Lost Mojo Support Group

Guest ii

I feel as if i want to read at the moment but i just can't get into anything. I spent 20mins today at the liabary just looking for an audio book just to try and keep me motivated, but nothing appealed to me. I know i want to read the books on my TBR list, but i just cannot stick to reading more than a chapter! It's driving me mad.

I'm thinking maybe if i forget my TBR list for now and read an old fav. Something light anf fun like a Roald Dahl book!?

I feel as if i want to read at the moment but i just can't get into anything..........

I'm thinking maybe if i forget my TBR list for now and read an old fav. Something light anf fun like a Roald Dahl book!?

That sounds like a good idea, definately worth a try. :motz: recently when my mojo deserted me I went back to a favourite author and it did the trick. :D Hope your mojo`s back soon. :friends0:

*hands over cookies to all who've lost their mojo* Old favs can indeed do the trick... or if you tend to always read the same kind of book, maybe something radically different? It might startle your mojo awake.

I haven't read much lately either, but that's my fault really: I haven't been making time for it. :friends0:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lost: 1 reading mojo :blush:

Last seen: finishing the excellent The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stig Larsson

If found, please return to Janet, c/o Book Club forum

Reward: Virtual cookies

~~~

I don't understand what's happened. I got off to a fairly flying start for 2010 but I've given up (maybe temporarily - I might pick it up again one day) on Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene and now I'm struggling with The Children's Book by A S Byatt. I've only read about 70 pages. I just don't seem to be able to find any enthusiasm.

Help me... :console:

(I realise there isn't much anyone can do to help but it's very frustrating).

One thing I have found that has helped my mojo is switching from novels to short stories. I'm reading Rashomon and 17 Other Stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa, and I've noticed that having one short story to read before bed is much easier to keep up with than trying to get through a long story. It's not as daunting to me.

I lost my mojo for a while, and by 'a while', I mean about 4 months. I went ages with just about finishing one book a month, and two of the books I didn't actually finish. (This may partially be due to one of the two books being 253 by Geoff Ryman - possibly the most infuriating book I have ever attempted to read.)

However, I am proud to say that my mojo has returned, and I am currently reading three books. Woo! I think reading more than one book helps because if you get bored of one plot you can just switch to the other book. It helped me, anyway. :-)

I lost my mojo (somehow when I hear this word I always have to think of Austin Powers:tong:) for about the last year.. my dad was very ill with terminal cancer, and worries and being busy completely destroyed my mojo to read even the simplest things. Only picked up reading again after he passed away, and even then after several tries.. what works for me is, not so much trying a new book, but re-reading something I read in the past, but can barely remember. For me, it meant the Dragonriders of Pern series.

But I agree on the short stories, if you can't be bothered to read a book, stories do the trick, and if you don't like the story, it's easy to switch.

Also, try researching books on the internet.. wikipedia, or several book sites, I always browse the site of the online shop I order books at. For some reason that can get me so excited to read again, to see all the great books out there waiting to be read.

If that doesn't help, try switching to a completely different kind of book. Usually does the trick for my mojo. :)

• 4 months later...

I thought that it might be time to revive this thread.

I have had the weirdest year so far with my reading. My mojo has been away on so many trips it stopped being funny months ago!

I have read some stunning books, then for many many weeks I have not been able to read more than a newspaper story without feeling my concentration and interest ebb away. I have felt a reading failure, and felt I had lost the one constant solace in life - a good book. ;)

I have committed myslef to reading 'The Hobbit'. It's a book I have previously read and enjoyed, but long enough ago for me not to remember too much of the detail. I am hoping that this will crack things.

Fellow lost Mojo sufferers ~ :smile2: