9. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak 8/10

10. Slumdog Millionaire - Vikas Swarup 7/10

11. Twilight: Director's Notebook - Catherine Hardwicke 10/10

12. Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay 8/10

13. Life On The Refrigerator Door - Alice Kuipers 7/10

14. Looking For JJ - Anne Cassidy 4/10

15. Lucky Man: A Memoir - Michael J. Fox 9.5/10

16. Blue Diary - Alice Hoffman 6.5/10

17. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer 9/10 (re-read)

18. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer 8/10 (re-read)

19. Eclipse - Stephen Meyer 9.5/10(re-read)

20. Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer 7.5/10 (re-read)

21. On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan 4/10

Top 10 of 2009 (Fiction)

1. Testimony - Anita Shreve

2. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

3. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

4. The Reader - Bernhard Schlink

5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

6. The Host - Stephenie Meyer

7. Slumdog Millionaire - Vikas Swarup

8. The Death And Life Of Charlie St.Cloud - Ben Sherwood

9. Life On The Refrigerator Door - Alice Kuipers

10. Blue Diary - Alice Hoffman

:P:boogie:;)

Edited by BookBee8
Deleted TBR list

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I was trying to think of a way of writing a review without giving too much away; I know how annoyed I'd be if I accidentally read a spoiler in someone else's review. So I figured I'd write two for each book. One spoiler free and one detailed and full of spoilers. Then it's entirely up to the individual if they wish to know any key plot points or character details, right?

1. THE HOST - STEPHENIE MEYER

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. Wanderer, the invading 'soul' who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

I'd like to begin by stating that the only reason I continued reading this book past the first few chapters was because I'm a huge fan of Twilight. I wanted to give this book the same chance and was so determined to read the entire thing, even though I was tempted to give up. It took me over a week to read the first 50 pages as I struggled to get into it. To me, it felt a little like I'd been thrown into the deep end and didn't really know what was going on. The writing style is very similar to Twilight; I think it was just the introduction to the characters and the beginning of the plot that didn't appeal.

Having said that, after a very slow start, once I got to a certain point I was sucked in completely and enjoyed the rest of the book immensely. From reading the blurb, I was both fascinated and intrigued to know exactly how this love triangle would play out. I was also curious to know exactly how these two could co-exist with each other. I wasn't disappointed with either of my queries. Both were written in a believable way that allowed the reader to relate to all the characters involved. The main character, Wanderer, is very likeable. The world created by Meyer around Wanderer and Melanie interested me enough that I was desperate to know more. The story continues in a way that builds on the bare basics provided by the blurb; it goes above and beyond what's expected.

I've heard many people saying that this is a book for people who do not like sci-fi. I agree whole-heartedly with this. Having avoided sci-fi at all costs in the past, my only reason for choosing to read this book was my love for the Twilight series. My previous impression of sci-fi was that it's too unbelievable. Yet, The Host was presented in a way that I had no such problems. I could visualise Meyer's descriptions without losing any sense of reality, somehow!

To sum, I would definitely recommend everyone to try reading The Host. If the beginning had been different, I would have easily said it was a fantastic read but as it is, it's very good. It's left so that a sequel could easily be written and I sincerely hope that she does write one, I will be queuing up to buy it the day it is released.

For any Twilight readers - I tried to read The Host without comparing it too much to Twilight. I managed to do it consciously for the most part but I suppose once concluding, it is unavoidable. It stands alone as a very good novel and has a similar appeal to Twilight, once it gets started. I do think other Twilight fans will enjoy The Host and it has some very similar qualities. Having said that, it is obviously different and if vampires was the main attraction, then look elsewhere!

8/10 :lol:

As stated above, The Host was insanely slow to begin. The first several (or more) chapters describe the experiences of Wanderer in her first few months in Melanie's body. Meyer has a clear understanding of exactly where the story is going but as the reader, I was a little lost and confused. I think the first chapter threw me off with all these new terms and words which the characters obviously understood, but as the reader, you don't. Such as all these other planets and Healers and Seekers. I remember thinking that maybe it was too 'sci-fi' for me but I'm so glad that I continued with it, it's well worth it!

For me, the story began to pick up when Uncle Jeb discovers Wanda and Melanie in the desert. Wanderer's first initial meeting and few weeks with these humans in hiding was a roller coaster for the reader. I found that I was constantly torn. Meyer wrote it in a way that both sides could easily be seen and empathised with. It was easy to relate to the humans and the anger and hostility that they felt towards this unwanted soul. Yet, with Wanderer's explanation and knowledge of the soul world, you couldn't help but see it from her persepctive also. I found this fascinating.

In terms of characters, although he wasn't one of my favourites, Jared was very easy to empathise with. The conflicting emotions that he must have been experiencing for the majority of the book was so understandable. Here was the body of the girl he loved with the mind of something he hated the existence of. I thought Jared's sudden switch was a bit sudden and had expected him to warm slowly to Wanda, rather than how it was written.

I also liked Jamie and Ian a lot. Jamie was instantly likeable and very sweet. As for Ian, I didn't expect him to become such a central character. I questioned Ian's (and Jeb's and Doc's) motives for a long time, even up to the point where it was almost near the end. Ian reminded me of Jacob (from Twilight). His persistency and urge to give Wanda exactly what she wanted was very similar. Except, I prefer Ian! His reaction to Wanda choosing to leave Melanie's body was so heart-wrenching. I do wish Meyer would have included Jeb's voiced reasons for saving Wanda/Melanie. I expected a deep one-to-one but it never happened.

In terms of Wanda/Melanie. As the main character(s), I loved the opposing personalites. Wanda reminds me of no-one I know and that's what makes her so special. As a soul, she is a kind hearted, beautiful person and her actions relfected that. For example, saving Kyle when others would have let him fall!

I found that the fact that most of the characters had obvious flaws very enduring. I find that when you can understand the reasoning behind a weakness or a fault in someone, you can relate to them. Hence the reason it was difficult to dislike a single character. If anything, I disliked Sharon and Maggie but only for their persistent stubborness to accept Wanda. But then, that was completly understandable, given the circumstances!

Other comments:

Volcano world was easy to imagine. Could have easily become repeptitive but wasn't.

Expected Wanda to be a Healer.

Saddened and shocked by Wes and Walter's deaths.

Compared Wanda/Melanie to Jacob's Bella/Edward's Bella. Would love to know if anyone else saw that similarity.

:lol:On to the next one!

Edited by BookBee8

Well, I'm an average Twilight fan, so I might give this a shot. It sounds good from your recommendations. :lol:

Yeah, I'd definitely say give it a go. :lol:

The Rescue was a really nice book :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I might bump it up my TBR pile a bit then!

Yeah, I'd definitely say give it a go. :lol:

Thanks for the recommendation. I might bump it up my TBR pile a bit then!

Maybe If I get chance. :lol:

2. TESTIMONY - ANITA SHREVE. (19.01.09-20.01.09)

At a New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voice -- those of the men, women, teenagers, and parents involved in the scandal -- that details the ways in which lives can be derailed or destroyed in one foolish moment.

Within the first few pages, Shreve shocks the reader by describing the videotape in explicit detail. These descriptions stay in the reader's mind throughout the novel as the series of events that follow all come back to that one videotape.

Initially, the story is told from the headteacher's perspective but as the events unfold, Shreve allows for all the characters involved to have their say. This includes the students, teachers, parents, reporters, police officers and also other minor characters. It forces the reader to see the situation from so many different view points, that you're left questioning what is right and what is wrong. You find yourself empathizing with the 'wrong' characters and becoming attached. The line between moral and immoral becomes blurred and you're left realising that nothing is ever black and white.

The novel's format is a little buggy at first as it jumps not only from character to character but from before the event, to afterwards. At times, for a few pages into the next chapter, you're wondering exactly when it is and who's perspective it's being told from now. This quickly becomes easy to follow as you begin to identify the characters and 'where' they are simply by their opening sentences. The format makes the reader read the book at a much quicker pace, desperate to know more and wondering how your favourite character will be when you next come to read about them. There is little dialogue as it's told as a series of accounts of the past.

This is a very difficult book to read. It triggers a reaction in the reader's belief systems and emphasizes the point that one perspective is never enough. That no one single person can ever know the full truth. It's a very emotional and thought-provoking read that leaves the reader thinking long after the last page. The results of that one senseless event leads to disastrous consequences. Simply put, it shows how one night can change a person's life forever. And how a life changing event is not limited to the central people involved but of all those around them, how it effects everyone.

9/10 :roll:

Edited by BookBee8

*SPOILER VERSION* TESTIMONY - ANITA SHREVE

Two eighteen year old boys and a nineteen year old boy are caught on a tape performing sexual acts on a fourteen year old girl in a drunken state.

That is the first impression the reader receives. Immediately, it's unavoidable but to jump to conclusions and judgments as in many societies, the above is immoral and a criminal act. In Vermont, where the novel takes place, the above is classed as sexual harassment.

But then, you hear the stories of all the characters. From Silas, Rob and J.Dot - The boys from the videotape. Sienna, the girl, also has her input.

As shocking as it sounds, the reader finds themselves emphasizing with the wrong characters. Sienna's character is immediately portrayed as a self centered girl who seems more than desperate for attention. Her account of what happened differs to both the boys and other witnesses, suggesting that she may be lying.

J.Dot's (the nineteen year old) character is un-remorseful and places all the blame on the fourteen year old girl. In contrast, Rob's character believes no-one was to blame and everyone was to blame.

Silas, the character that tugs at the reader's heartstrings is full of remorse and guilt, totally blaming himself. His account is told through a series of letters he writes to his girlfriend that are full of his regret and pain over what happened. Silas had witnessed his mother having a marital affair and as a result, his anger had led to events that changed and ruined his life. The reader finds themselves rooting for Silas, in hope that everything will work out ok for him and his sweet girlfriend, Noelle. However, there is no happy ending for Silas and Noelle. The only character the reader finds themselves understanding the most, has the worst consequences and the ending is a tear-jerker.

It's easy to forget exactly what these boys actually did when you're reading and understanding their perspective. Despite this, the reader is constantly reminded of the bare facts of what they did, and as a result, is constantly switching. It's hard to settle on a fair judgment for too long as the novel takes another turn and the reader has no choice but to see it from another's point of view.

The basic moral of this book is how one single event, can have life-changing consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

3. NEVER SAY NEVER - MELISSA HILL (21.01.09-31.01.09)

Sometimes hopes and dreams don't go according to plan - sometimes, real life gets in the way. On a mild May evening, a group of friends on the verge of graduating speculate on what the future holds. Will Leah be a chef? Robin an accountant? And Olivia the one who holds it all together? The one thing they know is that they'll always be friends - no matter what - but they make a pact to meet up in five years, just in case fate intervenes. Years later it's clear that life has not gone according to plan. Why is Robin in New York determined never to go back to Dublin? Why is Olivia grieving? And why does Leah feel so left out as she heads towards the big three-o? When Robin is forced to return, they all find themselves face to face with the past - suddenly nothing can ever be the same again. And they start to realize that sometimes it's best never to say never...

Up until yesterday, I had to force myself to pick this book up and continue you with it. Hence the reason it took me ten long days to finish it! It felt like I was reading it to get through it rather than actually enjoying the story.

I carried on as I've read a few of Melissa Hill's in the past and have been pleasantly surprised. She writes chick lit in a similar way to a crime novel; there are usually lots of twists and the plot is completely unpredictable. From experience, the average chick lit novels are light, enjoyable and yet thoroughly predictable reads. And that's where Melissa Hill is different. My singular reason for continuing with this current book is that was I waiting for the big twist and spending the entire time trying to guess it, and failing to.

The book picked up around page 300 which is far too late. Up to that point, the story was very average, almost boring. It was a very typical Melissa Hill novel in that there was lots of loose ends which the reader knows will be tied up at some point. However, this is left until the very last minute which leaves the ending with a somewhat rushed feel.

The characters were your average thirty-somethings with a typical cliche trait about them; the single mother, the 'bitch', the materialistic one. You get the idea. As the reader, I struggled to differentiate between them as individuals and found that only two female characters stuck out, and that was because their negative traits were over exaggerated. I had no 'favourite' character.

For fans of Melissa Hill, this is by far not her best novel neither is it particularly good as chick lit goes either. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a fan of chick lit. In that case, I would say go for it. It's your typical chick lit book with an added bonus of an actual twist or two; very rare in that genre.

4/10 :lol:

Edited by BookBee8

4. THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE - AUDREY NIFFENEGGER (31.01.09-07.02.09)

This extraordinary, magical novel is the story of Clare and Henry who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. His disappearances are spontaneous and his experiences are alternately harrowing and amusing. The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's passionate love for each other with grace and humour. Their struggle to lead normal lives in the face of a force they can neither prevent nor control is intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

Prior to reading this book I'd read fantastic reviews about it and had been recommended it a few times over. Starting a book with high expectations is always difficult as they rarely live up to the standards set. However, with The Time Traveler's Wife, I wasn't disappointed. Although it was entirely different to what I'd expected.

The novel is written in a believable, yet extraordinary way which is both beautiful and heartbreaking from the very first page. The story is told through the two main characters, Henry and Clare, over a series events from their past, present and future. This could have easily been confusing for the reader but it's unexpectedly easy to follow. However, having said that, it's not a light read. It engages the reader and forces them to be more active. A matter of concentrating and linking all the past (or future) happenings together. The writing styles varies from the simplistic and 'show rather than tell' to more complex, detailed accounts of particular moments in time. The novel is immensely clever and totally original, it's like nothing I've ever come across before. Niffenegger has an amazing imagination and executes this is in a way that is often moving and humorous.

The novel is not flawless though. I found the pace of the book changed around the middle section. The entire book is a page turner but for a significant section of it, it felt like I was reading just to reach the inevitable. Towards the end of the book, several things happen which come across as a little unnecessary.

Such as, the loss of Henry's feet. I felt this was unnecessary as they'd both suffered enough.

And although the ending is the obvious, expected tear-jerker; I found the novel took too long to wrap up and then suddenly, for such a build up, the ending was rather quick.

Personally, I feel the reader found out about Henry's death too early on, so inevitably was simply waiting for it to happen. And then, when it did occur, it was all very sudden.

For me, the ending was a bit of a let down and I'd expected more from such a great novel.

To sum, The Time Traveler's Wife is a stunning novel which could appeal to both genders and a variety of ages. Although it is a tale of romance, it's also so much more than that. I would definitely recommend it and will probably be a novel that I return to at some point in time (No pun intended :roll:).

8/10 :lol:

Edited by BookBee8

Meant to get to this last night and got distracted:

I agree with everything you said, BookBee. It's a great read but it kinda loses track of itself. Glad you enjoyed it though!! And great review btw, do you write a bookblog at all? You should.

I agree with everything you said, BookBee. It's a great read but it kinda loses track of itself. Glad you enjoyed it though!! And great review btw, do you write a bookblog at all? You should.

Thank you! :eek: No, I don't have a bookblog, I did think about having one but I decided to just write all my reviews on here instead.

I just found a copy of it at my usual library. I will definitely be reading it! :friends0:

Ooh, I hope you enjoy it. :lol: