• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

No. of pages: 288

Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box

Great review - I added this to my wishlist yesterday but think I might actually shift it over to my shoping cart :lol:

e8a12f59.jpg

The Awakening by L.J. Smith

No. of pages: 199

Rating: 2/5

Series: Vampire Diaries (Book 1)

Synopsis: Elena Gilbert is used to getting what she wants and she wants mysterious new boy, Stefan. But Stefan is hiding a deadly secret - a secret that will change Elena’s life forever...

Review: It took me ages to get into this book, I felt the story at the beginning just seemed to drag and wasn't interesting at all. It did start to pick up around page 100, but was still pretty predictable. The characters aren't particularly endearing, in fact I quite dislike the main character who is just the shallow popular girl at school determined to have the new good looking student. I have the rest of the books, so I will be carrying on with the series, but I seriously hope they get more of a plot.

Edited by lexiepiper

e8a12f59.jpg

The Struggle by L.J. Smith

No. of pages: 187

Rating: 2.5/5

Series: Vampire Diaries (Book 2)

Synopsis: Elena is torn between her boyfriend, Stefan, and his brother, Damon. But these brothers hide dark secrets and a tragic past that threatens them all. Damon wants to lead Elena astray - and he’d rather kill Stefan than let him possess her...

Review: Even though Stefan is now her boyfriend and she loves him, she can't help but feel drawn to his brother Damon, and so start the secrets that tear Elena's world apart...

The story line did pick up a lot more in this book, which made it a lot easier to read, but the characters are still pretty unlikeable. The plot is still really predictable, and I can guess where the next two books are going go, but as I've already bought them I may as well carry on with them. I'd say this series is more suitable for teens too young to read the House Of Night series, which I think is much better if you're looking for a teen vampire series like this one.

I'd say this series is more suitable for teens too young to read the House Of Night series, which I think is much better if you're looking for a teen vampire series like this one.

Great review Lexie as usual! :blush: .. and this is nice to know, Kookie wants this series and at least now my mind is at rest before I buy them, so thanks for this :P

Hey Kelly. How're you doing? There seems to be a plethora of teen-vampire books around at the moment, doesn't there? It would be interesting to track the trends over the last...I dunno...70 years or so of literature.

I personally struggle with the angsty-vampire thing (although I loved Buffy and Angel, so go figure). Saying that, I wonder if it's because I had found something I liked, and every other similar thing paled by comparison?

Who knows? Not me, certainly, and I live with me! :blush:

903448.jpg

The Fury by L.J. Smith

No. of pages: 192

Rating: 3/5

Series: Vampire Diaries (Book 3)

Synopsis: Faced with an ancient evil, Stefan and Damon must stop their feuding and join forces with Elena to confront it. But in so doing, they are unwittingly sealing her fate...

Review: There's something very evil in Fell's Church and it's stronger than anyone imagines, so Elena, Stefan and Damon group together to try and conquer it, only it doesn't go to plan...

I'm so glad to say that these books are definitely getting better as they go on, and although I wouldn't say they're overly great, they are pretty easy to read. There was a lot more happening in this story, which made it a lot more enjoyable to read, but the ending was a big surprise, so I'm interested to see where that goes in the next story.

903448.jpg

The Reunion by L.J. Smith

No. of pages: 216

Rating: 3/5

Series: Vampire Diaries (Book 4)

Synopsis: Elena summons the vampire brothers once more to unite and challenge their fate. Together they will be called to face the most terrifying evil Fell’s Church has ever known.

Review: When something very powerful comes to Fell's Church and starts killing Elena's friends, she must summon back Stefan and Damon to help save Fell's Church once more...

I wasn't sure where this story was going to go after the cliffhanger at the end of The Fury, but it played out quite well and made an interesting story to round up the initial four books of the series (the author is currently releasing three new books for this series after a 17 year break). I liked how the characters developed through the book, starting out as pretty unlikeable, but then growing into characters that were much more realistic. I'm not sure if I'll buy the new books for this series, because although the books got better, as a whole, I can think of much more enjoyable vampire series to read. Overall, I'll give this series a 3/5, a slow start, but definitely getting better as it goes on, I'd say aimed more at young teens around 13 or 14.

So that's 93 books read now, getting close to 100! :( Also, Charm I think these would be good for Kookie, there's no sex or anything like that at all in them :lol: