weeks later...

Angels and Christians by MJ White is a scary romantic adventure story about a brother and sister, and their life on an island, with the aim of them realising God’s plan for their lives. It is a book that addresses, through the adventures of these two people, both devastating and uplifting effects of humanity, both good and evil.

Christian witnesses his mother’s rape and death, then his sister Angel goes silent. They, and their father move away to an island, where paradise abides, (Angel even starts talking), until things start to go wrong..

The father dies at the hands of the son. Christian has sex with his sister, and she turns silent. She leaves the island and he goes after her..

Through a series of adventures, in which Christian searches for Angel, meets some interesting people, and goes to jail for no reason, both loving and evil thing are shown about people, yet ironically it is these things that lead the siblings back to each other.

It transpires that they are not brother and sister, and when Christian eventually arrives back at the island, he finds that he has twins, a boy and a girl.

This is a story of retribution, revelation, love, deceit, identity and love. There is a passage in the book that explains good and evil, in a Christian context, saying that one must triumph over the other, giving the character of each, while in the book, love and goodness triumph against all odds.

All of these topics together, plus the story, and the unexpected ending make a very interesting and thought provoking read. I of course, being a Christian agree that love will triumph over evil, as I think most people would do, and also through experience, I believe that circumstance, experience and character can attribute to how good or bad a person seems to be, and also whether they are truly like that on the inside. Only God, I think, knows this.

I am about now rereading 'The Fellowship of the Ring' by J.R.R Tolkien. I want to read this and the others quick because I want to read 'The Mist Over Pendle' (a local book). May pick Empress Orchid if I can too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

**List updated**

I went to my mother in law's yesterday and she gave me 'My Sister's Child' by Lyn Andrews to read. It looks like I have to bump up my list to fit another book at the front. Will I get to my own bookshelf??

My Sister's Child is set in Liverpool where I went to university, and where my maternal family is from, so maybe I will recognise some of it. It is also a book someone has leant to me so it looks like I'll have plenty of threads to post in when it is finished.

I'm still on This Present Darkness at the moment. Will try and finish it before I have to renew it again.

I have just decided that I should not read 'This Present Darkness' before going to bed. Will I stick to it??

I had a horrid dream about evil spirits

and the strongman

last night, then woke up thinking there were evil spirits all over the house especially in the bedroom. I managed to convince myself it wasn't true and go back to sleep but I have been very tired today and now I have to wake myself up to go to band..:blush:

I'm definitely enjoying the book, and am not sure yet of my reaction to it because I feel there is something unexpected going to happen, but from what I know so far I am intrigued and enlightened. I think I just have a very vulnerable sleeping mind. OH thinks I'm mad..:blush:

I think it depends which bits are read before bed too. The last two nights I slept fine after reading substantial sections.

I am sure after finishing the book I will have another outlook on it. It is a book that most definitely changes your opinions and expectations right the way through.

**List updated**

This Present Darkness is the best book I have read this year. I can't really say very much without givng the book away, as it all comes together in the last few chapters. I highly recommend this book to everybody.

It is a book that brings the innate human curiosity of life into the real world. It is a story of human will, the fight of good and evil, and provides answers to many questions we all ask, whilst pushing us to ask more questions. I will certainly be made to reflect upon the issues that from this book.

I'm now reading My Sister's Child, a very different book. It is a romance story. Not deep like This Present Darkness. As the author writes in local dialect, I am already in a completely different world after just a few pages.

• 2 months later...

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult: haven't read this one by her. I'm on my third novel by Jodi, which is something I normally don't do - read more than two books by the same author. I read My Sisters Keeper by her, and loved it! read Nineteen Minutes and also loved that, which is coming in March/April, I forget. it had the same twist at the end in the way My Sisters Keeper did. I'm now reading Keeping Faith which is absolutely phenominal so far! I saw the Lifetime movie of Plain Truth which sets me off to reading the novel. I, for some reason, cannot read a book after seeing the movie. and it was a good movie, though wouldn't interest me in reading it.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom is wonderful! a slim read, not even 150 pages I believe, but could definitely cram quite a few life lessons and theories and really make you think, in such a few pages. There really is no plot, as there normally isn't in Alboms books, but still definitely wonderful.

thanks everydayxangels. I've just started Mist Over pendle by Robert Neill. I've been aching to read it for ages, and as I can't get the bookseller yet couldn't resist. I wanted something to read last night, but I couldn't get back into My Sister's Child.

"The forest of Pendle during the early seventeenth century: a wild inaccessible corner of Lancashire where the ancient fear of demons and witches is still part of life - and death.

When several local people die in, mysterious circumstances, Squire Roger Nowell dismisses talk of withcraft as superstition, but soon a series of hideous desecrations take place, and there are unmistakable signs that a black coven is assembling to plot a campaign of evil and destruction.."

Mist Over Pendle is a local book. The valley of Pendle is next to where i live, the hill being only 5/10 minutes drive in many directions (big hill). The story is about the Pendle witches. If I remeber the legend correctly, there were nineteen women caught, tried and killed all from the area. As I have grown up around this legend and its geography this book has sentimental value..

When I was a child my gran lived in Scotforth near Lancaster. I've loads of happy memories of visiting her there and was always vaguely aware of the Pendle witches - this would be a good book for me to read sometime.

Judy - Mist Over Pendle is a fiction book. Obviously it accounts real events, but is written as a fiction book and is quite long, if you get my meaning. I'm sure it is good, but in addition to this you may want to get your hands on the shorter book The Pendle Witch Trial 1612 by Rachel A.C. Hasted, and also

The Wonderfull Discoverie of Witches in the Countie of Lancaster, reprint of the 1612 book by Thomas Potts, ISBN 1-85936-100-5, which is actually a pamphlet written by Potts, a lawyer in the court at the time of the witches trial, which Hasted's book is based on.

Looking in the front of Hasted's book I see that i am correct there were nineteen witches. They were not all tried together though.

Hi Amy My graduation was only four months ago (due to the strikes), but now it does seem like an age. I studied a BAC Music/Theology and Religious Studies at Liverpool Hope, althoug hope only became a university in 2005 so my course is accredited by the University of Liverpool.

Four years at uni, I know many things but still don't understand why they named the Theology course twice!:lol: