Kelly's Reading '09

lexiepiper

ea724890.jpg

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

No. of pages: 312

Rating: 1.5/5

Synopsis: As a young woman, Roseanne McNulty was one of the most beautiful and beguiling girls in County Sligo, Ireland. Now, as her hundredth year draws near, she is a patient at Roscommon Regional Mental Hospital, and she decides to record the events of her life.

As Roseanne revisits her past, hiding the manuscript beneath the floorboards in her bedroom, she learns that Roscommon Hospital will be closed in a few months and that her caregiver, Dr. Grene, has been asked to evaluate the patients and decide if they can return to society. Roseanne is of particular interest to Dr. Grene, and as he researches her case he discovers a document written by a local priest that tells a very different story of Roseanne’s life than what she recalls. As doctor and patient attempt to understand each other, they begin to uncover long-buried secrets about themselves.

Review: When the psychiatric hospital where Dr Grene works and Roseanne is a patient is due to be torn down, Dr Grene must assess all of the patients to see if they can be relocated back to the outside world. He becomes particularly fascinated with Roseanne and her story, and goes out of his way to find out why she was admitted to the hospital, but his actions bring to light unexpected secrets and revelations...

This book was such a disappointment. Before starting it, I read over the back cover again, to refresh my memory with what the story was about, and guessed what the big plot reveal would be before I had even started, and the sad thing is, I was correct! The story is so slow going, I thought after an incredibly slow start it would pick up, but the story plods along all throughout the book, flicking between Roseanne and Dr Grene. Another thing that annoyed me was that Roseanne was telling the story of her life, and Dr Grene was finding things out that were completely different, and you never find out which of the two is correct. Overall, I thought it had loads of potential, but it was too slow and too obvious, and was a complete let down.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d300af4e.jpg

The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

No. of pages: 305

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: Lou Suffern is practised in the art of concealment. He is, also, always overstretched, trying to do too many things at once. His overburdened schedule gives him few moments of peace, even in his sleep. And when he spends time at home with his wife and family, he is always distracted, and, mentally, somewhere else. On a cold winter morning, Lou is on his way to work when he encounters Gabe, a homeless street dweller, sitting outside an office building. Lou is intrigued by him, and contrives to get him a job in the post room. But this act of charity rebounds on him, and Gabe’s presence begins to grate on Lou - particularly when he discovers that the latter seems capable of being in two places at the same time. Christmas is drawing near, and before the season is over, Lou’s life will be irrevocably change by the casual act of kindness he has performed.

Review: Lou Suffern is a very busy business man, so busy in fact he's completely lost touch with his family, even his wife and children. On the way to work one morning, Lou meets Gabe, the homeless man that lives outside his work building. Gabe tries to helps Lou wake up and realise what he's missing, but Lou doesn't like what he's seeing...

I really enjoyed this, and thought it was a lovely book to read over Christmas. I particularly enjoyed the way in which the characters evolved and how it would completely change the family dynamic each time. I liked the moral message incorporated into the story to spend your time wisely as you can never get it back or change what you've done in the past. Would recommend to fans of Ahern's or chick-lit books, it's something to enjoy, but will also make you think too.

Have you read The Book Of Tomorrow, her latest? I think you would enjoy it, I read it recently and thought it was good, still not as good as P.S I Love you or Where Rainbows End, but still an enjoyable read :friends0:

I haven't yet, but I've read both P.S. I Love You and Where Rainbows End, and have If You Could See Me Now on my TBR pile, so I'll no doubt get it at some point. I don't think anything could top P.S. I Love You though to be fair, it'll always be her best book imo :D

I haven't yet, but I've read both P.S. I Love You and Where Rainbows End, and have If You Could See Me Now on my TBR pile, so I'll no doubt get it at some point. I don't think anything could top P.S. I Love You though to be fair, it'll always be her best book imo :D

Oh I totally agree, P.S. I Love you has been her best imo too, closely followed by Where Rainbow's End. I did start If You Could See Me Now and tbh I just couldn't get into it,:friends0: although my friend said it turned around and ended up being good, I hope you have better luck :D I have A Place Called Here on my shelf so I hope it's one of her better ones too!

I managed to read 127 books this year, which is the most I've ever read in one year, so I'm really pleased! I've also found some fantastic new authors and books I'd never have thought of reading before, so I must thank you all for that :D

My favourite books this year have been ~

Kelley Armstrong - Women Of The Otherworld series

Charlaine Harris - Both Sookie Stackhouse series & Harper Connelly series were fantastic

Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

Jodi Picoult - Second Glance

Robin McKinley - Beauty

And the worst were ~

Berlie Doherty - Dear Nobody

Christopher Ransom - The Birthing House

Tove Jansson - A Winter Book