Kelly's Reading '09

lexiepiper

I never realised that Dexter was a book series before. I wanted to watch the TV programme when it was on but kepy missing it. I might give the books a go first. Your review is good, looking forward to the twist at the end now :D

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how I've never heard anyone else praising Erica Spindler before, if my memory serves me right. I might just look into her books sometime! Thanks for the review lexiepiper :D

Copycat by Erica Spindler is brilliant! I`ve yet to read any of her other books so I can`t compare, but I look forward to reading more of her work in the future. :D

I've just finished Cause For Alarm by Erica Spindler Pipread and I thought it was fantastic! I really think you'd like it. It's a bit Deaver like with more depth to the characters. :D

So glad you enjoyed Dexter Lexie! :D Please do carry on, I believe the next ones are nothing like the series. :)

I've just finished Cause For Alarm by Erica Spindler Pipread and I thought it was fantastic! I really think you'd like it. It's a bit Deaver like with more depth to the characters. :lol:

So glad you enjoyed Dexter Lexie! :D Please do carry on, I believe the next ones are nothing like the series. :D

I don't believe, I know this! So carry on with Dexter, Lexie :D

Thanks for the tip pipread! I was in a bookshop today but was disappointed not to find any Spindler novels there :) Same goes for the local library. I may have to order some of her books online.

5195FjfOP3L.jpg

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

No. of pages: 296

Rating: 5/5

Series: Dexter (Book 2)

Synopsis: Miami's best-dressed serial killer is back and on the prowl, at least he would be if he could shake off his permanent shadow. Ever since their paths first crossed, Sergeant Doakes hasn't let Dexter Morgan out of his sight. Dexter may well be the Miami PD's blood-spatter analyst, but Sgt. Doakes has a pretty good idea of how Dex likes to spend his free time and he's determined to catch him in the act. Dex hasn't killed in months and is getting twitchy. To throw Doakes off his scent, he's spending more time with Rita, his girlfriend. But no matter how many cosy nights they spend in front of the TV, Doakes is still watching. Then a body turns up, horribly mutilated and barely alive. To trap the torturer, Doakes and Dexter will have to work together, if they can trust each other. It's a devil's pact and one of them will have to be the bait...

Review: Dexter's back, but this time he's under constant surveillance from Sgt. Doakes, who is sure he's up to something. So Dexter turns to a 'normal' life, spending more time with girlfriend Rita and her two children. But when another serial killer moves to town and Rita starts thinking things are more serious between them, Dexter starts to feel incredibly suffocated...

I really enjoyed this one, especially as I didn't know any of the storyline from the TV show. I really like Dexter, and I find it weird that I can really like a serial killer, but he's so nice for a bad guy and you can't help finding him kind of cute, and pretty funny at times too. The storyline regarding the new killer was really good too, and pretty brutal when it came to the victims, which even I found slightly shocking and I've read lots of thrillers in the past. This is definitely my favourite so far and I can't wait to read the other two in the series!

1890012.jpg

Shocking Pink by Erica Spindler

No. of pages: 498

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: They were only watching.

The mysterious lovers the three girls spied on were engaged in a deadly sexual game no one else was supposed to know about. Especially not Andie and her friends, whose curiosity had deepened into a dangerous obsession...

Now, fifteen years later, someone is watching Andie. Someone who won't let her forget the unsolved murder of "Mrs. X" or the disappearance of "Mr. X." Suddenly Andie doesn't know who her friends are . . . because loyalty can be murder.

Andie. Julie. Raven. Three very different women bound by more than friendship.

Review: When 15 year olds Andie, Julie and Raven see a couple having disturbingly kinky sex in an empty house, they decide to watch to see what happens with the couple they dubb 'Mr & Mrs X'. But when 'Mrs X' is found dead, the girls are frightened, but when 'Mr X' isn't found, they move on with their lives. Until 15 years later, when 'Mr X' reappears, sending them scary messages to let them know he's back in town.

This is one of Erica's earlier books and is more 'Mills & Boon' than her current books, and I found it to be quite a different read to the others I've read by her. I did enjoy it, but found all the kinky sex a bit too much, and I didn't think there was enough of the thrilling story that I'm used to from this author. I would definitely recommend her later books, such as See Jane Die and Copycat.

They are all great pipread, but if you enjoyed copycat, which is one of my favourites by her, then you'd like See Jane Die, which is my other favourite one by her

Thanks for the tip Lexie, I`ll definately be reading this in the near future. ;)

I've just finished Cause For Alarm by Erica Spindler Pipread and I thought it was fantastic! I really think you'd like it. It's a bit Deaver like with more depth to the characters.

Thanks Charm, I`ll definately be looking out for it. :006: and you must read Copycat, it`s brilliant!

Thanks for the tip pipread! I was in a bookshop today but was disappointed not to find any Spindler novels there :friends0: Same goes for the local library. I may have to order some of her books online.

Hope you manage to get hold of her books Frankie, they`re much too good for you to miss out on. :006:

n134678ffhj.jpg

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

No. of pages: 192

Synopsis: Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, and gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly 20 years ago.

Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying of ALS - or motor neurone disease - Morrie visited Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. This is a chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.

Review: When Mitch Albom sees his old professor being interviewed on TV because he's dying, Mitch quickly gets in touch before it's too late. What starts out as a nostalgic visit, turns into a weekly Tuesday visit, where Morrie dispenses his advice and knowledge to Mitch.

I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but I've come away feeling quite touched by what was obviously a strong relationship between Morrie and Mitch. Morrie seemed like such a lovely old guy and even though he was in so much pain and his body was wasting away, he tried to keep a positive attitude about love, life and everything in between. Even though this is a book about something sad, you can't help but come away with something positive from it, but I'll admit, I did get teary eyed at the end. It was a great read, and I'd definitely recommend it!

Yay! Glad you liked it.

The bit I love is

tiny snippet from a game where a crowd are chanting 'We're number 1! We're number 1' and Morrie stands up and shouts over them all, 'Whats wrong with being number 2?'

• 2 weeks later...

51cT0KYHbmL.jpg

Dexter In The Dark by Jeff Lindsay

No. of pages: 376

Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis: When two bodies are found burnt, molested and headless - seemingly sacrificed to an ancient god - and Dex is brought in as forensic analyst to help investigate, he realises he could be dealing with someone a whole lot more sinister than he is. Soon it seems the dark passenger in Dexter's head has gone into hiding. And when something creeps out your friendly neighbourhood serial killer, you know it's serious...

As Halpern and Dexter are stalked by death, it looks like it's getting personal - especially as Dex now has a family to protect. Dex must cope with a certain mutilated sergeant from his past, and more importantly... stay alive...

Review: Dexter's 'Dark Passenger' has suddenly disappeared...or has it been scared off? As Dexter tries to find out what's going on, someone has their eye on him. And they intend to let him know exactly what they have planned for him...

I loved the newly explored relationships with Astor and Cody, and really enjoyed them in this book, definitely can't wait to see where that storyline is going in the future. It felt kind of weird without the Dark Passenger around though, Dexter actually feeling human emotions just doesn't seem right, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as Dearly Devoted Dexter. I thought the 'bad guy' aspect of the story was really interesting, certainly something I'd never have imagined, and I have a feeling that we'll be seeing him again in the future! Can't wait to read Dexter By Design and see what happens next and how Dexter is settling into his new life.

51cou7oUo6L.jpg

Lose The Diet: Transform Your Body By Connecting With Your Soul by Kathy Balland

No. of pages: 228

Synopsis: Are you tired of yo-yo dieting? You have the power to look and feel great without dieting. With this book, your weight and your life can bring you peace of mind. You ll find answers that will end your need for dieting and uncomfortable food deprivation that ultimately leads to weight gain. Instead, you'll find the good health and happiness that you deserve. Lose the Diet is your complete, easy-to-use guide for reconnecting with yourself and discovering the power to achieve and maintain a healthy weight without diets. Drop the diets and the weight in a healthy and natural way. Find out why deprivation doesn t work. Learn about the mind-body-soul connections effect on weight. Discover that happiness leads to a healthy weight rather than the other way around.

Review: A guide for reconnecting with yourself as a way to lose weight. Each chapter covers a different aspect in achieving this such as meditation, fitness and relationships with other people, especially focusing on the fact many people have lost the connection with the world, other people and even themselves, causing them to eat unhealthy food out of unhappiness and boredom.

As a yo-yo dieter for many years, I hoped this book would be full of different information on the battle of weight loss and I wasn't disappointed. This book is a positive experience from page 1, focusing on what you can change in your life and help to achieve those changes rather than focusing on any failures you may experience along the way. I love the tips and techniques that are scatted throughout, and will definitely be referring back to them as my weight loss attempts continue. I've learned a lot, especially about the power of positive thinking and focusing on your goals, using meditation and visualisation to get you there. As an emotional eater, I really think this is the perfect book to help you overcome the hurdles that make you eat out of sadness or loneliness, and eat only out of hunger therefore controlling your weight. I think this book has a unique approach, focusing on healing yourself to help you lose weight, rather than starving yourself or joining some fad diet.