Loser in the kitchen

tanjaha

I've just messed up a tofu experiment last night that even caused the guest stomach problems. Though I am really trying hard.

Cooking basically is chemistry, and I am good at chemistry. Still somehow, the cooking part of my brain has malfunctions.

Any fellow sufferers?

I used to be terrible, but I learned out of sheer necessity - it was that or starve as none of my flatmates could cook & we couldn't afford to live on take-aways - LOL! I love to experiment in the kitchen, but I've never cooked tofu yet - it kind of scares me as it's something I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to use it for!

I started off wityh very simple recipes that only needed a handful of ingredients till I got more confident in the kitchen - I became the queen of soups & pasta dishes! Nowadays I can even do a lovely roast & a smidgeon of oriental cooking too - if you start off small & easy, you can work up to the bigger things when you feel ready. :D

My mum is a chef, so taught me to cook from an early age. It's just as well, since our school cookery classes were a joke (making sausage rolls using jus-roll pastry and sausage meat, making christmas cake using a ready-made cake and ready to roll icing...).

It's a skill which I am increasingly glad to have. Thanks mum :D

My mum makes a mean:

.Roast dinner

. Shepard's Pie

. Lasagna

. Spagetti Bolegnese

My dad makes a mean:

.Pasta Salad

. Potato Salad

. Red Wine Gravy.

My mother always tried to engage me in the kitchen when I was young, but I prefered to be off with my dad in the garage, working at the cars. In the end, I am unable to cook and cannot repair a car. C'est la vie.

But, I received a big praise for my chocolate muffins, so, not everything is lost. As always, it is about the motivation, chocolate is the motivator. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Tanjaha wrote:

But, I received a big praise for my chocolate muffins, so, not everything is lost. As always, it is about the motivation, chocolate is the motivator.

You said it.... Life wouldn't be life without a nice book and a bar of chocolate! LOL

Tanjaha--

Like anything else, cooking is something that takes practice. Don't get too upset over a failed experiment...failing is actually never trying again...as long as you keep trying, you haven't failed! :D

IMO, cooking IS chemistry, but as well as being a science, it's also an art. If this is something you really want to do, then start reading cookery books. I'd highly recommend Alton Brown's "I'm Only Here For The Food". He explains the hows and whys of cooking...as well as giving lots of yummy recipes that aren't hideously difficult to make.

Tofu isn't my favorite ingredient on the planet, but it has its uses. You can substitute very firm tofu for cooked chicken breast meat in quite a few recipes, with only minor alterations.

Happy Cooking!

Tanjaha, Cooking is definitely not gender related.My husband does most of the cooking,but he likes it whereas I have to be in the right mood.

We have different talents,he's good at roasts and stir fries. I do excellent Stews, cassoulets,and love to bake bread and cakes.

But, we've both made some awful mistakes getting there.

My Dad did almost all the cooking in our house when we were kids. When they got married, Mam couldn't even boil an egg & had to be taught how to cook by Dad. Strange, because grom (Mam's Mam) is an excellent cook - LOL!

My Mum did all the cooking until she went back to full time work and the rest of us were given a night to cook each. Although my brother never progressed from making pasta bakes and grilling pre-prepared food, my Mum taught me to make lots of casseroles, pasta dishes, stir-fries and stuff. Consequently, I left home in 2001 and my brother still lives there!

I had a kitchen disaster not that long ago...

My evil twin decided that chicken tikka masala would be a nice change from our ordinary meals. She bought the sauce, the chicken, the yogurt--and made the dish exactly as the recipe on the jar of sauce said.

It was so blazingly, hellfire HOT that none of us could eat it!! My BIL, the undeserving relative who lives with us, shot me a look all but accusing me of attempted assassination, while hubby gamely tried suggesting some sour cream might help. We all ended up dumping our dinner in the garbage.

Cheerios makes a nice dinner for a change, too!

Oh, I love hot food too, but this went beyond hot...this was concrete melting, pig-iron forge hot.

I don't like it when something is so hot you can't taste the flavor b/c your tastebuds are paralyzed. And five minutes after you eat, you feel your stomach roiling like Vesuvius just before it erupted.

I like a nice bite to my spicy food...I want it to slap me in the face and say "notice me!!" then once it's been appreciated, it mellows out... :lol: