Sarah's books 2009

chrysalis_stage

Currently reading :D

Fantasy: Terry brooks - The sword of Shannara

Historical: Boudica - Manda Scott

Classic: Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen * put to one side*

Non-Fiction - A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson * put to one side*

+ Plus Edgar Allan Poe short stories

Edited by chrysalis_stage

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right well I'm loving Brooks Shannara trilogy so far, very gripping but for some reason I was glancing at my bookshelves last night and came across a book my mum bought me in 2004 from the theatre book shop and I had still not read it all the way though for some strange reason.

So I started it last night, thinking I would only read maybe the first chapter and put it down and finish my others first but I was up for hours and couldn't put it down. I have been reading it all today too and been naughty and not done much work....will make up tomorrow.

I have 100 pages left to read, it has a total page count of 271 and it is called:

Beauty - A retelling of the story of Beauty & the Beast - Robin McKinley

[ATTACH]359[/ATTACH]

The back of the book says:

Beauty, believing herself plain and awkward, loves roses. But when her father goes travelling and plucks just one magnificent, crimson rosebud from the garden of a magical castle, a fearsome Beast demands revenge. Either Beauty's father must forfeit his life - or his daughter must promise to live with the Beast for ever.

A captivating retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast from a Newberry Medal-winning author.

Sunday times review: 'Marries realism and fantasy with satisfying imagination, elegance of prose and thoughtful characterisation'

That statement is absolutely true, the prose is very pretty and it is refreshing to see beauty as the youngest and plainest of three daughters who just loves to read who is daughter to a rich ship merchant that looses his fortune and is forced to move from the city to the country. The Beast is a much softer character in this story and I am enjoying it immensely.

I loved the fact Beauty's real name is Honour and the Beast says to her 'I am a beast and a beast has no honour' then repeatedly asks her to be his wife.

I have told Roxi about this book as I know she, like me loves Beauty and the Beast as do many people on this forum, if going by avatars is anything...:):roll:

Anyhoo I'm sure Roxi will write a fantastic review on this book once she has read it.....fingers crossed anyway :D

Off to finish it now! :lol:

I like the sound of this! :)

Oh you should definitely check it out then, I can't see anyone that is a fan of the well known story not liking this unless they are closeminded and only want the original.:D

It has the same idea but more of a true to life scenario but still in a fantasy way...:lol:

Read it! :lol::roll:

I've added it to my wishlist :D. Thanks for posting about it!

No problemo Bookbee, hope you get it soon and enjoy it! :D

Beauty and the Beast has been my favourite Disney film for years, infact it was I who introduced Roxi to it a few months ago, who knew I was creating a moster! :lol: I'm definitely going to have to get this!

I'm glad you plan on getting it, it is a lovely little book :lol:

*shock* :lol: Roxi did not know about Beauty and the Beast until you told her? That is too crazy!

I have the vhs and it is battered and bruised of many many years of watching, I think I need to get the dvd now...:D

Just received Diary of a madman and other stories - Nikolai Gogol - Dover - Thrift - Edition in the post :lol:

I thought I'd share a bit on the stories, incase anyone is interested, info. from the book notes.

It has 3 stories

Diary of a Madman - concerns a frustrated, delusional office worker who becomes convinced that he is the King of Spain. Not suprisingly, he winds up in a lunatic asylum, but his illness and his reactions to his treatment by the authoritives, give Gogol an opportunity for some biting humour and hilarious swipes at the Russian bureaucracy.

Nevski Prospect - the author contrasts a tragic, romantic dreamer with an adventurous vulgarian in an affecting story of disillusionment and destruction.

The Portrait - seems to suggest that evil is ineradicable in this world.

I have told Roxi about this book as I know she, like me loves Beauty and the Beast as do many people on this forum, if going by avatars is anything...:D:lol:

I want to marry Belle. She is the best cartoon lovely ever! My friends and I discuss the pro's and con's of having a relationship with cartoon characters even now, to this day!

There's something about that yellow, off-the-shoulder number she flounces round in...

:lol:

I want to marry Belle. She is the best cartoon lovely ever! My friends and I discuss the pro's and con's of having a relationship with cartoon characters even now, to this day!

There's something about that yellow, off-the-shoulder number she flounces round in...

:D

I so wanted that dress when I was little! A little bit of me still does :lol:

Beauty and the Beast is my favourite Disney film too

The re-telling sounds good, think I shall add it too my wishlist

That would be a great idea Lexie, I have still 1.5 chapters left....been trying to concentrate on work as painful as it is.:D

Hopefully you guys will let me know when you have got your hands on the book and have started or finished reading and I'll be happy to join in. :lol:

Apparently I gotta start reading every thread, because I'm being talked about everywhere. :lol:

Anyhoo I'm sure Roxi will write a fantastic review on this book once she has read it.....fingers crossed anyway :lol:

You're most kind! I'm flattered by your confidence in my abilities! I'm looking forward to reviewing it. Somehow one of my reviews coaxed several people into buying the subject book today.

infact it was I who introduced Roxi to it a few months ago, who knew I was creating a moster!

Indeed, I always liked the story, as it demotes superficiality, and I always liked Belle. But I had indeed not seen it.

*shock* :D Roxi did not know about Beauty and the Beast until you told her? That is too crazy!

I didn't grow up with Disney movies. I always loved the story though.

We should all read it at a similar time and have a book thread so we can chat as we read through :lol:

Indeed!

Apparently I gotta start reading every thread, because I'm being talked about everywhere. :lol:

You're most kind! I'm flattered by your confidence in my abilities! I'm looking forward to reviewing it. Somehow one of my reviews coaxed several people into buying the subject book today.

Indeed, I always liked the story, as it demotes superficiality, and I always liked Belle. But I had indeed not seen it.

I didn't grow up with Disney movies. I always loved the story though.

Indeed!

Just accept you are popular :lol:

I saw the review in which you are talking about and I have too added it to my wishlist :D just not replied to the thread yet.

Well I'm glad you have seen it now and had respect for the story all along.:lol:

:lol: Thats brilliant! I agree, I would love to be Belle and Pocahantas mixed into one. :lol:

I so wanted that dress when I was little! A little bit of me still does

Beauty and the Beast is my favourite Disney film too

The re-telling sounds good, think I shall add it too my wishlist

Glad you plan on reading it! :D

I loved her blue dress too though oh and her pink one.....hmm she did have some pretty great dresses.....and I'm not even a big fan of dresses. :lol:

I still have my barbies and toys of Beauty and the Beast...:D I always wanted Gaston doll though, as annoying as he was, he was quite handsome. I had weedy Eric from The little mermaid instead, I broke his legs off though.

:lol: I had an Ariel Doll (from the Little Mermaid) but I lost her tail so she was just a very red haired Barbie. That was a good one too

I loved the scene where Belle was in the field and all the wind was whipping round her, I used to wish my hair would look that good in the wind!

:lol: I had an Ariel Doll (from the Little Mermaid) but I lost her tail so she was just a very red haired Barbie. That was a good one too

I loved the scene where Belle was in the field and all the wind was whipping round her, I used to wish my hair would look that good in the wind!

:lol: Yeah me too, she had extremely long hair of which I cut when I went through my hairdressers phase :D

Oh yeah that is a gorgeous scene, I love it when she sings....'I want much more than this provincial life! I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell and for once it might be grand to have someone understand. I want so much more than they've got planned'. :lol:

Beauty - A retelling of the story of Beauty & the Beast - Robin McKinley

[ATTACH]359[/ATTACH]

The back of the book says:

Beauty, believing herself plain and awkward, loves roses. But when her father goes travelling and plucks just one magnificent, crimson rosebud from the garden of a magical castle, a fearsome Beast demands revenge. Either Beauty's father must forfeit his life - or his daughter must promise to live with the Beast for ever.

A captivating retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast from a Newberry Medal-winning author.

Oh no! Another book I have to read!

Seriously though, very happy I found this post. Never heard of the book, but I love Beauty and the Beast, so I have to read this!

Oh no! Another book I have to read!

Seriously though, very happy I found this post. Never heard of the book, but I love Beauty and the Beast, so I have to read this!

Glad to be of assistance:mrgreen:, yes, you must read it if your a fan. :D

I finished it last night. Quite an emotional book and the ending was great although I would have liked it to be described more, I felt the ending was slightly rushed and I wasn't completely ready for it to end, but the disney film was the same :lol: but all in all beautiful book!....................(I tend to say a fair few books are emotional atm, they either are or I'm a big softy...:lol:)

I'm currently in the process of rearranging funds to obtain it. :D

:lol: Yay, you won't regret it!