Why Is The Great Gatsby Great?

Cougar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the book about 20 years ago and don't really remember it very well (unusual for me) but I was quite bored by it and glad to get to the end.

There's actually another thread about it here --> http://bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8602

BAZ LUHRMAN FILM?! Oh em gee. =D Sounds like it would be spectacular!

Yeah there were some great comments in that thread. The book has an actual aura that I think everyone that read it picked up on, but either disliked it or accepted it. I guess to like the book you have to be able to read books that aren't feel-good or happy and still get the message, still enjoy them for the reason they are... maybe. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Great Gatsby and I really enjoyed it. I felt really immersed in a world that may not exist anymore (but I suppose there are still very rich people over indulging, and people who came by their riches in a not totally legal manner!). But I thought it was a great read but yes a bit depressing at the end.

• 1 month later...

The way the novel presents society I found it really brilliant. You can read the novel today and be isntantly transported to a period of American society that is so different from the present day. I think that's where the "greatness" of the book lies.

On the other hand, all of the characters in this book are incredibly flawed. Even Gatsby, with his love for Daisy, feels like a flawed doomed character.However, I couldn't find a single character that I could actually root for. Maybe that's why some people don't find the novel to be so great.

• 3 months later...

Had the misfortune to have to study this for A-level. Didn't like it then and, forty years, still don't. It

completely turned me off all things American for a while (literarily speaking), which took some time to overcome. I just found myself bereft of any empathy with any of the characters.

Exactly. It's a beautiful description of an era that was very different from what came before it and what followed. And I doubt something like the 20's will ever happen again. It was a period of so much opulence and glamour and living large, yet the social rules were breaking down, the Western society was recovering from WWI, there were some very 'modern' problems occurring. The old "golden" life style was disappearing, the safety of previous, well eras, in the lack of better term, and the modern world was happening. Along with the progress came a lot of bad, and no one really knew what to do with it. So they partied. (hey! don't badmouth that, it's a perfectly good escape strategy!)

Sorry, I got slightly carried away there.

I have to agree. The 'roaring twenties' were all about glamour, glitz and spetacular parties. Everyone who is everyone wanted to throw themselves into this lifestyle, but I think what Fitzgerald shows is that although on the surface this lifestyle seemed so carefree and modern, it had a seedy underbelly. Class differences were still rife.

The Great Gatsby is a tragic story, one with a moral undertone (or so I've always believed). It always breaks my heart. It's one of my favourite classics :)

• 1 month later...

Some more details are out about the upcoming movie. Leonardo DiCaprio will be Gatsby, Tobey Maguire will be Nick Carraway and Carey Mulligan will be Daisy. It's going to be filmed in 3D. huh.gif Article and irate comments here.

I don't know what to make of this. It will either be a disaster or brilliant. Hopefully, knowing Baz Luhrmann, it will be the latter.

Like others, I too had to read it for a high school class assignment. Honestly? I felt it was too contrived. It couldn't hold my interest and I could barely read more than a few glimpses here and there so that I could write the assigned essay.

I have never known what the fuss was about.

I disliked every character, their actions, their dialogue.

I didn't even care for how the story went or ended.

• 4 months later...

I just finished this book, and felt like it was a interesting story, and really well written, but it felt empty up until the ending kind of wrapped it all together. Why is this book considered a great American classic? Is it solely because of its interpretation of wealth and glamour?

I think these reasons are to little to give it the credit it receives. Anybody have some insight for me?

Don't get me wrong, all in all, I liked the book.

I thought exactly the same thing until I had to do an essay at uni for it. Doing the research made me realise the amount of detail that had gone into such a short story. There are entire journals just on the use of colour (e.g Gatsby is often associated with gold, Daisy always with white); my tutor told us that in a short story, every word has to really mean something and I think it does in Gatsby!

I still wouldn't put it up there with my favourite books but Fitzgerald definitely deserves the prestige the book has gained in my opinion :)

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I found that The Great Gastby was very well written and fairly engaging.. however, when I finished it I did not feel satisfying. Granted it had a sad ending BUT even when I read tragedies I get a sense that I've learned something or witnessed a new perspective or...something, ANYTHING! Yet with this novel I felt nothing... perhaps that was the intention? In which case, congrats Mr. Fitzgerald! Overall, I cannot see why this is deemed a classic other than the detailed descriptions of the 1920s in America. Perhaps that is because there are no other decent novels that take place in this era? Please correct me if I am wrong!

I thought exactly the same thing until I had to do an essay at uni for it. Doing the research made me realise the amount of detail that had gone into such a short story. There are entire journals just on the use of colour (e.g Gatsby is often associated with gold, Daisy always with white); my tutor told us that in a short story, every word has to really mean something and I think it does in Gatsby!

I still wouldn't put it up there with my favourite books but Fitzgerald definitely deserves the prestige the book has gained in my opinion :smile:

That's fair, I suppose I haven't given myself a chance to research and that I could have easily overlooked something (especially since I've only read the novel one time). I'll have to look into it more... just difficult to do so when I have no motivation from the story itself. Haha

Revisiting this thread has made me want to reread the book! As I said earlier, I really enjoyed it, although it is certainly not a comfortable read. I read somewhere that no-one enjoyed writing about failure more than Fitzgerald - and I can see that (not only in Gatsby, but in his other books as well). He pointed out the superficiality of the glamorous world that his characters inhabited.

• 1 month later...

I liked the Redford version too, although I haven't seen it in quite a while. A lot of people seem to dislike it, though. I didn't even know there was another version (Stephens). Must look into that.

^^^Oh, it's brilliant. I mean, I'm biased because I (really really) like Toby Stephens. But I lent my copy to a couple of friends, and both really liked it. Mira Sorvina plays Daisy.

I think a lot of people found Mia Farrow's Daisy annoying in the Robert Redford film. But I always thought that Daisy was supposed to be an annoying character anyway.

Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan seem like excellent choices for Nick and Daisy, in this new version :)

• 2 weeks later...

I loved The Great Gatsby, such a moving story. The part where no one shows up at Gatsby's funeral gets me all the time... It's written in such a way that you end up feeling so enveloped in the tragedy.

Can anyone recommend a good film adaptation? Have any been made that are worth watching?

Edited by Kylie
Added spoiler tags

It's nice to see that this book creates so different reactions. I, for one, loved this. I do. It's so beautiful and, like someone said above (sorry, I don't remember the names yet!) every word matters in this. Everything is thought out and through.

And I think it says a lot about the talent of the author to carry the story, if you can sort of understand the characters even when you don't particularly like them. And that's what happened with Great Gatsby. (Another one is Anna Karenina. Gosh, she was annoying! Yet I "got" her, her reasoning.)

I really need to read this again. Too bad I have far too much books waiting to be read on my shelf as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read this book a couple of times, kinda had to for A-Level English Lit but my god was it worth it. My teacher had told us it was his favourite book of all time and now it is one of mine. I can see why some people couldn't get into it and to be fair it did take me a few chapters.

In answer to the original question, the way Gatsby is described, is somewhat magical. I remember when Nick first sees Gatsby, he's standing in the dark with a kinda mystical feel about him. Also at many of his parties no-one really knows who Gatsby is presents more mystery to Nick and the reader.

Later through the book we are lead to question 'is Gatsby really great?' what makes him great? Then we have to remember that the story is told through the narrative of Nick, therefore we must assume that Nick admires Gatsby which becomes more and more apparent as the story goes on, especially at the very end.

Not sure if that's the type of answer you were looking for but the actual book The Great Gatsby is great, I think, because it is fantastically written and totally encapsulates the time period with all the glitz and glamour as well as the dark undercurrent of the 1920s :)

I'm going to have to give this book another try, I think. I read it when I was in my mid-teens (not for school, just for my own enjoyment), but I didn't like it at all. With so many great reviews and the Baz Luhrmann film coming out, I think I should read it and see if I can appreciate it more now that I'm all growed up. :lol: I still have my original copy so it's not going to cost me anything other than time ...

A trailer for Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby has been released. It looks awesome. :D Here's the trailer on

We saw that very preview last night at the movies. Looks like DiCaprio strikes again. :D

I simply have to read the book now! Before we see the film.