Kelly's Reading '09

lexiepiper

Look, Kelly. Now I have to go and buy Stop Me and Dear Fatty as well! :lol:

Actually, Stop Me sounds like it's right up my street. Great reviews as ever, mate.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41E9SYC2KPL.jpg

The Hound Of The Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

No. of pages: 148

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: The Hound of the Baskervilles is the classic detective chiller. It features the world's greatest detective, Sherlock Holmes, in his most challenging case. The Baskerville family is haunted by a phantom beast "with blazing eyes and dripping jaws" which roams the mist-enshrouded moors around the isolated Baskerville Hall on Dartmoor. Now the hound seems to be stalking young Sir Henry, the new master of the Baskerville estate. Is this devilish spectre the manifestation of the family curse? Or is Sir Henry the victim of a vile and scheming murderer? Only Sherlock Holmes can solve this devilish affair.

Review: When Sir Charles Baskerville is found dead under suspicious circumstances, his close friend goes to Sherlock Holmes for help to solve the mystery of the hound that curses the Baskerville family...

When this book was chosen for a book circle, I was dreading having to read it. I've never managed to complete a 'classic' book before because for some reason I just cannot get my head around the old language. But I was pleasantly surprised, not only that I managed to read it pretty easily, but that I really enjoyed it too! I've always loved a good mystery and this one was well written, although parts of the ending were fairly guessable. The characters had very strong personalities, and although many weren't that likeable, I thought Watson was a great character and he fast became my favourite. I will definitely be looking into other Sherlock Holmes books in the future!

Edited by lexiepiper

41yDXfRrTDL.jpg

For One More Day by Mitch Albom

No. of pages: 197

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: Charley Benetto is a broken man, his life destroyed by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits rock bottom after discovering he won't be invited to his only daughter's wedding. And he decides to take his own life. Charley takes a midnight ride to his small hometown: his final journey. But as he staggers into his old house, he makes an astonishing discovery. His mother - who died eight years earlier - is there, and welcomes Charley home as if nothing had ever happened. What follows is the one seemingly ordinary day so many of us yearn for: a chance to make good with a lost parent, to explain the family serets and to seek forgiveness.

Review: When Charley Benetto finds out his daughter got married without inviting him, he decides his life is just not worth living anymore. With no wife, a daughter that doesn't want to know him and a life dependent on alcohol, Charley drives back to his childhood home to kill himself. But his mother who died 8 years previously is there, and what follows is a day Charley will never forget.

This book is very like Albom's two previous books, basically it's about death and redemption, but like the other two, it's very easy and enjoyable to read. It makes you think about things you'd go back and change if you had the chance to do it, and the things you'd say to people you've lost in your life. His books always leave me with something, and I think about them for days after I've finished reading them. I definitely would recommend reading one of his books, they're kind of touching and well worth the read.

Hmmm...I keep meaning to pick some of this guys stuff up - something about some dudes in heaven or where-have-you? Something else about a shovel and a bag of Jelly Tots? Oooh, I get so confused sometimes...:)

6472543.jpg

Dexter By Design by Jeff Lindsay

No. of pages: 290

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: Dexter Morgan is back. After his surprisingly glorious honeymoon in Paris, life is almost normal for Dexter Morgan. Married life seems to agree with him: he's devoted to his bride, his stomach is full, and his homicidal hobbies seem nicely under control. But old habits die hard - and Dexter's work as a blood spatter analyst never fails to offer new temptations that appeal to his offbeat sense of justice...and his Dark Passenger still waits to hunt with him in the moonlight. Luckily for Dex, there's someone out there with particularly twisted tastes. Dexter may have never been a big fan of art - but the discovery of a corpse (artfully displayed as a sunbather relaxing on a beach chair) naturally piques his curiosity. Miami's finest soon realize they've got a terrifying new serial killer on the loose. And Dexter, of course, is back in business.

Review: Dexter is back to his old self at long last, and just in time for Miami's new crazed serial killer. This one is a fan of artfully displayed bodies, who takes a liking to Dexter, which doesn't bode well for his newly formed family...

I really enjoyed this one, and think it's become my favourite in the series. I loved the new 'family man' Dexter, and enjoyed the involvement of Rita, Cody and Astor in the storyline. I think Cody and Astor are really funny, and they always make me laugh with their witty little retorts to Dexter. The ending was hilarious, although I already knew the plot point from the TV show, the way it was written was great, and I can't wait for the next book to see where it will take Dexter next!

Edited by lexiepiper

I've got the first of these, Darkly Dreaming Dexter to read in the next week or so, so I'm really looking forward to getting on it, Kelly.

Should be good. :lol:

51nVjgIUDDL.jpg

Marked by P.C. & Kristin Cast

No. of pages: 348

Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis: When sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird gets Marked as a fledgling vampire she must join the House of Night school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change. But Zoe is no ordinary fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the Goddess Nyx and discovers her amazing new power to conjure the elements: earth, air, fire, water and spirit. When Zoey discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look within herself to embrace her destiny - with a little help from her new vampire friends.

Review: When 16 year old Zoey Redbird is marked to be a vampyre, people she has known her whole life are suddenly afraid of her. So when she leaves to go to the House Of Night, the vampyre finishing school, she's happy to leave her old life behind. But as she realises she has powers that are very strong in the vampire world, she knows it's not going to be an easy journey...

I really enjoyed this book, however, I'm surprised it's marketed for teenagers, yet has a warning on the back saying that it's not for younger readers, as some the content is definitely aimed towards an older teen I'd say, rather than someone of 13 or 14. There's definitely a teenage aspect about it though, but I did think the sex scene near the beginning was a bit out of place and definitely unnecessary for such a book. I really liked the idea of a vampyre school where you learn how to become a vampyre, it was interesting to read about and kept me wanting to read on. The character of Zoey was very easy to like, as were her close friends and they were all very well written. I'm curious to see where the next book will lead so I'll definitely be picking it up very soon.

Decent review Kelly, I was looking forward to seeing what you thought of Marked. Precisely my thoughts really. I thought the sexual references were a bit strong for the market age, but your write about the characters and plot being easy to follow and read on through. Glad you enjoyed it. :lol:

Yes, I've only read the next two Betrayed and Chosen but I enjoyed them as much as Marked maybe even more considering things get a lot more interesting.

I tried to read Marked a few months back and I couldn't finish it. There was something about it that I didn't like, I'm not even sure what it was. :lol:

I was annoyed though because I really wanted to like it. :lol:

I can understand exactly why you wouldn't like it. But can't say exactly why, if you know what I mean. It's one of those books like marmite.

dee2355f.jpg

Star Gazing by Linda Gillard

No. of pages: 261

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: Blind since birth, widowed in her twenties, now lonely in her forties, Marianne Fraser lives in Edinburgh in elegant, angry anonymity with her sister. Marianne's passionate nature finds solace in music, a love she finds she shares with Keir, the man she encounters on her doorstep one winter's night. But can Marianne trust her feelings for this reclusive stranger who wants to take a blind woman to his island home on Skye, to 'show' her the stars?

Review: Marianne has been blind her whole life, so for her 'seeing' involved sound, smell and feel. So when a guy she barely knows asks her to spend a week with him on Skye so he can show her the stars, she doesn't really know what to expect. But Keir manages to show Marianne beauty she never could have imagined.

I adored this book, I thought all of the characters were greatly written and perfectly complimented each other. The descriptions that Keir gave to Marianne were so beautiful and I loved how he described things to her by saying they were like certain pieces of music. I really enjoyed the relationship aspect of the story too, I really felt what the characters were feeling and became completely engrossed in their world. I thought Star Gazing was fantastic, and I cannot wait to read something else by this author!

Edited by lexiepiper

1e8b6322.jpg

Betrayed by P.C. & Kristin Cast

No. of pages: 375

Rating: 4.5/5

Series: House Of Night (Book 2)

Synopsis: Things seem to be going pretty well for Zoey Redbird. She's settled in at the House of Night finishing school and is coming to terms with her incredible new powers. It all seems too good to be true. And guess what? Someone has begun murdering human teenagers, and all evidence points to the vampyres at Zoey's school. Which means her first assignment as the leader of the Dark Daughters is finding out which one of her classmates or - gulp - teachers is a killer. Sigh. And she thought her boyfriends (yes: plural) were going to be her biggest problem this year...

Review: Carrying on where Marked left off, Zoey is struggling with all the new responsibility, and with all the boy trouble she has going on. But then human boys she used to know start dying, and when the vampyres of the House of Night start being blamed, she has to find out what's going on...

I thought this one was more action packed than Marked, with so many different things going on in Zoey's life it keeps you completely engrossed. There are also lots of great characters in Zoey and her friends, and they're fun to read about. Because the books are aimed at young adults, they're really easy to sink into and get lost in, but the 'teen' writing does grate a little bit sometimes, almost as if it's a little too forced. I do love the House of Night world though, I think the premise is really good and they're enjoyable to read. I'm definitely still interested to see where the story will lead to next.

Edited by lexiepiper