Susan Boyle / Britain's Got Talent

SueK

Me too. I thought she would be through because she was the last act and they always get through. I can't believe how much they liked her because I thought she was rubbish (maybe I just don't get it)...............

You and me both! :smile2:

I have to say I'm pretty fed up with the whole Susan Boyle thing . There's news on her everyday on some of the Finnish daily papers and it's really irritating. I would understand it better if it was the Finland's Got Talent -show and she was Finnish. Yes, she may have an amazing voice and blaa blaa, but we've covered that fact already, I don't think people are interested in knowing every single thing about her and her daily life. What started out as curious news about a real talent in a rough package is now turned into something else.

Mind you, I don't mind this thread here at all, it's just the Finnish newspapers that annoy me.

I`m amazed at the global reaction to Susan Boyle, poor you! I think it`s gone too far now. In my opinion she`s not even the best singer in the final.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`m amazed at the global reaction to Susan Boyle, poor you! I think it`s gone too far now. In my opinion she`s not even the best singer in the final.

I'm amazed as well! And from what I've read on this thread she's not the best talent in the final and some of you don't even think she deserved her place in the finals.

I'm very amazed at the Finnish papers in general nowadays. All of a sudden they're reporting daily about Kim Kardashian. Like, who is she? On what merits should she be covered on the news papers?? And Peter Andre and Jordan as well. (Not that the news papers I'm referring to are the classiest, but they've really gone way too far even for them!)

I'm amazed as well! And from what I've read on this thread she's not the best talent in the final and some of you don't even think she deserved her place in the finals.

I'm very amazed at the Finnish papers in general nowadays. All of a sudden they're reporting daily about Kim Kardashian. Like, who is she? On what merits should she be covered on the news papers?? And Peter Andre and Jordan as well. (Not that the news papers I'm referring to are the classiest, but they've really gone way too far even for them!)

It sounds like your "news papers" are about as good as ours! I`ve given up reading them now, but the TV news is just as bad, if it`s not Susan Boyle or Peter and Jordan it`s our MPs on the fiddle! :smile2:

It sounds like your "news papers" are about as good as ours! I`ve given up reading them now, but the TV news is just as bad, if it`s not Susan Boyle or Peter and Jordan it`s our MPs on the fiddle! :smile2:

What, even the TV news?? Oh my word! Hopefully not on BBC though? :D

Me too - I wish they would just shut up about her. She's not THAT good (decent, but not brilliant!) and she's actualy the least talented of the singing finalists by a very long shot. It'll be an absolute travesty if she wins it. :smile2:

Am I the only person who thinks that Holly didn't deserve to get through to the final? Yes she's a cute little kid, bless her but I think her performance tonight proved she is not cut out for this competition. I mean, come on, had that been Susan Boyle, 2 Grand or Julian Smith would we give them the sympathy vote? I think not. Personally, I think she only got through because people felt sorry for her - which is not what the show is about.

Edited by rach.at.the.disco

I agree! I think if she fell apart at forgetting the words tonight, she isn't ready for this. I think she's too young and inexperienced to cope, and I don't think her vocal was particularly great either, as I think her voice is uneven and needs to mature and find it's proper range. (I sound like I know what I'm talking about, but it's just what I feel!).

However, I don't think it matters, because I just don't think she's going to win - the competition is too strong.

Am I the only person who thinks that Holly didn't deserve to get through to the final? Yes she's a cute little kid, bless her but I think her performance tonight proved she is not cut out for this competition. I mean, come on, had that been Susan Bolyle, 2 Grand or Julian Smith would we give them the sympathy vote? I think not. Personally, I think she only got through because people felt sorry for her - which is not what the show is about.

I agree. I didn't like her first audition and thought she seemed very spoilt tonight. If that had been Greg Pritchard or the guitar guy they wouldn't have got a second chance. I don't like seeing children cry and did feel sorry for her. But I just feel like there was too much preference for her from the judges. I did like Aiden Davis (I think that's what he's called) so he deserved to get through. Tomorrow night should be interesting. A lot of singers and dancers.

Am I the only person who thinks that Holly didn't deserve to get through to the final? Yes she's a cute little kid, bless her but I think her performance tonight proved she is not cut out for this competition. I mean, come on, had that been Susan Bolyle, 2 Grand or Julian Smith would we give them the sympathy vote? I think not. Personally, I think she only got through because people felt sorry for her - which is not what the show is about.

I agree with you, I think she got the sympathy vote. She isn`t quite ready for the pressure, I think she needs to wait a year or two. :smile2:

I think they should put an age restriction on this show. On monday night, the little girl burst into tears when she didn't get through. And the MD Showgroup, there were a lot of young children in that. I think the pressure is too much for young children, and there should maybe be an age restriction of 14 for example, like on X Factor.

