Andaira's Collection 2009

Andaira

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which book have you started now? I got your text about the Harry Potter book....so which did you choose?

I'm going to try and start New Moon either today or tomorrow, but I don't make any promises. I think I'm just feeling lazy to start reading any bok at the moment (beyond shocking, I know, lol), but I'm still going to pick up the last Harry Potter series book on Saturday. If anything they'll probably give me a month or so before I have to return it, so I'll have time to read it.

How are you finding New Moon? And did you enjoy the J.R.Ward series? They're on my wishlist. ;)

I haven't started New Moon yet...aside from the first line of the book :D. I'll attempt to today however, or tomorrow, as it's a series that I want to get through.

The J. R. Ward series is fantastic, and I'm so glad that you've placed it on your wish list. From the vamp books that I have read thus far, the Black Dagger Brotherhood remains my favorite and I'd recommend it to anyone. I can't wait for you to get your hands on the books as well :D

The J. R. Ward series is fantastic, and I'm so glad that you've placed it on your wish list. From the vamp books that I have read thus far, the Black Dagger Brotherhood remains my favorite and I'd recommend it to anyone. I can't wait for you to get your hands on the books as well :D

This makes me all excited! :D I'll let you know what I think!

The Princess Bride, by William Goldman

Synopsis:

Originally published in 1972, William Goldman's delightful abridgement of S. Morgenstern's classic tale of true love and epic adventure, The Princess Bride, has reached an enormous audience, thanks greatly to Rob Reiner's wonderful film version featuring Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, and William Goldman's sharp and vivacious screenplay. If you enjoyed the movie, you're certain to treasure the newly published 25th-anniversary edition for many years to come. It's a delightful, romantic, and entertaining read.

Review:

I believe I already mentioned in another thread that I did not believe I'd enjoy this book as much as I did. Honestly, I never do know how much I'm going to enjoy a book that holds the genre of Teen Fiction (or so my bookstore classifies it, at any rate). I'm always wary, because I tend to fear that it's not going to live up to my expectations. But I usually give the book a chance if the synopsis of the book interests me in any way, as this one certainly did. And considering the fact that I'm a huge fan of Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power's swashbuckling and adventure films (Thanks for teaching me an appreciation for those, Dad), how could I turn down a novel that features that exact same thing?

The characters were not the most wonderful I've ever come across. The narrative at times left something to be desired. The plot is not exactly the most original in the world. But who cares? When everything is put together and added in the book as a whole, it works. And it's exactly because nothing is perfect, that it's so great and note-worthy.

Fezzik was irresisitlbe. How can someone not love a giant with inhuman strength and a heart so gentle that he's afraid of critters? Westley shows bravery and boldness, but at the same time he gives away his weaknesses after he's finally broken by Count Rugen. Count Rugen himself is not the indestructible being that heartlessly--or so it seems--cuts down Domingo Montoya before the eyes of Inigo, his son, who later on goes through hell and back just to find the man that killed his father. And Vizzini, who for all the world is a world class villain, teaches us of wit and cleverness. Of course, 'til Westley beats him at his own game. I suppose that humility was not his forte.

Every single character has something to provide to the story, and not one point in it is thrown in just to fill in the gaps.

The reason why I did not give this book a rating of 9, instead of a solid 10, is twofold. It's also a reason of a personal nature. First of all, books that don't have a definite ending, tend to bother me. Yes, I'm the sort of individual that wants to know exactly what happens in the end, what comes to pass, how they live (whether happily ever after or not). Then again, Goldman does a very good thing here. 1)He stresses out the fact that, as he has been saying throughout the book, life has surprises and they may be good or they may be bad, but they show us that life is not fair as a general rule; and 2)He keeps us thinking long and hard on the book and pondering what may have come to pass (Does Fezzik really die? Does Waverly manage to live through that fall in the end? Is Humperdinck truly who sends someone to kidnap Waverly? And who in the world is the evil man that takes her?) Therefore, bravo, Goldman, you have managed to make it absolutely impossible for us to forget The Princess Bride as we would any other book by just tucking it in with the rest of the books in our bookcases after we've finished it. Now we will constantly re-create and continue to live through the story because, well, human nature can't help itself.

And so I face the rest of the reason why this book did not gain a perfect rating from me. It's simple really: the book ended. And I don't mean that it ended in the sense that the story ceased to exist. If a story stays with us in our minds (and hearts, for those of us that are more romantic), then it can not cease its existence. I simply meant that the book, the pages, the writing...it ends. I found that this was the sort of book I could continue to read on and on and I would never get tired of it. Inigo would die, Westley and Buttercup would pass, Fezzik would...well, whatever becomes of him would come to pass, Waverly would grow, and still I would want to keep reading--Waverly's story even, if possible.

Am I glad that I gave the novel a chance? Absolutely. Would I read it again? Definitely. Might I some day read it to my own children and perhaps pass on the tradition that the book teaches us is absolutey priceless? I don't see why not.

It's a tale for all ages, and I do not know how anyone could turn back from a story that has within it every subject which creates a legend irresistible.

Rating:

9/10

Edited by Andaira

Have you read Deathly Hallows yet?

I was just about to post about it :).

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J. K. Rowling

Synopsis:

Don't miss the seventh and final book in J.K. Rowling's bestselling Harry Potter series!

Review:

Click >here< to read.

Rating:

10/10

Edited by Andaira

I agree with Ben; a great review. ;)

Thank you! :)

Ha - good timing eh :blush: Glad you enjoyed it. I read this last year and loved it, and like you I hadn't read 1-5 although I had read 6.

It was difficult not remembering every detail of books 1-6, lol, but I might just read all the books one day for a lil' marathon. Great book #7 was indeed.