I don't normally read this genre but...

lola-rose

:roll: ... I thought I could give it a go. The only problem is I don't know what book, does any one have any recomendationss? I'm a young teen girl so if you can think of some that you think I would be suited to me please let me know. Edited by Nici
Added capitals and grammer

I think the 'His Dark Materials' series by Philip Pullman are a fantastic series of fantasy novels. 'Northern Lights' remains one of my favourite books.

I don't tend to either but here are some I liked:

- Harry Potter (fantasy)

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams (sci-fi, comedy)

- His Dark materials (Northern Lights/The golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) by Phillip Pulman (fantasy)

- Truth or Dare by Celia Rees (horror/mystery)

I read all of those in my early to mid teens

Assuming it is fantasy you want to read, then The Hobbit or Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone would be good starting places - His Dark Materials might be a bit heavy for someone not used to the genre (at least the latter books anyway).

If you are interested in trying some science fiction then The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy would be a good starting point, but if you want something a little more serious War of the Worlds or The Day of the Triffids would be good.

I'd recommend reading something light and undemanding first (maybe Stardust, by Neil Gaiman) and then move on to The Hobbit (but not Lord of the Rings) at a later date. I definitely recommend His Dark Materials and maybe Terry Pratchett's novels. I've only read a couple of the Discworld books so I couldn't recommend which one to try first but I'm sure someone around here could.

There is a novel called 'Stardust' by Neil Gaiman, i thought it was a cool read and nothing too heavy or difficult as can be found in a lot of fantasy work. It's not very long either, so that would be a good one to read.

The Tiffany Aching books might be a better starting place for a teenager wanting to read Terry Pratchett - I'd recommend Wee Free Men!

Followed by A Hat Full of Sky and

The Wintersmith

Have a go at Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician Triology.

There's also Twilight by Stephanie Meyers, Magic Lost, Trouble Found by Lisa Shearin. Check out these writers, Malorie Blackman, Cornelia Funk, Dianna Wynne Jones, Kate Thompson, Mercedes Lackey, Tamara Pierce and Jame Patterson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...