What really bugs you?

Chimera

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, very annoying!

Oh and when complete strangers tell you to 'smile' or 'cheer up'. That makes me :D mad.

Agreed! Someone - a complete stranger - came up to me the other day and asked "who made you angry?". I'm not angry. I just don't smile 24/7. :D

"Cheer up, it might never happen"

Well obviously it just has if i look sad, angry or disappointed. Idiots.

Yeah i would find it annoying and unnerving if a stranger came up to me and told me to cheer up, it might never happen. Unnerving because i would be thinking "why are you studying my expression so closely??".

Another thing that really really annoys me is people being really loud in the cinema and banging your seat when they sit behind you, and then continue to talk really loud throughout the film. Thats why we tend to avoid sitting in front of a group of kids at a film. Shut up! :D

I dont mean to come across as a 80 year old misery guts but surely im not the only one annoyed by this.

Another thing that really really annoys me is people being really loud in the cinema and banging your seat when they sit behind you, and then continue to talk really loud throughout the film. Thats why we tend to avoid sitting in front of a group of kids at a film. Shut up! :D

On the rare occasion that I go to the cinema I make sure it's daytime, term time to avoid the hassle of inconsiderate fellow cinema users.

Something else that bugs me:

People who are constantly negative, complaining all the time. As bad as you think your life is, there is always someone who has it WAY worse.

People who are constantly negative, complaining all the time. As bad as you think your life is, there is always someone who has it WAY worse.

I agree. Particularly when they complain about ridiculously small things and then keep going on and on about it.

Office Politics. I don't want to be dragged in to your whining. I'm here to do my job. Nothing else. Leave me alone!

I'll second this too. And I'll expand it a little and say being asked to attend work social events you really don't want to attend. I've been invited to a colleague's 21st, but we're not great friends or anything so I know I was only asked out of obligation. It's for a night of partying and drinking (both activities I dislike) and I'm going to say I can't attend, but they'll inevitably ask why and I don't want to lie and make something up, but I can't exactly say that I just don't want to. Grrr...I hate being put on the spot.

And I'll expand it a little and say being asked to attend work social events you really don't want to attend. I've been invited to a colleague's 21st, but we're not great friends or anything so I know I was only asked out of obligation. It's for a night of partying and drinking (both activities I dislike) and I'm going to say I can't attend, but they'll inevitably ask why and I don't want to lie and make something up, but I can't exactly say that I just don't want to. Grrr...I hate being put on the spot.

My sister always has the best excuses, I don't know where she thinks them up from.

An excuse that works pretty well for me is:

I have to take my/moms/neighbours cat/chicken/hamster to the vets to be fixed/vaccinated/check-up and I don't know how long it will take. This works better if you make the pet up so that you don't feel guilty for saying Harry the hamster is ill, something contagious and you can't come into work this week, try not to kill Harry off too soon though. You can use him often although everyone at work will call you crazy hamster lady.:D

What bugs me along those same lines Kylie is that these social events always consist of drinking and clubbing, or in the case of staff parties, drinking and more drinking. I never went to any staff party in either of the places I worked, because I don't really drink, and I despised virtually everybody I worked with.

I need to work somewhere nerdy where their idea of a social event is going to the local gallery. If I had a local gallery. *sigh*

I need to get out of this country :D

Another thing that bugs me is when people consistanty spell or pronounce my name incorrectly. My landlord calls me 'Nollag' which IS actually a word in Irish, Christmas, which becomes 'An Nollaig' when used in just about any sentence. However, the pronounciation is different, and for some reason Irish people have a tendancy to call me the former, which is just a word and not a name, rather than 'Nollaig', which is (without the 'an') actually a name meaning 'Noelle'.

Popular spellings include, Nollag, Nolliag, Nolaig, and even Nollige. I've actually gotten Christmas cards with 'Nollaig Shona Dhuit' (Happy Christmas) written on the front, and my name spelt incorrectly inside. Consistently.

