Bee's Books 2009

BookBee8

:lol: It's mad, I've got 80 on my TBR. Around 50 of them I'm really keen to read so every time I finish a book I'm torn a thousand ways, just trying to pick the next one.

I came up with a plan a couple of weeks ago ... with about 80 book still on my TBR list, I decided to put them in the order I was going to read them to reduce the changeover time between books! I rated the books from 1 to 5 based on how desperate I was to read them, 1 being desperate and 5 being no immediate nagging need being quite harsh to try and spread the ratings evenly. Then within each ranking, I sorted the books so that I had a different type of book each time, e.g. a YA book followed by a classic followed by a chick-lit followed by a contemporary fiction etc. This way, I know what book I've got coming next, so even if I'm not too impressed with the book I'm reading, I know exactly what I'm looking forward to reading next, to encourage me to keep going! It took me half an hour to do and it's taken all the hassle out of choosing the next book. I'm not so rigid that I can't change my mind if I feel like something different when I do finish each book, but I know what my next book of each genre was on the list, and I can adjust the plan if necessary.

I know, I'm really sad, but I'm a sucker for lists, and it genuinely has helped!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11. TWILIGHT: DIRECTOR'S NOTEBOOK - CATHERINE HARDWICKE (20.03.09)

This intimate full-colour 'notebook', designed to replicate the one director Catherine Hardwicke kept on and off the set, takes you through the creative process that went into making Stephenie Meyer's breathtaking novel come alive on screen - from casting to costumes, stunts to storyboards. With never-before-seen notes, sketches, and photographs taken directly from the visionary director's personal notebook, this book includes everything from her visual inspirations, to step-by-step breakdowns of action sequences, to a behind-the-scenes look at some of the most pivotal moments in the creation of the film, and much more. Get the inside story - this collectable notebook will be a must-have addition to every TWILIGHT fan's bookshelf!

I don't really have much to add as the above synopsis pretty much sums it up perfectly. I loved it! With chapters exploring character development, music, visual effects and all the key scenes in the movie, it's a brief insight into the movie making process of Twilight. I thought it was great. It has a really personal feel to it with fascinating information that any Twilight fan would love to know. My personal favourite parts was the section on each individual character. I completely agree with the synopsis: this collectable notebook will be a must-have addition to every TWILIGHT fan's bookshelf!

10/10 :lol:

I came up with a plan a couple of weeks ago ... with about 80 book still on my TBR list, I decided to put them in the order I was going to read them to reduce the changeover time between books!

That's a great idea :haha: Sounds like something I would love to do, only I have over 400 books on my TBR pile, and I think it would take too long to do! Do you think your priorities will change over time or they'll stay the same as they are now?

That's a great idea :haha: Sounds like something I would love to do, only I have over 400 books on my TBR pile, and I think it would take too long to do! Do you think your priorities will change over time or they'll stay the same as they are now?

I think as long as I don't buy any more books, then I'll probably stick with the order I've chosen. I have already bumped a few up the list by a couple of places, but I think it'll pretty much stay the same. I'm hoping to read most of them by the end of the year, which isn't that far off so I think I'll be okay leaving them in that order.

If you've got that many on your TBR list, why not just pick out the next 20 or so that you're desperate to read, and then prioritise those? At least it gives you a bit of a plan, and then you can start to think of the next 20 or so, when you've only got a few left of the original 20.

I picked this up last week but was a bit unsure about it. However, seeing as you gave it a pretty good rating and we have pretty similar tastes, I might go back and pick up a copy :haha:.

:D Seeing as I'm your average (totally obsessed) Twilight fan, I thought it was great. I just wish it had more in it, it is a bit brief. I hope you enjoy it!

Have you read the movie guide one? I can't remember who it's by! But I wasn't as keen on that one, although it did have loads and loads of information on the movie, it was more technical than the notebook. Like how they did the 'sparkle' effect and information on the lighting and stuff. Don't get me wrong, it was interesting but it was less about the characters and key scenes. Which is what I'm more interested in! :D

Have you read the movie guide one? I can't remember who it's by! But I wasn't as keen on that one, although it did have loads and loads of information on the movie, it was more technical than the notebook. Like how they did the 'sparkle' effect and information on the lighting and stuff. Don't get me wrong, it was interesting but it was less about the characters and key scenes. Which is what I'm more interested in! :D

You mean the one with the picture of Rob Pattinson with his shirt open :haha:? I've only flicked through it and had a look at the picture's, not read too much of it yet although I will get round to it.

