What's the first thing you do?

SueK

I pick up the book and see how it feels - the weight, the cover (as in does it have any weird textures on it), then fan open the book to see how it falls open or if the spine is too stiff.

If that's all okay, then I read the blurb on the back, or scan the first page if there's no blurb.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the title/author/cover I read the back of the book and then possibly the first page. If it is the next in a trilogy though I would automatically buy it if enjoyed the first one

I just start to read from the very first word the author intended to start the book with. No introduction and absolutely no synopsis. Not to talk about the various unbereable phrases or adjectives from the reviewers: "Compelling"; "Dazzling"; "It will struck you."; "It will haunt you". I really can't stand them. Every new book is covered by these falsities, I mean if you're a journalist from a very respectable journal, then write something short and efficient, not just a word, which don't even resembles the book.

;)

If it's by one of my favourite authors then there are no checks!! Anyone else gets the full check - title, front picture, the back blurb, side panel blurb, then I check the style of writing, ramdom reading of paragraphs of several pages and then the price.

Me I am very much touched by the art work, if it is badly done or in bad taste, I don't go much farther unless it is a work crafted by a classic Master. After that it is the title, titles say so much, oui, and they either draw me in or repel me.

I refuse to read anything on jacket or inside, and I don't want a single hint what the story is about, I just plunge into the book as if I were living the part of the primary character, just go on a journey with no hint of what is to come.

I refuse to read anything on jacket or inside, and I don't want a single hint what the story is about, I just plunge into the book as if I were living the part of the primary character, just go on a journey with no hint of what is to come.

Gosh that's brave of you! I'm not sure I could do that.

very sweet avy Loopylu,

No, not brave, but I always think that everybody's life is a once upon a time oui, and we don't wake up in the morning and know how the whole day will go, so too, I like to not know anything much when I read a book for the first time. It is adventure, for good or bad, all the way.!

There are two important things I check for, among others, as I evaluate a book at the library or a book store.

First, what is the font size of the type? My older eyes are much more comfortable reading medium or larger sized type than the extremely small print often found in books published long ago and even today. Some paperbacks also use print that is entirely too small for comfortable reading.

I'm far from requiring large print books but unfortunately I struggle with the smaller print.

Secondly, I HATE reading books by authors who don't understand the concept of the paragraph. If I see entire pages consisting of the same paragraph, or perhaps just two, I oftentimes skip the book for that reason alone.

If I was able to understand the proper use of the paragraph in grade school, why can't people who are paid to write do likewise? (This complaint also applies to some who post on internet forums.)

If one, or heaven forbid, both of these defects are present in a book, it has to be something very special for me to take on the task of reading it. If the book happens to be one I'm really interested in reading, I'll attempt to search out another edition.

dan :censored:

Well if I'm looking for the next book in a series or I'm familiar with the author, I might look at the blurb but generally just jump in and purchase it.

If I'm just generally book shopping with no author or book in mind, the cover is normally the first thing I notice. I really like John Connolly's Book of Lost Things red and black cover. It has quite a rough texture and the pattern created by the climbing ivy is really pretty. Then I'll read the blurb and first paragraph to see if it's something I'm interested in and written in a style I'm happy with. Then I'll buy it :censored:

Seeing as I buy a lot of classics and don't look around much for newer books, I tend to already know what I want, so there's no real need for me to open the book.

Sometimes I'll read the blurb anyway, and as there are often multiple editions of the book, I'll closely examine the various covers and prices and make my decision based on that (usually the cover will win out over price, even if it does cost me a little more).

I also like the idea of answering this question in terms of looking at my TBR pile, which is where I make my most difficult decisions. :smile2:

When I'm choosing my next book to read I'll scan all of my shelves and see which half a dozen or so seem to jump out at me. Then I'll carefully consider each one based on whether or not I feel like a long/short or heavy/light read, or whether the book is too similar in genre to one I recently finished.

I may also be influenced by books people are reading here, or have recently read and raved about, or if the book club show on TV here is about to read a book I already own but haven't read.

My goodness, so many things to consider! It's a wonder I have any time to read. :welcome:

I take a look at the title (since that's usually the only thing you can see without taking the book of the shelf), then the cover, and then the synopsis. Usually if I feel satisfied then, I'll buy it. I very rarely take a peek inside. And if it's a book by a favourite author I don't even do that much.

If its a book my an author that I know and like, I dont check it all really, might have a quick look at the back but that's about it.

If Im just looking for something different to read it's normally a title I go for first (as it's all you really see from the spine), then I will read the synopsis on the back. I just decide from there, never really open the book untill I have got it home xxx

Wow, it's interesting to read that there are so many ways of evaluating a book before buying.

As an aside, I popped into Smiths yesterday as they had a book offer if you bought The Times. The book is "Night Train to Lisbon" and I tried hard to read the back cover but got bored after the second line - easy to see why it was only

If I'm about to read a book, I always look to see how many pages the book has, and then work out how many I need to read per day to get through it in 5 days (which is how much I usually give myself per book, unless it's a particularly long one).

I normally read the ending to find out if I like it, and then crack on from the start. I also tend to judge books by their covers, I know this is a sin and I repent, but I often find it helps.

I'm right there with u. i scan the shelves to c which one pops out to me, but one thing i cant stand is reading the end of the book. i dont know how people live with it! reading the end ruins most of, if not all, of the book! honestly i think the sin is more in reading the end of the book first, rather than judging a book by its cover

So, my point is, I think you've got to have a gripping synopsis if you want buyers.

The synopsis is another major thing i look at. if the synopsis doesnt seem interesting to me, 90% of the time i wont bother taking a second glance at the book

If I buy books in a shop I will look at the title first, the cover (which doesn't normally sway me too much, although anything sinister looking catches my eye first) Then I'll read the back, then if there are any review comments inside I'll read them and then the first page or so to see if I like the feel and direction. I always do a flick through the book (although don't read any of the words, no idea why I do it, probably to get a feel of the book in my hand) I will also check the page numbers but thats the last thing, only really done if I have decided to buy the book.

If I buy a book online I will look at the title, the cover (most of the time) and then read a synopsis if there is one, if not then I'll read some reviews on it (which are hit and miss as alot of negative people go on to review more than positive I find) Books online normally come from recommends from other books I have read or am interested in so I feel if I enjoyed one there is a high chance I'll like it.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

It's always the cover that sucks me in, I can usually tell by the cover what the genre will be and will go for whatever genre kick i'm on and then read the blurb to see if it sounds appealing, if it does, then I buy it, if not I put it back!