Why Is The Great Gatsby Great?

Cougar

Not sure if that's the type of answer you were looking for but the actual book The Great Gatsby is great, I think, because it is fantastically written and totally encapsulates the time period with all the glitz and glamour as well as the dark undercurrent of the 1920s :)

Nicely put, Hanananah. I read this book for school, and think it's one of the best books set in those times.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Ok, so I've just finished re-reading it. I think I found it easier to read this time around, but the big problem I still have with the book is that I just don't care about any of the characters. Their wealth makes them indolent and selfish, and I couldn't find any empathy with or sympathy for them or their predicaments. Having said all that, I think it could make a great film (or is that just me being biased towards my beloved Baz Luhrmann? ;)). I'm off to see it soon, although I'm not sure about the casting of Tobey Maguire as Carraway, but we'll see.

Edited by chesilbeach

The characters being all essentially flawed I think is the point. I think the spirit and frivolity of the era automatically gives rise to the individualism that we see in The Great Gatsby - the Buchanan's have that sense of lofty self-importance because of their old money and comfortability. The apparent 'safety' of everyone's private sphere is inevitably destined to fall. As we know, even Gatsby is naive in his quest of Daisy and so contained in his own ambitions - all for her - that he fails to recognise any of the bigger picture.

I mean, I wouldn't sit down to tea with any of them that's for sure, but I think I can invest in the characters because of their flaws. I had a morbid curiosity about how each of their worlds were going to come tumbling down around them. The reason I re-read so often, and that it's one of my favourites of all time, are the other things - the poetic, lyrical prose, the heavily layered symbolism and motifs.

That being said, I really enjoyed the film and I hope you do too, Claire. :D

I really enjoyed the book. I've always thought of it as being about the pearls of obsession and becoming what you pursue.

Daisy represents everything Gatsby wants to become, rich, attractive, popular. In his idealised obsession with her he creates a world in which he can become her equal.

As the story unfolds it become more apparent that Daisy is without substance, she is shallow, flakey, easily led and so on. Gatsby by the end is revealed as a deceitful construct; a mirror that reflects the wealth and charm of others. When all is said and done he has become Daisy's equal.

Just my 2p.

• 1 month later...

I think it is great because it captures what life was like in the 20s. That's why I loved it. Fitzgerald himself was a great example of 20s lifestyle and that was shown through most of his works. That's why I really like him as an author. 

It took me awhile to get into Gatsby, but by the end I loved it. I love a good tragedy.