Oh thank goodness there are others who agree with me, I didn't want to sound like a right kid basher (I'm not, honest). I think that compared to the other younger contestants such as Shaheen and Aiden she is talentless but because she cried she got the sympathy vote (I really don't enjoy watching kids cry either). Did she really need another chance to sing again - I think we heard enough of her to judge from that. What would have happened if she failed the second time - would she still have got through? I'm afraid to say she probably would even though she didn't deserve it.

I think it would be a shame to reduce the age when some younger entrants are so good, and are ready and able to handle the pressure. I really like Aiden (dancer) and Shaheen (singer) both young and talented. :smile2:

Am I the only person who thinks that Holly didn't deserve to get through to the final? Yes she's a cute little kid, bless her but I think her performance tonight proved she is not cut out for this competition. I mean, come on, had that been Susan Boyle, 2 Grand or Julian Smith would we give them the sympathy vote? I think not. Personally, I think she only got through because people felt sorry for her - which is not what the show is about.

I completely agree. And if she wants a career in show business she'll have to learn pretty quickly that there are no do-overs in auditions - you get one chance to show what you can do and are judged harshly on it. Tears and begging don't get you through.

Actually, I thought the choices tonight were pretty poor anyway. The dancing laddie definitely deserved to go through, but the only other act that really did it for me was the girlie dance troup (with token boy) who, although nowhere near as good as Flawless or Diverstiy, have, as Blondie said, a different angle and their act is something you would expect to see in Vegas before the big-star magicians come on. THey were good and tight and glamourous.

As for the other acts:

Good Evans - terrible. The boy and mother both have good voices, but the song choice was terrible, the dad is average and the little girls CANNOT SING! They're sole purpose is the cute factor. Rubbish act.

Juggler - it's a shame he didn't get a chance to do his whole act as I was wondering where he would take it. Yes, up till that point, he hadn't done anything really different, but he might have done after that...

Falsetto Opera Guy - Oh my gods he is AWFUL! He massacred that song and deserved to be shot!

The Three Only Gays in the Village - utter tosh, but entertaining tosh.

Guitarist - average player, terrible singer, poor choice of song. He threw it away, really.

So the finalist for tomorrow are:

Susan Boyle - Singer

Diversity - Dance group

Flawless - Dance group

Shaun Smith - Singer

Stavros Flatley - Comedy dance group

Shaheen Jafargholi - Singer

Julian Smith - Saxophonist

2 Grand - Singers

Aidan Davis - Dancer

Hollie Steel - Singer

I'm disappointed by the lack of variety, and if I'm honest, although I love both Diversity, Flawless, and Aidan, my favourites are Stavros Flatley, as they are my idea of a variety act.

Who is your favourite?

I think this years finalists are lacking in originality. I thought X Factor was for singers? Surely the public would prefer to see other talents rather than the usual singers. And the dancers aren't doing it for me either, not after George Sampson last year, a dance act winning two years in a row is just too boring for me. We need more entertainment - something that will make us laugh and smile.

Personally, I would love it if Diversity and Flawless got together for a dance-off and did that as their act - they would win for sure! I agree that this year's line-up lacks variety though - it's all singing and dancing apart fro one musician (even the comedy act is a dance one).

Yeah but the singers and dance acts that have got through, for the most part, deserve to be there out of the semi-finalists. So, I'm not going to complain about the variety.

Kell, I don't think they can do that can they? And I think they've got a better chance on their own, in their own groups. If they got together they would be too many of them, it wouldn't be as good.

Gutted that Greg Pritchard didn't make it, I thought his semi-final performance was stunning - admittedly a couple of low notes weren't perfect but the amazing solo duet at the beginning and the impossibly high last note just made me go, whoa.

On the other hand, little Hollie' Steel's voice can be so amazing, I just hope she can deal with the pressure of the final... poor little thing. I was crying with her when she started sobbing, yesterday's was definitely the most nerve-wracking episode of Talent I've ever seen.

Also sad the little boy who sang from The Jungle Book the night before didn't make it, however (as with Greg above) I cannot believe that we won't see them in a theatre near us before long.

Favourites in the final (one from the winners of each semi) are Susan Boyle (awe-inspiring singer), Flawless (very neat, polished, good blend of skill and enjoability), Stavros Flatley (hilarious), Hollie Steel (so much potential and so much cuteness), and I cannot decide between 2 Grand (awww, also the girl can really sing) and Julian Smith (incredibly powerful playing).

Edited by BookJumper

My favourite is the dancing kid. He's what, 2 years older than Hollie? That child has issues - either she's not emotionally mature enough to be on the show or she's very, very highly strung. She looks completely lost up there. I'm not sure what would have been more traumatizing for her, not giving her the second chance, or putting her through to mess up tonight (a question which Piers was asked in B'sGMoreTalent and directly didn't answer.)

The little dancing kid should win, I think he's brilliant. I was also gutted that Greg didn't make it - his performance was a bit dodgy tonight but we all know from his audition that he HAS the talent, he should have been given the opportunity to give it a shot in the final.