Kelly's Reading '09

lexiepiper

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review, Lexiepiper! :D Really glad you enjoyed it.

There are 2 more novels published. One is a bit similar (EMOTIONAL GEOLOGY) and the other is very, very different (A LIFETIME BURNING.) They both have their admirers!

Thanks Linda, I'll be sure to get ahold of them both :tong:

I've only read Marked, Betrayed and Chosen at the moment, but next time I'm in town - baring in mind I don't know when that will be - I'm sure I'll get my hands on the next instalments.

They are enjoyable, something easy to read because the language is so simple with it being aimed at teens, but it's nothing like Twilight or Sookie. I'd say read the first and if you enjoy it then carry on with the series as all the books are pretty similar :D

72387ce8.jpg

Chosen by P.C. & Kristin Cast

No. of pages: 322

Rating: 4/5

Series: House Of Night (Book 3)

Synopsis: Dark forces are at work at the House of Night and fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird’s adventures at the school take a mysterious turn. Those who appear to be friends are turning out to be enemies. And oddly enough, sworn enemies are also turning into friends. So begins the gripping third installment of this “highly addictive series”, in which Zoey’s mettle will be tested like never before.

Review: Everything that can possibly go wrong does go wrong for Zoey in the third book of the House of Night series. Not knowing where to turn, she finds friends in unexpected places, and trusting them will have severe consequences...

I thought this book definitely had a darker tone than the two before, and has more sexual content too, which makes them more grown up. I enjoyed the story slightly less in this one though, mostly down to the ending, which I felt just didn't fit in with everything that happened up to that point. I also feel that the storylines are starting to get a little repetative, so I hope that changes in the next book.

Glad you enjoyed it Lexie, I liked 'Chosen', I thought there was more going on but the ending did leave a lot of questions, for instance ~

where the heck did Aphrodite and Stevie Rae end up? and will someone else please see what Neferet is up to? (apart from Erik who now knows)

That's why I'm interested in the next one.. because of them questions. If it wasn't for them the repetitiveness would be putting me off continuing through the series.

That's why I'm interested in the next one.. because of them questions. If it wasn't for them the repetitiveness would be putting me off continuing through the series.

Me too Ben, they are really good reads, and I think the characters develop more as they continue, I agree about the repetitiveness (they really don't need to keep telling us the same thing over and over!) but despite that, as I said, they are really good reads, so you can see past it. :)

They are enjoyable, something easy to read because the language is so simple with it being aimed at teens, but it's nothing like Twilight or Sookie. I'd say read the first and if you enjoy it then carry on with the series as all the books are pretty similar :motz:

Thanks Lexie! I may give them a shot :lol: I have decided though that they may be a bit too young 'adult' for Kookie so I expained and she's quite happy to leave them for a while :D ... as long as I get her The Vampire Diarys! .. God she's good :) Well, she did learn from the best :)

:) I agree with Gyre, they're easy to read as is proven by the fact I've read all 5 in the past week (hello mojo, it's nice to see you again! :)) they definitely get better as they go on in the series, but definitely get more adult too, but all in all they're a nice easy read :motz:

2f6ed15e.jpg

Untamed by P.C. & Kristin Cast

No. of pages: 411

Rating: 4.5/5

Series: House Of Night (Book 4)

Synopsis:

Life sucks when your friends are pissed at you. Just ask Zoey Redbird; she's become an expert on suckiness. In one week she has gone from having three boyfriends to having none, and from having a close group of friends who trusted and supported her, to being an outcast. Speaking of friends, the only two Zoey has left are undead and unMarked. And Neferet has declared war on humans, which Zoey knows in her heart is wrong.

But will anyone listen to her? Zoey's adventures at vampyre finishing school take a wild and dangerous turn as loyalties are tested, shocking true intentions come to light, and an ancient evil is awakened.

Review: Things really go downhill for Zoey in this book, when the pressures of becoming a vampyre priestess come to boiling point, and she's left feeling very alone...

This is definitely my favourite so far in the series, there's much more action and drama, and the storyline gets very dark. It was also really nice to see the development of characters that have been more in the background, and get to know them more as they become part of the main group. The ending was really gripping and I can't wait to see what the storyline leads in the next book.

1bc33115.jpg

Light On Snow by Anita Shreve

No. of pages: 272

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: The events of a December afternoon, during which a father and his daughter find an abandoned infant in the snow, will forever alter the 12-year-old girls understanding of the world and the adults who inhabit it: a father who has taken great pains to remove himself from society in order to put an unthinkable tragedy behind him; a young woman who must live with the consequences of the terrible choices she has made; and a detective whose cleverness is exceeded only by his sense of justice. Written from the point of view of 30-year-old Nicky as she recalls the vivid images of that fateful December, her tale is one of love and courage, of tragedy and redemption, and of the ways in which the human heart always seeks to heal itself.

Review: When 12 year old Nicky and her her father find an abandoned newborn baby in the snowy forest one night while they're out walking, they don't realise it's the start of a life changing event...

I read this book about 3 years ago, and for some reason I didn't really think much of it. So when I decided to re-read it, it was pretty much just to confirm that it's not something I wanted to keep. But I was surprised to find I enjoyed it much more this time, and I read it in only two sittings. It's a sad story, full of longing and regrets, but I think the characters start to come to terms with their own stories near the end, and that was nice to see, although I would like to have seen just a little bit more of the story wrapped up.

3a33579d.jpg

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

No. of pages: 288

Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation.

Review: When Clay comes home to a package in front of his door, he doesn't realise that it'll change his life forever. The package holds seven cassette tapes recorded by a girl who committed suicide 2 weeks earlier. On the tapes are thirteen reasons why she did it, and Clay is one of those reasons. Over the course of one night, Clay gets to know Hannah through the tapes, and finds out what drove her to suicide...

Although a little bit heartbreaking, this is a great book, and a really easy read. It has an interesting set out and I thought it suited the story and made the story flow really well. I liked the message that this book sends out too, about considering how your actions affect others, something pretty obvious, yet this story shows how thirteen smaller random things, all gather in driving Hannah to suicide. This quote from the book sums it up perfectly ~ "You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything."

If you're a fan of young adult books, then this is a great one to read, and whilst it's obviously not the most cheerful read, it's a good one, and I'd certainly recommend it.