Sarah's books 2009

chrysalis_stage

I tend to say a fair few books are emotional atm, they either are or I'm a big softy...

Well, Sarah, join my club 'Soft Sh**es Anonymous'. It seems that every book I'm reading makes me sigh deeply and become all introspective and maudlin. I'm a bundle of fun, fun, fun!

Hi ho.

:D:lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Mac, I must join the club, love the name! :lol:

I'm glad its a mixed sex group too, I hate it when I show emotion and the first thing people say is 'oh is it the time of the month?'... like thats an excuse lol

Looking forward to bed so I can read! :lol::lol:

I'm glad its a mixed sex group too, I hate it when I show emotion and the first thing people say is 'oh is it the time of the month?'... like thats an excuse lol

The thing is, Sarah, I absolutely swear that I get the male equivalent of this time every month - and I've got no excuse for it, dammit! I'm like the biggest jessie on the block! I tell you, I'm up and down like a brides nightie...

My best friend Kirree told me it's something to do with...erm...biorhythms? Or something like that. She tried to get me to chart my emotions over the course of a few months, but I couldn't be ar**d. :lol:

Anyway. The first meeting of 'Soft Sh**es Anonymous' will take place in two weeks time.

:lol:

It IS an excuse. To hit them real hard somewhere where it really really hurts. No one, and I repeat no one, should be able to walk after using that line.

The thing is, Sarah, I absolutely swear that I get the male equivalent of this time every month - and I've got no excuse for it, dammit! I'm like the biggest jessie on the block! I tell you, I'm up and down like a brides nightie...

My best friend Kirree told me it's something to do with...erm...biorhythms? Or something like that. She tried to get me to chart my emotions over the course of a few months, but I couldn't be ar**d. :lol:

Anyway. The first meeting of 'Soft Sh**es Anonymous' will take place in two weeks time.

:lol: Oo biorhythms...hmm, I'll look into it....I don't think I could be ar**d to do that either, I've tried to do something similar before and forgot about it after a day or two.

:D Soft Sh**es Anonymous here we come

It IS an excuse. To hit them real hard somewhere where it really really hurts. No one, and I repeat no one, should be able to walk after using that line.

:D I love it ii, so very true!

Read: Nikolai Gogol - The Diary of a Madman! I loved it :lol: it made me laugh in parts as well as think more about mental illness which I have a high level of interest in.

While reading it, it reminded me of a book I'd seen years ago and meant to buy so I plan on buying it very soon: Sybil: The True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Separate Personalities.

Recieved Michael Marshall Smith - A book of short stories - What you make it (Thanks goes to MAC for introducing me to this author, I hear he is one of his faves, hopefully one of mine eventually)

Just wanted to share what I thought about the cover, I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but it's so cool. A green background with purple and black lettering and boxes. Boxes contain different icons linking in with each story, for example the story of 'The man who drew cats has a square with a little cat cutout and the story of 'Save as' is a F12 keyboard button. Anyhoo loving the design. :lol:

Haruki Murakami - The Elephant vanishes :- I started the first story, I just couldn't resist and loved how it was going, so true to life and made me remember times something similar had happened to me. The story is called: the wind-up bird and tuesdays women.

Looking forward to reading these :)

Books I have coming in the post still:

Robin Hobb - The farseer trilogy

Shardik - by the same author who did watership down....will edit in a bit

Death trilogy - Terry Pratchett

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Recieved Michael Marshall Smith - A book of short stories - What you make it (Thanks goes to MAC for introducing me to this author, I hear he is one of his faves, hopefully one of mine eventually)

If you decide you do like Michael Marshall Smith The Straw Men triloy of books are fab!

At risk of sounding like one of the kids that I'm down with, Sarah, OMG, you are so going to love this book of shorts. It is, like, well chocolate, guy!

And, if you end up loving these shorts, you should have a go at Christopher Fowler. He's also a-maze-ing! Dark, gothic, creepy.

Remember: If you like it, do it. If you don't like it, do it, you might like it! :)

Let me know what you think. I get sooooooo excited when someone else loves the stuff I love!

I used to cry when terminator got melted, am i in now? :)

"You say I'm unemotional, I can be emotional. Jesus, I cried like a baby at the end of Terminator 2, you know, with the metal . . . and the hand . . ." - Tim Bisley.

Back on topic, how is it going with Terry Brooks? I have The Sword of Shannara to read, but I've been put off somewhat by comments that it is a Tolkien clone (they are supposed to get a lot more original after the first book, but I was wondering what you think!).

"You say I'm unemotional, I can be emotional. Jesus, I cried like a baby at the end of Terminator 2, you know, with the metal . . . and the hand . . ." - Tim Bisley.

Haha, see! It's very depressing! :)

Raven....

Well like you I read some reviews mentioning how very similar Shannara books were to Tolkien and when I began reading I did have my comparison head on because of them and thought to myself 'oh we know where he got the idea for that from' but there are different characters and the story takes hold and doesn't let go, I found it very gripping and desperately wanted to know what was going to happen next just like the characters who are also unaware of their journeys end and meaning.

I think if you wanted to be very critical you could write it off as a clone but I love it all the same and have loved every minute of it so far and would highly recommend it.

I actually enjoyed reading the sword of shannara alot more than I did reading the first book of Tolkiens. I have yet to read the other two but I have more of an urge to read the other two of the Shannara trilogy than that of Tolkiens.

Hope this helps, I'm not the best at explaining books but all I would say is I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy it even if you ended up thinking of Tolkien the whole time which I largely doubt you will. Stop reading the reviews and read the book! :)

Recieved H. P. Lovecraft books off Bookjumper and read two stories already - The outsider and The rats in the walls :readingtwo: Love him!

Finished The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks last week and did think the ending dragged, it may just be becauseI was impatient to know the end and to move onto other books, but overall it was great.

Orl Fane's personality did remind me of Golem

Reading Carrie - Stephen King (my first read) and I'm enjoying it so far.:D

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Hi Sarah! Have you dipped into What You Make It yet?

*runs around room flapping his hands in excitement*

:D

Hi Mac, I have indeed, I've read 7ish of them so far: More tomorrow, Everybody goes, Hell hath enlarged herself, A place to stay, Later, The man who drew cats and in the middle of The fracture and loved everyone so far. I heard The man who drew cats story won an award and I'm not surprised. :readingtwo: I took the book with me everywhere for a few days and quite a few people at the pub etc have seen it and are interested so hopefully got some more readers for him ;)

Magic stuff! Do try Christopher Fowler as well, my friend, for I feel that you would greatly appreciate his works.

I'm off to cook dinner now, before I pass out.

:readingtwo:

Magic stuff! Do try Christopher Fowler as well, my friend, for I feel that you would greatly appreciate his works.

I'm off to cook dinner now, before I pass out.

:readingtwo:

Would you recommend any in paticular? I had a look on Amazon and was intrigued by The devil in me the most as well as Rune and Old devil moon....:D

Hi Mac, I have indeed, I've read 7ish of them so far: More tomorrow, Everybody goes, Hell hath enlarged herself, A place to stay, Later, The man who drew cats and in the middle of The fracture and loved everyone so far. I heard The man who drew cats story won an award and I'm not surprised. :readingtwo: I took the book with me everywhere for a few days and quite a few people at the pub etc have seen it and are interested so hopefully got some more readers for him ;)

I am reading this at the moment too :D

I have just finished Diet Hell.

I'm not sure what I think about them ... entertaining certainly... weird definately!! Perhaps some of them are a little too odd for me but a clever writer nonetheless. I love short stories.

I am looking forward to reading a Michael Marshall book though, I have 'The Intruders' waiting patiently in the wings.