Vinyl LP's

Talisman

I have been having a major tidy up at home these past few weeks, and part of this has been going through my old record collection. I grew up listening to jazz and soul, so most of my records fall into this category. Most of this is not what people today would call soul, which is really more dance music, this is the pure, unadulterated stuff, from musicians who can stand up on stage with nothing but their guitar or piano and sing from the heart about love and life.

I have some really great stuff in there and some which is quite obscure. The most obscure is probably an LP from a group called LR Superstars (the LR stands for Little Rock in Arkansas). I have no idea if it is worth anything, but it is quite rare and a fantastic piece of soul. Also an album by a group called Chapter 8, whom Anita Baker used to sing with before she became well known. Anita does not appear on this one, but looking through the list of group members, they have all since gone on to become well known session musicians with others and performed with some of the greats.

The ones I am enjoying listening to the most are the jazz albums - it has been a joy to re-discover many of these. In particular George Benson's Tenderly, Will Downing's A Dream Fulfilled, Dianne Reeves Never Too Far, and some by Lou Rawls, and of course Marvin Gaye.

Do any of you still have any vinyl and do you still listen to them? What is the most obscure vinyl that you own, or the one that might be worth some money ? I have a signed Kool and the Gang LP in my collection that I won in a Radio London phone in, but have no idea if it's worth anything !

Edited by Talisman

My parents were teens in the 1940's and 50's, Talisman, so we grew up with massive amounts of LPs. They were all jazz instrumental (my dad was a musician himself so started his collection young), with a little vocal too thanks to mom. I have a few of theirs, and the rest are with my mom. Some favorites I remember of theirs were Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, Ella Fitzgerald, Ahmad Jamal, Julie London, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, and the list goes on and on.

I have a turntable, but unfortunately right now I don't have anything to hook it up to so I have to satisfy my listenings at my mom's place. I've been told that they sell turntables now complete with USB ports, so I think it would be neat to get something like that so I can burn the LPs to CDs so they last longer.

I don't know if any of ours are worth much money, but I know there are books out there that you can look that up in, so it might be worth while for you to check that out. Good for insurance purposes at least! :welcomebcf:

Hello June

Yes I still have quite a collection of vinyl and I won't be able to part with it. I have a collection of old and rare recordings of Gershwin (some where he actually plays the piano and of him conducting a rehearsal of Porgy and Bess) which I managed to source many, many years ago.

I love some of the musicians you mention, esp. George Benson, Anita Baker and Loo Rolls (as we affectionally called him:D).

Great stuff....

Thanks Heather - will definately have to get one of them. I can't afford to replace all the vinyl with CD and even if I could, a lot of them are not available. It would be great to be able to transfer them to a PC as well to listen to in the background and take to Lundy with me on my laptop !

I don't own a single LP. I have never really been into music and my first album was a CD I bought when I was 7. Since then, I don't really buy music (apart from the odd CD) and prefer to listen to music channels or the radio.

My parents don't have LP's either. In fact I can't remember anyone in my family having one. My gran used to have a record player but I can't remember her using it or anything.

My husband has loads of vinyl LP's, the majority of them are by the band, Bauhaus, he has the LP's on disc but he won't part with his vinyl :welcomebcf:

I still have all the records I bought as I was growing up. I do have a record player, but I haven't listened to any of them in years (but I haven't really listened to any music much lately).

I always preferred vinyl to cassettes, purely because you could go straight to the song you wanted without all the tedious rewinding/forward winding involved in finding the right place in cassettes.

I always preferred vinyl to cassettes, purely because you could go straight to the song you wanted without all the tedious rewinding/forward winding involved in finding the right place in cassettes.

Ditto, but with DVDs and VHS!

Lol Charm, I'm the same. We do have a record player but it is not playing at the correct speed and it sounds terrible.

My most rare LP (or so I've been informed) is Procol Harum Live In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra recorded in 1971. They were the band that sang A Whiter Shade of Pale.

