Bee's Books 2009

BookBee8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read The Guardian. I tend to find his books quite 'nice'. I don't think I could ever class them as favourites but I do enjoy them. I liked A Walk To Remember and I've read At First Sight too which was very sad.

I'm really looking forward to A Swift Pure Cry and I've heard so many good things about To Kill A Mockingbird that I can't help but expect a lot from that one too.

Wow, I completely forgot I read A Walk to Remember and how much I hated it! If I remember correctly, I actually threw the book across the room towards the end of the book. Though I can't remember why exactly. I also sold the book so I would no longer have to look at in my library.

Anyway, I have to agree with you about Nicholas Sparks' books. I tend to read them when I want a quick "chick-lit" read.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I completely forgot I read A Walk to Remember and how much I hated it! If I remember correctly, I actually threw the book across the room towards the end of the book. Though I can't remember why exactly. I also sold the book so I would no longer have to look at in my library.

Wow, quite a strong dislike for it then! :lol: I didn't think it was that bad. Have you seen you the film?

I have, it's very similar to the book apart from one slight change at the end, which I personally prefered, I thought it wrapped the story up a little better :lol:

Oh I had'nt realised there was a change at the end of the film,,I am looking forward to seeing this film though,if only to compare it to the book:D

This is one that I keep putting off, I'm not entirely sure why though, it does sound good. I haven't seen the film and doubt I'll watch it until after I've read the book.

:lol:

Oh I always prefer to read the book before i see the film..I've heard the film is good though:D

I've seen the film - a walk to remember, quite sad but a nice film. I didn't know there was a book.

I thought the film was better than the book personally but I'm sure others will think differently!

Oh I always prefer to read the book before i see the film..

Me too! If I read the book after watching the film, then I think the book would be ruined a little.

9. THE BOOK THIEF - MARKUS ZUSAK (19.02.09-06.03.09)

Synopsis from Waterstones - HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH. It's a small story, about: a girl, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES.

From page one, it's clear that The Book Thief is not your ordinary novel. The writing style immediately stands out as it is both unique and poetic. However, unlike many others, despite the original style of writing, I wasn't immediately gripped by the story. The initial appeal for me was based entirely on the way Zusak told the story in a beautiful manner that is unlike anything I've ever read. The pages consist of great metaphors which put a spin on seemingly ordinary words and turned them into something amazing. Throughout the story, the reader is treated to various bold sections which are filled with facts, thoughts, ideas and beliefs that the narrator feels necessary to announce at any given time. For me, these bold bits were a bonus to the novel although they had a distinct ominous feel about them. Their presence in the book confirm how powerful Death is.

The novel ultimately tells the story of Liesel Meminger (the book thief) and her experiences as she grows up on Himmel Street and the characters that fill it. The darkly ironic translation of Himmel is Heaven which is in direct contrast with the horror which exists in the time and setting. In terms of the characters, my personal favourites were Papa and Rosa, Liesel's foster parents. Papa is immediately likeable and as the reader, I felt drawn to him due the support and love that he provides for Liesel. Papa is a key character who plays a huge part in Liesel's journey and love of books. Rosa's character is significantly less forward in her affections but actions often speak louder than words, a term associated easily with Rosa Hubermann, as she acts in a way that reflects her true nature.

As mentioned in the blurb, the novel is one narrated by death. From this fact, even without opening the book, it's obvious that The Book Thief was destined to be a tale riddled with unhappiness. Even when the characters experience a smidgen of hope or happiness, this is tainted. Key plot points are revealed by the narrator earlier on in the novel and this gives the whole book an inevitable feel, like nothing could be done to change the fate of these characters, and I read it with a heavy heart. Knowing the outcomes before they occurred did not subtract from the story though. Other authors may have rushed the writing to reach these conclusions after revealing them but Zusak maintained the same pace throughout. There was no rush to reach the end.

For me, and I stress the me part as I realise I may be in the minority, what initially appealed at the beginning of the novel became a negative to the story. Zusak's way of stringing seemingly random phrases into original metaphors was interesting and captivating for the majority. However, I found that the endless metaphors became slightly tedious towards the end of the novel. For me, it distracted from the telling of the story and became a tad annoying.

Despite my enjoyment of The Book Thief and finding it an ultimately heart breaking but stunning novel, I was glad to finish it. It took me longer than it should have to read it due to Uni commitments and I wasn't as attached to the characters as others probably have been.

I would highly recommened that everyone tries this book as it is fantastically written, based on a relativley simple tale which Zusak managed to spin into a complex story, set in the horror filled world of Germany during the war.

8/10 :smile2:

Edited by BookBee8

Hmmmmmmmm, kinda wish I hadn't read this because it makes me feel even less inclined to pick this back up & try to finish reading it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! (Not your fault, bee, it has just made me realise that perhaps my feelings about this book should be trusted, I haven't enjoyed it thus far & oh, I don't know, is it worth bothering?)

Edited by Ceinwenn

Hm, fair enough I suppose. :smile2:

:tong: What??

Hmmmmmmmm, kinda wish I hadn't read this because it makes me feel even less inclined to pick this back up & try to finish reading it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! (Not your fault, bee, it has just made me realise that perhaps my feelings about this book should be trusted, I haven't enjoyed it thus far & oh, I don't know, is it worth bothering?)

Aww, sorry! No, I would definitely say it's worth reading but I guess it isn't for everyone. But then, no book is!

• 2 weeks later...

10. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE - VIKAS SWARUP (07.03.09-19.03.09)

Former tiffinboy Ram Mohammad Thomas has just got twelve questions correct on a TV quiz-show to win a cool one billion rupees. But he is brutally slung in prison on suspicion of cheating. Because how can a kid from the slums know who Shakespeare was, unless he is pulling a fast one. In the order of the questions on the show, Ram tells us which amazing adventures in his street-kid life gave him the answers. From orphanages to brothels, gangsters to beggar-masters, and into the homes of Bollywood's rich and famous, Ram's story is brimming with the chaotic comedy, heart-stopping tragedy and tear-inducing joyousness of modern India.

Slumdog Millionaire didn't appeal to me for a long time. But after hearing several great reviews and knowing that hype that surrounded both the book and the film, I decided to give it a go. I was torn about the novel up to the very last minute. To make my decision, ironically enough if you've read the book, I flipped a coin. And that was it, Slumdog Millionaire came home with me.

The book is divided into sections, each one providing the reader with a snippet from Ram Mohammad's life and answering the reader's own question, how did a boy from the slums know all the correct answers? Swarup is realistic in his approach, these chapters are not in chronological order. Instead, each answer is embedded in various parts of Ram's life, from a young orphan child to an inquisitive young adult who's life is ultimately being led by fate. Despite the amazing conclusion that his life adventures result in, each one is associated with a harrowing and tragic experience that deems the young man far from lucky.

In addition to the plot, the novel's strengths are consistent throughout. The inevitable descriptions of India give the reader a mere insight into the opposing worlds that exist alongside one another, the riches brushing shoulders with the penniless. Ram Mohammad lives very much in the latter, however he has a taster of the former and this only enhances the dramatic difference between the two. The described culture is equally fascinating and shocking.

Swarup is an excellent story teller. The content is at times difficult to read but the style is easy and flows extremely well. He has a fast pace and spins the character's stories in an interesting way that left me caring and wondering about the climax to each chapter. Despite the predictable nature of the book (we know the ending), Swarup maintains the ability to throw in numerous unexpected twists, turns and surprises. This includes the lead up to each question. As the reader, I failed to pinpoint which detail from Ram's life would be the key to each correct answer. This added another element to the novel.

However, due to the structure of the novel, each chapter felt at times like an individual story in itself, which it was. But, for me, I felt this was a negative to the novel. It felt like the chapters were entirely seperate from one another and caused the book to be jolty, failing to flow in a smooth manner. Swarup's writing style was the opposite and it didn't take long to pull me into each adventure, but between chapters, the gap was evident. I never finished a chapter and was overly eager to start the next, as they explored another aspect and didn't follow on. As a result, I wasn't hooked to the novel at any point, I could cast the book aside for a few days and not wonder too much about the characters. Only once I was mid chapter did I care. For me, this was a major downfall as I feel it's important to feel connected to the characters throughout.

Overall, Slumdog Millionaire was a relatively enjoyable but harrowing story. The novel has several strengths which are glaringly obvious but the structure ruined the story to a certain extent. Despite this, I would highly recommend reading it as I think the criticisms were reflective of my personal taste rather than a distinct error with the novel.

7/10 :yes:

Edited by BookBee8

Yeah, I just watched it today. I can't believe how different it is from the book! Thought it was pretty good though. The main guy was excellent in it. I'm not sure what his name is though! :yes:

Do you prefer the book to the film? And was the film different from the book in a good or a bad way?

I've heard of the movie (I mean who hasn't after the Oscars) but I didn't know anything about it, didn't even know there was a book until I read your post on it. Thanks for the review, it made me interested :)

Dev Patal :yes: I think I heard it was different, from your review I guess the end of the book is less dramatic

I thought the ending to the book was really cheesy but fitting. Definitely less dramatic than the film.

Do you prefer the book to the film? And was the film different from the book in a good or a bad way?

I've heard of the movie (I mean who hasn't after the Oscars) but I didn't know anything about it, didn't even know there was a book until I read your post on it. Thanks for the review, it made me interested :)

I've just thought about this and for once, I honestly can't decide which I prefer as they're so different. I honestly think they're on par with each other in terms of impact, both quite moving and honest. I thought Dev Patel (thanks Lucy!) was fantastic in the film though. In terms of the story, which they changed quite a lot of, I think I prefer the book.

I'm surprised you didn't know there was a book. Although, I knew about the book before I heard about the movie. :D If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to know if other people have the same reaction to it.

I've just thought about this and for once, I honestly can't decide which I prefer as they're so different. I honestly think they're on par with each other in terms of impact, both quite moving and honest. I thought Dev Patel (thanks Lucy!) was fantastic in the film though. In terms of the story, which they changed quite a lot of, I think I prefer the book.

I'm surprised you didn't know there was a book. Although, I knew about the book before I heard about the movie. :) If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to know if other people have the same reaction to it.

I guess you not being able to decide which one's better (movie or book) is a good thing: that means that they're both great in their own different ways and they can both be enjoyed as they are. I think I'm going for the book first, I already made a reservation for it in the local library :yes:

hmm this is making me really want to read the book now to compare, I still have to finish The Liar though, and I was planning on reading Lost in a Good Book after that...I guess that's the problem with a TBR list that's bigger than 3 or 4 books

:) It's mad, I've got 80 on my TBR. Around 50 of them I'm really keen to read so every time I finish a book I'm torn a thousand ways, just trying to pick the next one.

I'm exactly the same! :D

I hate it when I have to choose a book because like you both I have so favourites that I want to read.:yes: