Andaira's Collection 2009

Andaira

Since before mid-December of 2008, I had not picked up a book in two years (it broke my heart). However, since then, the thirst for reading has returned with a vengeance (as well it should).

Books Read Thus Far

Nights in Rodanthe, by Nicholas Sparks

Rabbit Heart, by Colleen Hitchcock

Dark Lover, by J. R. Ward

Lover Eternal, J. R. Ward

Lover Awakened, J. R. Ward

Lover Revealed, J. R. Ward

Lover Unbound, J. R. Ward

Lover Enshrined, J. R. Ward

The Dark Queen, by Susan Carroll

The Courtesan, by Susan Carroll

The Silver Rose, by Susan Carroll

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova

Halfway to the Grave, by Jeaniene Frost

One Foot in the Grave, by Jeaniene Frost

At Grave's End, by Jeaniene Frost

The Rest Falls Away, by Colleen Gleason

Rises the Night, by Colleen Gleason

The Bleeding Dusk, by Colleen Gleason

When Twilight Burns, by Colleen Gleason

The Princess Bride, by William Goldman

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J. K. Rowling

As Shadows Fade, by Colleen Gleason

Guilty Pleasures, by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Laughing Corpse, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Circus of the Damned, by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Lunatic Cafe, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Edited by Andaira

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you think about The Historian? I've been thinking of reading it but I can't make up my mind ;)

It has its good parts, but all in all it's not one of the best books that I've come across. The plot-line was not bad, and the narrative keeps one interested. But when the author started in on the historical facts (which usually keep me incredibly engrossed), she lost me. I don't believe that everyone can give one details on history and still keep them as involved in the topic as they could, and Elizabeth Kostova (for me, as personal point of view) seems to be one of those. However, it's still a book worth reading and I'm still glad that I got my hands on it.

Wow, you've been certainly productive. :D

Absolutely. I have to make up for those two years of no reading :D

There's a good chance that books will be added, that I'll read books that are not even on this list yet, and that other alterations might be made. But as of now...

TBR

The Madman's Tale, by John Katzenbach

Shadows, by John Saul

The Good Guy, by Dean Koontz

Hater, by David Moody

The Horror in the Museum, by H. P. Lovecraft

The Transition, by H. P. Lovecraft

Whispers, by Dean Koontz

Lover Avenged, by J. R. Ward

A Clash of Kings, by George R. R. Martin

A Storm of Swords, by George R. R. Martin

A Feast for Crows, by George R. R. Martin

An Early Grave, by Jeaniene Frost

Sleep, Pale Sister, by Joanne Harris

A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess

Needful Things, by Stephen King

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Time-Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger

Edited by Andaira

I'd give it a go. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but on the whole I thought it was a good story (if a trifle long).

It has its good parts, but all in all it's not one of the best books that I've come across. The plot-line was not bad, and the narrative keeps one interested. But when the author started in on the historical facts (which usually keep me incredibly engrossed), she lost me. I don't believe that everyone can give one details on history and still keep them as involved in the topic as they could, and Elizabeth Kostova (for me, as personal point of view) seems to be one of those. However, it's still a book worth reading and I'm still glad that I got my hands on it.

Thanks! I'll have to give it a go then :blush:

Thank you I have been enjoying it! :)

And I am in the same predicament that you are--slightly--though for a different reason. My funds need to be given a bit of a break for now (unless I get lucky and get a bookstore gift card *crosses fingers*). Though that doesn't stop me from reading. I'll borrow books from friends, or download books online, or take out from libraries. I'm not at all picky :blush: (but I do prefer to own the books myself).

Well, since I'm reading the third in The Gardella Vampire Chronicles at the moment, I thought I might post a little something on the first two books before I soon enough give my thoughts on the third book after I finish (most likely tomorrow).

The Rest Falls Away, by Colleen Gleason

Synopsis:

Beneath the glitter of dazzling 19th-century London Society lurks a bloodthirsty evil... .

Vampires have always lived among them, quietly attacking unsuspecting debutantes and dandified lords as well as hackney drivers and Bond Street milliners. If not for the vampire slayers of the Gardella family, these immortal creatures would have long taken over the world.

In every generation, a Gardella is called to accept the family legacy, and this time, Victoria Gardella Grantworth is chosen, on the eve of her debut, to carry the stake.

But as she moves between the crush of ballrooms and dangerous, moonlit streets, Victoria's heart is torn between London's most eligible bachelor, the Marquess of Rockley, and her enigmatic ally, Sebastian Vioget.

And when she comes face to face with the most powerful vampire in history, Victoria must ultimately make the choice between duty and love.

Review:

I was a bit hesitant at first to read this book, though I love the entire historical fiction bit (it was my favorite genre until I started reading supernatural books of any sort), especially since I was not sure how the whole Buffy the Vampire Slayer-meets-Jane Austen bit was going to work (as some who've read the work have referenced to these books). However, I was pleasantly surprised. I found that I quite enjoyed the books, and found the characters and storyline far too intriguing to put aside. Victoria is quite too green in this first book to form a true opinion on her character. However, during the end, as events unfold and she finds herself in dire need to make one of the most important decisions that she will ever have to make, her character starts to grow and mature, and going on to the second book to continue finding out what occurs was impossible to resist.

I took a liking to Maximilian Pesaro instantly (not mentioned in the synopsis, but very present throughout the book), and in contrast disliked Sebastian from the beginning. So far he hasn't been able to redeem himself in my eyes, even as I am on the third book, but who knows what might come to pass from here to the end of the series.

Overall, I'd give the book a 9/10 rating

*~*~*~*~*~*

Rises the Night, by Colleen Gleason

Synopsis:

The glorious nineteenth-century city of Rome gives rise to a new threat from the Immortal Undead...

Victoria Gardella has been a vampire slayer for just over a year, balancing her life as a peer of Society with the dangerous role that takes her out on moonlit streets, stake in hand.

As Victoria races across Europe to stop what could be the most deadly army the Gardellas have ever faced, she is accompanied by the unlikely Sebastian Vioget, a man as tempting as he is untrustworthy. But when Victoria discovers that she has been betrayed by one of her most trusted allies, the truth will challenge all her powers as a Venator

Thank you I have been enjoying it! :)

And I am in the same predicament that you are--slightly--though for a different reason. My funds need to be given a bit of a break for now (unless I get lucky and get a bookstore gift card *crosses fingers*). Though that doesn't stop me from reading. I'll borrow books from friends, or download books online, or take out from libraries. I'm not at all picky :blush: (but I do prefer to own the books myself).

I'm the same, I really prefer owning the books. But I also use the library ones too cause I like older looking books, I like the way the books look really read :D

I'm the same, I really prefer owning the books. But I also use the library ones too cause I like older looking books, I like the way the books look really read :D

That's also, in part, why I enjoy taking out books from the library. I adore to see the worn covers and slightly faded pages of some of the books. Also, I'll confess, I like how older books smell :lol:. I don't know what it is, but the scent of ink on paper, or parchment, is wonderful (though it applies to all books if I were to be totally honest).

Wow! Those Colleen Gleason books look fantastic Andaira! I shall definately be adding those to my wishlist! :D

(Oh dear I feel another book buying urge coming on ..... must resist.... :readingtwo:)

Oh they are. They series has been marvelous thus far and I can't wait to read through the end of the third book today and move on to the fourth one.

No no! Give in to the urge for book buying! :(

Latest book just finished being read by me...

The Bleeding Dusk, by Colleen Gleason

Synopsis:

The undead of Rome are racing to unravel an ancient mystery – and only one woman can stop them...

As Rome prepares for its Carnivale, the new leader of the city's vampire hunters – Lady Victoria Gardella Grantworth de Lacy – must prove herself as never before. For, to gain access to the secrets of a legendary alchemist, Rome's vampires have allied themselves with creatures as evil and bloodthirsty as they are.

Reluctantly, Victoria must turn to the enigmatic Sebastian Vioget for help, just as Maximilian Pesaro arrives to assist his fellow slayers – no matter what the sacrifice. Desire puts her at the mercy of Sebastian, while loyalty binds her to Max, but can she trust either man? Especially when a seductive vampire begins luring her into the shadows...

Review:

While I wasn't as keen on this book as I was by the second on in the series, it was still a fantastic addition. I think that what I keep enjoying most is the development of the characters as the story unfolds, and in this case, it was Victoria's that I was most fond of. Thankfully that overbearing quality that she had adopted in Rises the Night seems to have slipped away (if for the moment at least), to give way for some more growth and maturity to the woman that she is becoming under the position and role being played by her in life.

And shockingly enough--for I did not expect it--Sebastian has managed to actually redeem himself after all. I'm still not at all fond of him (or perhaps it's the fact that I do not hold dearly the close relationship that exists between and Victoria, as I find them not at all well matched), but one must give a character a chance now and again.

It was quite enjoyable coming across all the new characters that introduced in this installation, and the fact that the book leaves off at an impasse, however (more so than the other books have) only adds to the desire to continue on with the rest of the series. Now to find out what comes to pass in When Twilight Burns...

I give it a 9/10 rating

There's a good chance that books will be added, that I'll read books that are not even on this list yet, and that other alterations might be made. But as of now...

TBR

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, by J.K. Rowling

New Moon, by Stephenie Meyer

Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer

Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer

Guilty Pleasures, by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Laughing Corpse, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Circus of the Damned, by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Lunatic Cafe, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Bloody Bones, by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Killing Dance, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Burnt Offerings, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Blue Moon, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Obsidian Butterfly, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Narcissus in Chains, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Cerulean Sins, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Incubus Dreams, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Micah, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Danse Macabre, by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Harlequin, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Blood Noir, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Bitten, by Kelley Armstrong

Stolen, by Kelley Armstrong

Dime Store Magic, by Kelley Armstrong

Industrial Magic, by Kelley Armstrong

Haunted, by Kelley Armstrong

Broken, by Kelley Armstrong

No Humans Involved, by Kelley Armstrong

Les Mis

:readingtwo: Yea I remember how you warned me about those by LKH. But I can't start a series and not finish it so I suppose I'll have to sacrifice myself through the last of the books *g*.

And you think so about Jason, eh? Well I guess we'll see. I tend to like the character that's most disliked by every other character :D

After finishing...

When Twilight Burns, by Colleen Gleason

Synopsis:

Vampire hunter Lady Victoria Gardella Grantworth de Lacy "stakes the undead with the best of them"*. After narrowly escaping from Rome, she returns to London, where not even sunrise can stop a vampire's carnage...

Ruining Victoria's homecoming, a vampire stalks the streets of London – during the daylight. Not only is Victoria unable to detect the vampire with her heightened senses, but she's being framed as the prime suspect behind the killings.

Meanwhile, her heart is still divided between the enigmatic Sebastian Vioget and her fellow slayer Max Pesaro. The battle is made even more difficult by the legacy of a vampire's touch – a vampire who left in Victoria's veins boiling blood that forces her to fight evil on two fronts: against the new breed of undead threatening London, and against the darkness within herself.

Review:

On one hand, this may not seem as the best book in the series by far because it's not as 'action-packed' as the other three books currently out are. But, this is a catalyst as far as emotions and character developments go. The relationships between the characters, the way in which the story is heading--and will finally conclude in the fifth book (to be released on March 3rd, 2009)--is starting to be displayed, giving the reader a clear understanding of all aspects in the book(s). I thought the book seemed a tad rushed however--during certain chapters, especially the last ones--but nonetheless Colleen Gleason did a good job of wrapping things up as nicely as possible and preparing us for the final installment.

Overall, this one receives a rating of 8.5/10 by me