Loser in the kitchen

tanjaha

Didn't confuse me!! :D

I agree in some ways with Bad Food Britain - there isn't a fishmongers within 20 miles of where I live, and I live on the coast for goodness' sake!

On the other hand, fantastic food, produced in an ethical way by people with a passion for it, is more available than it has been for decades - if you want to look for it.

Most of the butchers and grocers I use operate delivery services, some even have websites and online shopping.

It is still an effort. To find good meat I have to really hunt it down, but within 3 miles of my house there are 2 Macdonalds, a KFC, a Domino's pizza place, a Dial-a-pizza and more chippies than you can shake a stick at (not to mention 2 Somerfields, an Iceland, an Asda, an Aldi and 2 Tescos).

It's hard to compete with such convenience!

Sarah, I envy you living on the coast! I grew up in San Diego, and my mom was an avid angler. Dad would go, but not often...

So, I grew up fishing. I don't ever remember my mom going to the grocers and actually buying fish. We'd go out and throw our lines in at the reservoirs, or surf fish or as an occasional treat, we'd go out on one of the "sport fishing" boats.

It was fun, and we filled our freezer at the same time! :D

Maybe you could do that...I don't know if you enjoy fishing or not, but it would definitely be a way to get some ethically acquired fish on your table!

I don't think I could eat a fish I'd caught. Much as I hate to buy fish from a supermarket, I would rather do that than have to kill it myself! All the scaling and gutting... bleurgh! :nono: I can't even bring myself to peel a prawn. My theory is: if it can see me then I don't want to eat it!

I still haven't quite recovered from ordering half a lamb from a farm in Wales and receiving... half a lamb. Not a box full of joints and chops, rather a box looking like an unfinished Damien Hurst installation. :shock:

Somtimes I like to entertain a little dream of escaping to the country and producing my own food. Then I remember my reaction on opening that box and suddenly urban living doesn't seem so bad! :D

It's the chef smiley is that it?

Yep, I have to say.. Maureen, you have me confused! LOL

Oh you guys!! In all the books I read whenever people recieve a box or get locked in a room, they manage to press all the buttons till they find the hidden lock - and you don't even try to click the mouse!! Tsk Tsk :D

OMG, how hideous...how funny!!

IKWYM about having to kill and process...not the most fun part of fishing.

I could NEVER, never, never not EVER deal with dispatching something like a chicken, or anything else warm-blooded.

The markets in Mexico traumatized me good and proper, let me tell you! :shock:

I still haven't quite recovered from ordering half a lamb from a farm in Wales and receiving... half a lamb.

Sarah - I fish, scale gut and clean the fish I catch myself, but I don't think I would enjoy recieving half a lamb! Rather gory!

I could NEVER, never, never not EVER deal with dispatching something like a chicken, or anything else warm-blooded.

We had a farm on my school - they had pigs, sheep, chickens, geese etc. Most of the time, they would be sent off for slaughter, but at Christmas we would have turkeys. The school farmer would wring their necks and I spent many a lunch time helping pluck them!

The year my family got their turkey from there though, I couldn't eat it!

The chickens eggs were beautiful though - and cheap at

OMG!! Why am I laughing at the horror of finding half a lamb intact??? :D

As a child in Hastings, we always used to buy our fish as the boats were landing, so preparing a fish doesn't bother me - but my husband has to leave the room LOL

I couldn't put a crab or lobster into the water though - I draw the line there!

We had a farm on my school - they had pigs, sheep, chickens, geese etc. Most of the time, they would be sent off for slaughter, but at Christmas we would have turkeys. The school farmer would wring their necks and I spent many a lunch time helping pluck them!

Growing up we had no money at all, so my grandad used to keep ducks, rabbits and chickens. Being a bit thick, I never twigged that every time a chicken would go missing (it would run away, or would go back to the farm or one of a million other reasons), we would eat chicken for lunch. It never occurred to me that the missing chicken was sitting on the table surrounded by roasties... :D

I never twigged that every time a chicken would go missing (it would run away, or would go back to the farm or one of a million other reasons), we would eat chicken for lunch. It never occurred to me that the missing chicken was sitting on the table surrounded by roasties... :D

Ah, the innocence! :angel:

• 2 months later...

Kell I found that quite interesting. My wife did not cook at all when we got married some 36 years ago. I taught her basics as I have been cooking since around the age of eleven. She of course surpassed me many years ago although did steal some of my recipes along the way, LOL.........

• 7 months later...

I agree: I think the point made is that we are quite removed from the process of from hoof to plate. Really, it's only a generation or two - it was a fact of life in our grandparent's time.

Two things that stand out in my childhood in this context: one was that I caught a small fish and my grandmother cooked it up for me as a "reward" and I was sickened and stymied. It certainly made sense to her; second; my same grandmother (ruthless!) had my sister and I pluck chickens after she had wrung their necks. Lawdy, we were crying at the table not able to eat the food cooked and my grandparents were simply mystified!