IT'S SO ANNOYING. My name is 7 letters long, it's hardly anti-disestablishmentarianism, THAT'S a word I'd forgive the misspelling of, and the pronunciation is exactly how it looks, but I can't articulate it on here, obviously.

Edited by Nollaig

People do the same thing to my last name, Noll! It's not a difficult name, but since it's not Smith or Jones, people seem to have a hard time with it. They want to add letters to it in weird places...why make it harder than it is?

I was watching a programme last night where a british male was working alongside a Polish (I think) man. When he was introduced, he said to his supervisor "I'll call him Bill, it's easier". His supervisor responded with something like "He would prefer to be called by his actual name". :D

If I have difficulty knowing the pronunciation of someone's name, I ask and try very hard to get it right! It really shouldn't be that hard to do should it?

I was watching a programme last night where a british male was working alongside a Polish (I think) man. When he was introduced, he said to his supervisor "I'll call him Bill, it's easier". His supervisor responded with something like "He would prefer to be called by his actual name". :D

If I have difficulty knowing the pronunciation of someone's name, I ask and try very hard to get it right! It really shouldn't be that hard to do should it?

I saw that program, that line he came out with is a bog standard racist remark that I would expect to hear from the mouth of a BNP member, infact the whole show to me came across very much as 'us and them'. The brits quite clearly proved, even though most of them were probably to thick to realise it, why people employ these foreigners. Because they dont phone in sick every 2 days!

I don't think ANY name can be THAT hard to pronounce. I worked with a quiet Polish woman called Agniezska, and it's really easy to say, but everyone called her 'Aga' just because it was easier to say. (It IS a nickname for the name Agniezska, but I know she preferred to be called by her full name, so I always did.)

I work with several Bosnians and Croations who have rather difficult names to pronounce but like with everything else, just practice it and ask them. To me it seems a wee bit disrespectful to just assume they don't mind being called 'Bill'.

Another thing that bugs me is when people consistanty spell or pronounce my name incorrectly.

Yep, i can relate to that one. My name is only 4 letters, how difficult is that? I get:

Kyle

Keel (this only annoys me in spelling cos my name is actually pronouced that way)

Ken

Kieth

Kel

Neil

:D Kiel, is it THAT hard?

Yep, i can relate to that one. My name is only 4 letters, how difficult is that? I get:

Kyle

Keel (this only annoys me in spelling cos my name is actually pronouced that way)

Ken

Kieth

Kel

Neil

:D Kiel, is it THAT hard?

Oh dear, I thought your name was Kyle... my bad...

I can sort of relate. My real first name is just plain Abby. Not Abigail, yet everyone (including members of my own family AND my father) calls me Abigail. Not cool...

Yeah i would find it annoying and unnerving if a stranger came up to me and told me to cheer up, it might never happen. Unnerving because i would be thinking "why are you studying my expression so closely??".

I dont mean to come across as a 80 year old misery guts but surely im not the only one annoyed by this.

I agree, I remember going to see a Harry Potter film a couple of years ago and a boy was sat behind me and I could hear him saying 'This is what happens next... blah, blah, blah' annoying! I try to go to the over 18 showings of films as much as possible now!

Also, who walks around with a smile on their face all the time? What's wrong with them!

Inconsiderate drivers! I swear some drivers drive around with their eyes closed!:D

I want to expand on this and say Amber Gamblers...those people who see an amber light and speed up! I'm a pedestrian and trying to cross the road with these types can be a nightmare.:D

Other drivers that don't indicate and expect you to be a mind reader, espeically on roundabouts!!! :D On a mini roundabout once and I thought they were going straight ahead seeing as they didn't indicate and I needed to go left. If I saw them indicating I would have given way to them but they didn't bother and they sat there given me such abuse until everyone else in my car started at them, I had 3 other people in, all of them said the other person didn't bother to indicate. It isn't such a hard thing to do and it does save lives and prevents accidents!!!

A council who are so incompetent and ignorant that they have not paid me any money for rent aid for five months now when I have been actively looking for work and keeping positive, and seem to refuse to backdate anything! More stress!