I found what sounds like this wonderful way of transferring both vinyl and cassettes (I have loads of these as well) to computer as MP3 files for a fraction of the cost of a USB turntable and/or tape deck. It comes complete with cables and all the software you need. I have ordered one and will let you know how I get on.

http://www.vinyl-2-pc.co.uk/

We have loads of vinyl LP's and singles unfortunately we don't have a turntable to play the LP's on but we do have a jukebox for the singles, it's awesome and has a brilliant sound :irked:

99% of our vinyl are all 50's and early 60's not sure if any of them are worth much, more sentimental value.

When we moved I gave away most of my LP's, more than 50 of them. Many were very old but I found that they aren't worth much money. There were quite a few that I got from my parents when they passed away. I'm talking of LP's from the 1930's and 1940's. I have a phonograph that is hooked up to my stereo and infrequently play some that I kept. Actually some of the LP's sound very good.

I still have my LPs, but I have no turntable, so I haven't been able to listen to them in years, but I refuse to get rid of them. I listen to them in MP3 format, so at least I don't miss the song. I do miss the popping and cracking.

The oldest album I own in the original format is "The Monkees" first album from 1966. My parents purchased it in 1966. Another old album that I got 2nd hand was Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gada-Da-Vida.

I have quite a few originals from the 60s that I got in the 80s in 2nd hand shops. The rest of my LPs are from the early 80s before CDs became big.

My mum and dad had a whole heap of records but they chucked them out around 10 years ago now. Shame because I've started to collect records, I would've loved to have gone through them. I mainly have Mars Volta and their solo stuff. Theres no better feeling than tracking down an out of print still sealed record!

I still have a handful of vinyl LPs, but I have no turntable these days.

I did own one that could have been worth a fortune - I had a mint condition War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne from 1978, complete with the artbook insert. It was still in its original cellophane wrapper and still had the original price sticker on it. It was pristine. Then I came home one day and found my Dad listening to it. Of course, I screamed and I was so adamant he take it off immediately that he did it quickly and scratched the record. It's pretty much worthless now. :D

I still have it. Or, rather, my Dad has it now. I think he still has a turntable on his stereo, so he possibly still listens to it. I just listen to the version I have on CD nowadays.

The funny thing is how I acquired that LP in the first place. A friend of mine was moving and getting rid of his LPs and said I could help myself to anything I wanted. I saw it and said to him that it could be worth a fortune, but he said I could have it anyway - I don't think he believed me! So, not one to turn down such a fine gift, I took it. :lol:

Edited by Kell

I don't blame you Kell, I would have screamed too if anyone I knew did something like that - although music is for listening to.

My leads arrived yesterday and I have been busy recording various LP's with them - I did 4 yesterday but it is tiring, as I have to find other things to do on the computer while it runs in the background and record each song individually (much easier to edit that way). My back is aching from bending down to keep lifting and replacing the needle - doesn't it give you the needle ! :lol:

Hi guys.

I used to have an amazing collection of vinyl.

I went on a week-long course during the summer of '97 and returned on the Sunday to find that my then-girlfriend had decided to completely and deeply clean everywhere, stacking the records along the patio doors for a few days.

A few long, very hot days.

In the hottest week of the year.

In a south facing room.

*sobs*

Non were salvageable. My CD collection still hasn't matched my vinyl collection. :lol:

I don't blame you Kell, I would have screamed too if anyone I knew did something like that - although music is for listening to.

Yes, but I had it on tape too! Waahhhhhh! :lol:

• 6 years later...

Bumping an old thread. We recently bought a record player as hubby has a few vinyl records. I hadn't listened to records since my childhood, so we have been going to some record stores and getting some bargains. The rare and popular ones are expensive, but some of the more common and not so popular ones are very cheap.

I want to get the CCR collection from Amazon but it's £97. :thud: I also want the Bowie Live at the Beeb (which I have on CD), but that is £60 when it's released later this month. There's something nice about having music on vinyl, and some of the artwork as well is stunning. :boogie: