Gilmore Girls

frankie

I really liked Jess when he came back in a later season and

convinced Rory to go back to Yale

. And also when she visited him in Philadelphia.

I think of Dean, Jess and Logan, Jess was definitely the better choice for her.

I completely agree with everything that you've said. In the later season

Jess had matured a lot and he would've been the responsible and yet wild kind of person Rory would've wanted him to be in the second (third?) season.

Plus, Luke would've been so proud of him!

Dean was always nice, reliable, funny and goodlooking, the perfect first boyfriend like Lorelai said, but let's face it, he wasn't up to par with Rory. I'm not saying he was stupid, but Rory needed some kind of a challenge. Jess offered that. And Logan? Oh man don't get me started. He was all wrong on so many levels. Everytime I saw him I wanted to put my fingers down my throat.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D So you're going to have a bucket handy for when you watch the later seasons?

I think both Jess and Rory would have been able to maintain their independence if they had gotten together later on, but still been able to be really close. With Rory going off on the campaign trail, Jess would have been really happy for her, whereas I think Logan would have tried to stop her, or get her to do something else more in line with what he wanted.

Yay, the Gilmore Girls thread is up and running again!! I think the most I miss about cable TV is not getting to see this show :smile2:. I have the first season but that's it - man how I would love the cool big squishy case of all the seasons!

I agree about Logan (gag me, eww) and Jess. Jess got his act together later on and Luke would have been proud of him. Just one more season to see everyone happy would be the best! I'm swooning just thinking about it :D.

I know there were rumours of a GG movie but I doubt that will happen.

I also have somewhere a collection of transcripts of a S8 as written by fans of the series. Apparently it's supposed to be pretty good. I bet it would wrap everything up nicely, although of course it's not quite the same!

Look Kylie, we woke up peacefield just by talking about the Gilmore girls :D

:smile2: So you're going to have a bucket handy for when you watch the later seasons?

Hmmm, that would help me get thinner wouldn't it?? :D (Not that I would really do that you guys!)

Again, you hit the jackpot with your analysis Kylie! They would've had their own things going on for them, with Rory doing her thing and Jessie writing his books (and we could've all read them!!) and yet they would've been able to be close and happy about each other's successes. Logan would've just selfishly done his thing and expected Rory to adopt to his situation.

Yay, the Gilmore Girls thread is up and running again!! I think the most I miss about cable TV is not getting to see this show ;). I have the first season but that's it - man how I would love the cool big squishy case of all the seasons!

You don't have cable in your new apartment?

I agree about Logan (gag me, eww) and Jess. Jess got his act together later on and Luke would have been proud of him. Just one more season to see everyone happy would be the best! I'm swooning just thinking about it ;).

Exactly! It would've been so nice to see Luke being proud of Jessie and them getting to be all buddy buddy and close <3 And just like you said, it would've been so nice to watch a season where everyone's happy!! Not that it would make good TV for some people but I would've loved it! I wish it was a book series so we could write fan fiction about it but TV? It's so much harder. I'm not gonna lose weight just to be tall Dean!!

I know there were rumours of a GG movie but I doubt that will happen.

I also have somewhere a collection of transcripts of a S8 as written by fans of the series. Apparently it's supposed to be pretty good. I bet it would wrap everything up nicely, although of course it's not quite the same!

I think I've heard the same rumours but I don't see it happening :D Everytime I hear these kinds of things it's Lauren Graham saying she'd be happy to do it but only if Alexis would play Rory and would be on the movie, and yet I never hear Alexis saying anything positive about carrying on with the Gilmore Girls. :smile2:

The transcripts of S8 must be interesting but I have to say I don't want to read them, I want to see them played by the actors ;)

I'm awake! :D I have had a long day but I'm still up, yes sirree.

I've read some pretty good fan fiction for GG lately and I know there's a big community for it. I haven't dug into any continuing seasons, but that's a good idea :D. I've just been looking for stories to do with Luke/Lorelei and Rory/Jess ;).

Self-imposed budgetary cuts have nixed cable, but really it's not something I need to have. No worries though, I have the internet and you lovely peeps! :smile2:

I'm awake! :D I have had a long day but I'm still up, yes sirree.

Silly me, it's so darn hard keeping up with the time differences on here and all. See, I've been talking to Kylie who's just woken up and gone to work (some time ago now) so I just easily figured we also woke you up. Instead, you're living our past! See you tomorrow peacefield :smile2: I'm going to bed soon, good night/morning/evening! ;)

There are a few books that were written about the Gilmore Girls, based on certain episodes by the look of it. Here's an Amazon link to the first book. I don't think they'd be my cup of tea, though.

Good night Frankie! I really should get back to work. I've been naughty today (although it's now lunchtime so I can relax guilt-free).

And I agree with everything you've both said about Jess/Luke. :D

There are a few books that were written about the Gilmore Girls, based on certain episodes by the look of it. Here's an Amazon link to the first book. I don't think they'd be my cup of tea, though.

Good night Frankie! I really should get back to work. I've been naughty today (although it's now lunchtime so I can relax guilt-free).

And I agree with everything you've both said about Jess/Luke. ;)

I have to confess, I've bought the books :D At least the first four, I don't know if there are more. They were quite good, I mean not magnificent literature that should be read by all but as a fan I enjoyed them. Easy, enjoyable reads :smile2: If I remember correctly, they were all written from Rory's perspective which I found a bit annoying as I would've enjoyed an omniscient narrator, but all in all I don't regret buying them. I'm not going to recommend them though, unless one's a hardcore fan who doesn't mind spending the money. Oh man if we lived closer I'd lend you the books!

edit: okay now I'm seriously off to bed! ->

Edited by frankie

I thought I'd seen them all, until yesterday, when I caught the episode from Season 3 called 'Dear Richard and Emily'. I actually cried.

It was one of those episodes that captures the complexity of all the relationships, and shows just how complicated and painful things can get when people are unable to communicate properly.

It was an episode where I felt for Emily and her daft (at times) sense of propriety that prevents her from being nurturing toward Lorelai, but most especially I felt for Lorelai herself. Her sense of aloneness was so well conveyed.

I thought I'd seen them all, until yesterday, when I caught the episode from Season 3 called 'Dear Richard and Emily'. I actually cried.

It was one of those episodes that captures the complexity of all the relationships, and shows just how complicated and painful things can get when people are unable to communicate properly.

It was an episode where I felt for Emily and her daft (at times) sense of propriety that prevents her from being nurturing toward Lorelai, but most especially I felt for Lorelai herself. Her sense of aloneness was so well conveyed.

Chrissy, when I first saw that episode (years ago) I didn't like it because there were weird people playing Lorelai and Chris. And it shifted between the present and the past. After seeing it a couple of more times I've actually realised that because it's a really painful episode to see, I might have thought it was boring to watch, when actually it was really insightful and makes us understand more about the current relationship between Emily and Lorelai.

The Emily and Lorelai relationship is definitely the most complicated and layered in the show. I used to not like the scenes that were about those two but the older I get the more fascinated I am about it, and I actually understand Emily a lot better than I used to. She has her own reasons for doing the things she does. (I'm not saying she's right to do them though) And the things she does to Lorelai make Lorelai the person that she is now and make her 'struggle' to be a better person. I mean, Emily could've messed her up real bad, and yet Lorelai has turned out to be such a wonderful mother herself.

It's all about the lack of communication! I love the scenes where Emily gets drunk or otherwise lets her guard down and tells Lorelai things that make her understand her mother a little bit better. And the episodes where Richard's Mum is around, Emily is absolutely freaked and it's so funny to Lorelai, because she's not used to seeing Emily like that.

Edit: One of my most favorite scenes is when Emily, Richard and his Mum are in Dragonfly Inn (or was it the Independence Inn?) having a dinner, and Emily had being obeying and curtseeing Richard's Mum for so long. Then Richard's Mum (what was her name?) said something that Emily did not like, and then she requested the next food course would be served. She told Emily to eat faster because they couldn't be served before Emily was done, and that was it for Emily. She started staring Richard's Mum quite determinedly, and cut her last piece of meat in tiny little pieces and ate forever :D And Lorelai was so proud of her when she heard about that over the phone :D

Edited by frankie

• 1 month later...

I watched a bunch of episodes yesterday from the end of season 3 and the beginning of season 4. I really love the episode entitled 'The Festival of Living Art'. I'd never seen anything like it before and it always blows me away when I see it. The costumes are so stunning and real!

And it's also the episode where Gil joins Lane's band. :)

For some reason I woke up yesterday in a Gilmore Girls mood, Kylie, so I watched the first 6 eps of season one :). I like seeing how everything began with the series.

I don't have it down in my head as far as what things were happening in what season though. Where do Jess and Rory stand around the episode you mentioned 'Festival of Living Art?' And is Lorelei dating Luke at that point?

Gil was a great addition to Lane's band ;). I always missed Dave, but Gil seemed like a fun guy to have around :D.

Jess took off to be with his father a few episodes ago. ;) Rory seems to be doing OK and is just settling into Yale.

I wish Luke and Lorelai were dating! I don't like where they're at in their respective lives at the moment. Luke had married that lawyer woman (her name escapes me at the moment) and they were getting divorced but now they've decided to start dating. Lorelai is about to start seeing *shudder* Digger Stiles. I thought he always had a beard but he started off clean-shaven and then started growing a beard.

Oh, and Paris has just met Asher Fleming. :)

ETA: Oh, and I always kind of liked Gil, but his hair annoys me. It's too girly for my liking. I miss Dave too. He was a really good addition to the show. I think he must have left the show to be in The OC.

Edited by Kylie

Thanks for updating me on the goings on, Kylie! Now I definitely have a better idea of what was happening when. Ugh, Jess. I don't think I'll ever understand why the writers chose to have his character leave the show. He and Rory were really good together!

Yuck, Digger! I never knew what Lorelei saw in him. At least we know after Digger she finally starts dating Luke. Luke and his lady lawyer thing was an odd story line I always thought. Was her name Nicole?

:) I forgot about Paris and Asher! I liked her much better with Doyle.

I know what you mean about Gil's hair. I wonder if they didn't want to cut it because it was kind of his signature, singing for Skid Row in real life and all?

Why would you two want to cut Gil's hair short?? What's wrong with you two, don't you get rock 'n roll and the hair that goes with it? (Do I need to say I have a thing for longhaired guys... ;) Well, not all of them and not Gil, in particular, but hey you need to respect the do! :D)

I must have tried about a dozen different types of Pop Tarts. They're all good in their own way. I only have one for breakfast if I'm running late and don't have time for a proper breakfast (which is most days ).

There are a dozen or more flavors?? :D I'm sorry Kylie, but I couldn't imagine having one for breakfast, I couldn't stummick it in the morning.

I have no idea what Fig Newtons are either! And they were mentioned on one of the episodes I watched today, when the Gilmores went to the Harvard/Yale game and Rory brought some along. Maybe one of our American friends can enlighten us?

I've just recently realised what figs are so at least I think I have a general idea about the flavor but I have no idea about the texture. They sound like cookies to me? I was thinking about the exact episode you were talking about when I mentioned the 'Newtons! :) Another great episode, aye? Richard's having so much fun in his alma mater with his old school friends :lol: I love all the traditions they have, very Ivy League. Horrible for Emily though, I always feel so sorry for her in that episode :D It's the start of a really rocky patch for the two of them.

Edit: Now I almost forgot: any other Gilmore Girly snacks you can think of? My mind is totally blank at the moment :/

Edited by frankie

I like long hair on guys, but I just don't like it on Gil. It looks too...fluffy, and too much like girl hair. :)

I have a really sweet tooth so I can easily eat junk food for breakfast, unfortunately! ;)

I really felt sorry for Emily too. I guess I always did in the past, but with my own recent relationship troubles, I can sympathise with her even more. It was so wrong of Richard not to tell her, but also wrong of Emily to blame Lorelai for it (she always manages to twist things to be Lorelai's fault!)

AAARGH! You guys are killing me. I've never seen Gilmore Girls, but all this talk of Rory and her reading list, frankie's avatar and all the snack foods, and I'm now hunting out where I can get the DVD's (as they're currently only showing series 5 over here as far as I can see), so that I can go back, start from the beginning and see what this is all about!

I like long hair on guys, but I just don't like it on Gil. It looks too...fluffy, and too much like girl hair. :)

Well okay it's a bit on the fluffy side, I have to give you that :D A bit like an 80s perm gone straight but with all the volume still intact!

I really felt sorry for Emily too. I guess I always did in the past, but with my own recent relationship troubles, I can sympathise with her even more. It was so wrong of Richard not to tell her, but also wrong of Emily to blame Lorelai for it (she always manages to twist things to be Lorelai's fault!)

It was definitely wrong of Richard to not tell Emily about it and have such a secret for so many years. But on the other hand, what does it tell us about Emily, that Richard doesn't feel safe telling her something like that? Richard knew she'd be frantic and would try to forbid him to see Pennilyn. And that would create a huge argument, every year. I kind of understand where he's coming from too. Not that I condone his going behind her back.

And you're totally right, Emily always finds a way to blame everything on Lorelai. They have one of the most complicated mother-daughter-relationships I've ever seen on TV. I hate it the way they always get a little bit closer every now and then, and then they find a way to take two steps back. Like cats and dogs.

AAARGH! You guys are killing me. I've never seen Gilmore Girls, but all this talk of Rory and her reading list, frankie's avatar and all the snack foods, and I'm now hunting out where I can get the DVD's (as they're currently only showing series 5 over here as far as I can see), so that I can go back, start from the beginning and see what this is all about!

:D;):lol: Yay!! You've made a good choice chesilbeach and you won't regret it! Oh I can't wait for you to get to season 2.... Get the DVD's and start watching, asap!! :D

Edited by frankie

And you're totally right, Emily always finds a way to blame everything on Lorelai. They have one of the most complicated mother-daughter-relationships I've ever seen on TV. I hate it the way they always get a little bit closer every now and then, and then they find a way to take two steps back. Like cats and dogs.

Yes, it's so sad. I always feel like cheering when they have a nice moment together, and then groaning when it all goes wrong again (seemingly only a few minutes later!) I would like to think that one day they would reach a point in their relationship where they didn't argue as much.

A good case in point is the episode where they go to the day spa. They go to a pub and start having a really nice time, and then Emily accuses Lorelai of making her cheat on Richard when she dances with another man. At least that one ends a little nicely again when Lorelai convinces Emily to steal a bathrobe. :)