You mean the one with the picture of Rob Pattinson with his shirt open :D? I've only flicked through it and had a look at the picture's, not read too much of it yet although I will get round to it.

Yep, that would be the one! :haha: It does have amazing pictures in it! :D

12. DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER - JEFF LINDSAY (19.03.09 - 27.03.09)

Dexter Morgan isn't exactly the kind of man you'd bring home to your mum. At heart, he's the perfect gentleman: he has a shy girlfriend, and seems to lead a quiet, normal life bordering on the mundane. Despite the fact that he can't stand the sight of blood, he works as a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami police. But Dexter also has a secret hobby: he is an accomplished serial killer. So far, he's killed 36 people and has never been caught because he knows exactly how to hide the evidence. And while that may lead some people to assume he's not such a nice guy, he tempers his insatiable hunger for brutality by only killing the bad guys. However, Dexter's well-organised life is suddenly disrupted when a second, much more visible serial killer appears in Miami. Intrigued that the other killer favours a style similar to his own, Dexter soon realises that the mysterious new arrival is not simply invading his turf but offering him a direct invitation to 'come out and play'.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first novel in the Dexter series and an impressive novel for author, Jeff Lindsay. The series was recommended several times by various BCF members (:lol:) and after reading the blurb, I was intrigued! I loved how the concept is a morally complex one and I was really interested to see how Lindsay would portray this.

As always, the writing style becomes very apparent almost instantly and for Lindsay, this was a positive thing. From the very first page, he has knack for setting the scene and uses great visual imagery, various metaphors and the odd oxymoron. None of these become tedious as he doesn't use them to excess, but rather at the right time to set the perfect scene. The novel is also a real page turner as it is relatively fast paced.

In terms of the story itself, I found it to be witty and clever with a dark humour underlying the narration by Dexter. His character was different to how I assumed he would be from the blurb and these surprising traits added more depth to the story. The plot was totally unexpected at times and Lindsay was good at maintaining suspense and creating twists. Due to this, he keeps you guessing right up to last page and you're never really sure of the direction he's headed next. Towards the end, even when tying up the ends, Lindsay does it in a way so it's never quite what you expect. The ending sets up well for the following book.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter is not in the type of genre that I usually go for, so although I was looking forward to it, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. It was a great read and an unusual insider's perspective but I wasn't entirely hooked on it. Although it was very readable and immensely clever, I wasn't blown away by it. Highly recommenced though and I will definitely be reading the rest in the series.

8/10 :blush:

Edited by BookBee8

Great review Bookbee! I'm so glad you liked Dexter so much you'll be reading the other novels too! :lol:

(Jeff Lindsay is actually the pen name of Jeffry P. Freundlich who has written four books using his own name before writing the Dexter books using the name Jeff Lindsay)

Thanks for your review, BookBee! This is on my list, so I'm happy to see you enjoyed it. :D

I`m really looking forward to reading this now! thanks for the review. :(

You're welcome. :D I hope you both enjoy it when you read it!

Great review Bookbee! I'm so glad you liked Dexter so much you'll be reading the other novels too! :D

(Jeff Lindsay is actually the pen name of Jeffry P. Freundlich who has written four books using his own name before writing the Dexter books using the name Jeff Lindsay)

Ohhh, ok, I did think it was an amazing debut novel! Hehe. Thanks for sharing! :lol: *Runs off to look up the other books* :blush:

13. Life On The Refrigerator Door - Alice Kuipers (30.03.09)

Beautifully told through notes left on their kitchen fridge, this is an intimate portrait of the relationship between a hard-working mother and her teenage daughter. Stunningly sad but ultimately uplifting, it is about being a 'good mother' or a 'good daughter', and is a reminder of how much can be said in so few words, if only we made the time to say them.

Being 100% honest, I wasn't expecting much from this book, nor was I expecting it to have any real depth. Due to it's format, I assumed it would be a quick read and one that had little impact. I was correct on one thing; it is a quick read, one that can be read very easily in one sitting and within the same hour.

The format was what initially put me off the book as I wrongly assumed that a story could not be told in that manner. At least, not one with a decent plot and characters worth caring about. Once again, I was incorrect. Kuipers manages to create two very real characters who are going through a very sad and hard time in their lives. The issue that the author covers is a tragic and difficult one. Kiepers grasps this situation and covers the range of emotions experienced as well as a book twice this size and with thousands more words. For some, this book could easily be a tear jerker as it covers real, raw emotion from both mother and daughter, and covers issues which are both written and merely implied. Some could read this book and possibly recognize words, thoughts and feelings from their own lives.

For me, the format was both a plus and a negative of the book. I liked how it was unusual, interesting, held my attention and managed to include some depth and emotion. However, I disliked how quick the book was to read and felt it could've had a larger impact had it been longer or written differently. Having said that, the format did work and the moral was entirely obvious -A reminder of how much can be said in so few words, if only we made the time to say them. I would recommend this book to others as it's worth reading.

7/10 :blush:

Edited by BookBee8

14. LOOKING FOR JJ - ANNE CASSIDY (28.03.09 - 01.04.09)

Synopsis from Waterstones - A gripping and emotionally searing novel from a talented author, Looking for JJ explores the circumstances and motives behind the murder of a child - by her friend. Six years later, JJ has now been released, and has a new identity. But is there any way that she can lead a "normal" life?

Looking For JJ is the first novel I've read by this author, and it will probably be the last. The idea is a dark, harrowing one but the novel is aimed at young teens; the combination does not work. The book tells the story of Alice Tully, a girl who knows the exact events of that tragic day six years before. The beginning of the book introduces the reader to Alice and provides the blueprint to her life. As the books progresses, the reader learns the exact details of the months leading up to the murder, and the murder itself. After this, the end quarter of the book (and the book is less than 300 pages) finally shows Alice as she is faced with her new life falling apart.

The writing is immensley easy to follow due to the target audience and because of this the book has little to no real depth. Most of the characters are one dimensional and I felt little connection to any of them. Cassidy throws in a few tactics to ensure that the reader feels sympathy for certain characters and a strong dislike for others. This strategy might have worked, had it not been so glaringly obvious that that was her intention. But then, I realise the book is for much younger readers so perhaps her style is spot on. Having said that, the actual plot and the whole basis of the novel is a disturbing one, with references to murder (obviously), prostitution and other sexual content, neglect and bullying. The book also poses a few questions, does a person ever really deserve a second chance? And even if they do, will society permit them to have this chance? Answer? No, probably not. Personally, I'm not entirely sure that young teens should be reading material such as that, but maybe I'm wrong. To sum on that point; the plot and material is for adults but the writing is so mind numbingly simple and 'show rather than tell' that an adult cannot gain much from it, other than boredom maybe.

Despite my (obvious) complaints, the end quarter (approx. 80 pages) was a little more gripping than the rest. This was far too late to raise any interest in the characters though. As the book was predictable from page one (literally), the ending was not a surprise, nor was it a particularly good ending either. However, I admit, it was a neat way to end the book and left me wondering. Although, this may have been due to my own interest in the situation, rather than any interest that Anne Cassidy may have sparked in me.

:rant:To sum? Very, very easy to read and enjoyable at times but definitely not one I'd recommend.

4/10

Thanks a lot for the review Bee. I saw you were reading this and I was considering adding it to my TBR list however after your assessment I don't think I will bother. You are proving to be an effective filter!

:friends0: You are welcome! I don't think I'd recommend this book to anyone, of any age. But it did win a prize and has been shortlisted quite a few times though, so maybe you'd like it?

True. You do make it sound very appealing. This line from your review particularly made me want to lurch into it:

writing is so mind numbingly simple and 'show rather than tell' that an adult cannot gain much from it, other than boredom maybe

:hug::lol:

Great review Bee... This does sound ike a strange subject to expose young teens to. Or rather, I have nothing against treating mature young teens as adults and telling them/ discussing with them about such harsh subjects. It's part of growing up. But if an author is going to treat them like adults, she should do it all the way... And offer a book which truly explores the theme.

Anyway, I haven't read this book, and probably wont now. Thanks!

Hiya Bookbee!

I just wanted to come here and say thanks again for your review on Q&A. I wasn't interested in the whole Slumdog Millionaire thing before I read your review. I just finished the book on Monday and thought it was brilliant :smile2: I'm definitely going to see the movie too some day.

But if an author is going to treat them like adults, she should do it all the way... And offer a book which truly explores the theme.

Exactly! That's what bothered me so much about it. I just don't think the combination worked at all.

Thanks for the comment. :smile2:

I just wanted to come here and say thanks again for your review on Q&A. I wasn't interested in the whole Slumdog Millionaire thing before I read your review. I just finished the book on Monday and thought it was brilliant :irked: I'm definitely going to see the movie too some day.

Hey. :) You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. I thought the film was equally good, if not completely different. Let me know what you think of the film when you get around to watching it.