Bee's Books 2009

BookBee8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button And Six Other Short Stories - F. Scott Fitzgerald (07.02.09-10.02.09)

Full grown with a long, smoke-coloured beard, requiring the services of a cane and fonder of cigars than warm milk, Benjamin Button is a very curious baby indeed. And, as Benjamin becomes increasingly youthful with the passing years, his family wonders why he persists in the embarrassing folly of living in reverse. In this imaginative fable of ageing and the other stories collected here - including "The Cut-Glass Bowl" in which an ill-meant gift haunts a family's misfortunes, "The Four Fists" where a man's life shaped by a series of punches to his face, and the revelry, mobs and anguish of "May Day" - F. Scott Fitzgerald displays his unmatched gift as a writer of short stories.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - A 28 page short story that adds little to the blurb, the reader learns little more. Although the writing style was descriptive for the most part, the story flows as expected, with ease and at a quick pace. Ultimately a very sad tale about a lonely individual who is unlike anyone else. Fitzgerald includes a touch of unexpected, sweet humour within the first few pages but this doesn't last. By far the best story in this collection of his works and well worth a quick read. 8/10 :D

Head And Shoulders - Another relatively sweet story with a very basic moral that is obvious throughout; how love can change people and make them act in unexpected ways. A little confusing in parts and fairly average. 5/10 :blush:

The Cut-Glass Bowl - The third story in the collection took far too long to reach any climax. Even with the blurb as a guide, it seemed largely pointless. The writing style switched between fairly engaging to downright boring. 4/10 :)

The Four Fists - A story about a man who's life is altered by a number of punches to the face where he basically learns a 'life lesson' from each. The introduction was intriguing and made the reader wish to know more about the character. The idea is a little predictable but written well. 6/10 :)

May Day - The longest story in the book provides the most character depth and exploration. Tells the story of several characters lives post war and all their many perspectives. Their lives all happen to be intertwined in ways. Fitzgerald tended to go off on descriptive tangents which tended to be a little distracting from the story. 5/10 :roll:

'O Russet Witch' and Crazy Sunday - Placed together as they are both equally the worst out of the collection. As the reader, I had little to no idea what the point in either of the stories was and both seemed like a waste of time. 2/10 :blush:

Overall, I would only recommend the book to fans of Fitzgerald, who find his style appealing and enjoy short stories. His plot and descriptions at times are incredibly tedious and seemingly pointless. The writing style was constantly switching; at times it was an intriguing page turner but then at the most part, it was a skim read due to boredom. The book had the feel of an academic text which begs to be analyzed but ultimately felt like a compulsory read, rather than one for enjoyment.

Having said that, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button is above average and fairly enjoyable so that would be a recommendation.

4/10

Edited by BookBee8

I'm defnitly interested in The Time Travellers Wife now. Will add it to my list,birthday coming up soon,i think i may drop a few hints! Also intreested in the Anita Shreve book,Testimony. I've read one of her books before,can't remember the name and i wasn't that impressed with it. But Testimony sounds good from your review.

I'd been waiting to see what you might be saying about this bit by Fitzgerald, BookBee. At the very least, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button proved to be worth it. Finding a volume with just that story is definitely the ticket.

Great review, just like the last time. You really should have a book blog :blush:

At the very least, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button proved to be worth it.

Great review, just like the last time. You really should have a book blog :)

:blush: By far his best out of the lot and quite enjoyable. I laughed out loud at some parts! Hehe.

:blush: Aw, thank you! I might think about it, I just wouldn't know where to start with one.

If you use something like blogger or wordpress it's really easy, you pretty much just sign up, choose a layout from the ones offered, name your blog and you're away. I use blogger and find it super easy to use, but I know other's on here use wordpress, so maybe see what you prefer the look of :blush: (plus they're both free, woo!)

:blush: Aw, thank you! I might think about it, I just wouldn't know where to start with one.

lexie gave you the perfect sites for the start as you saw. I myself opened one at the Blogger today. I for one tend to browse the book blogs of those here on the forum, so yours might be on my list if/when you open one.

For me also, it helps me practice and further develop my writing skills :roll:.

I say go for it! :blush: No pressure of course :)

I tried both Blogger and Wordpress and found Blogger to be easier for me, but it's all about personal preference and on what your blog will focus! I think you should give it a try, BookBee.. You might love it, and I bet you'd be really good at it. :blush:

Andaira, let us know how you get on w/yours! :blush:

Thanks so much for that. I like the look of that Blogger one. Do a lot of people tend to go on them? I'd worry that no-one would want to read it. :blush:

I think it depends on how many people know about them. I mostly read the blogs everyone here has because they're in signatures so I actually see them when I reply to posts :) I have the Blogger one but I doubt anyone reads it :blush: I just like having a place to list my books :roll:

I think it depends on how many people know about them. I mostly read the blogs everyone here has because they're in signatures so I actually see them when I reply to posts :) I have the Blogger one but I doubt anyone reads it :blush: I just like having a place to list my books :roll:

Yeah I'm the same :) I use it to keep track of my progress in my challenges, my read list etc etc, and I promise I'll read yours if that makes you feel better :blush:

Yeah I'm the same :roll: I use it to keep track of my progress in my challenges, my read list etc etc, and I promise I'll read yours if that makes you feel better :blush:

If you want :blush: It's not that great though :) But I like having a place where I can keep track of books :) I've actually been on yours before and I like it!

6. Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen (11.02.09-11.02.09)

In 1967, after a session with a psychiatrist she'd never seen before, eighteen-year-old Susanna Kaysen was put in a taxi and sent to McLean Hospital to be treated for depression. She spent most of the next two years on the ward for teenage girls in a psychiatric hospital renowned for its famous clientele - Sylvia Plath, Robert Lowell, James Taylor and Ray Charles.

Susanna provides a brief insight into the life of an eighteen year old girl diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and living on a psychiatric ward. The book reads as if it's snippets from a diary or selected sections of her mind; for the most part it's honest and blunt. Some statements pose questions for the reader to consider but these go unanswered due to the tone of the book. The way it's written fits in with the nature of the subject, as each chapter does not flow from the previous one easily, at times they appear random. However, this does not subtract from how quick and easy it is to read as it can be read in one sitting without difficulty.

The fact that it is an easy read is testament to how it is written; the reader feels somewhat distant from not only Susanna but also the numerous events experienced by her as they're described in a very brief way. Only towards the end does the reader receive a deeper insight into Susanna's character. Considering that the book is about mental illness, it should be a lot more difficult to read than it is.

From reading the book, I am intrigued to watch the movie to see how each girl is portrayed. However, seeing as the book is so short and lacks detail, I can imagine the viewer gaining more from the movie. The book is almost like the 'blueprint'.

Overall, a relatively interesting read that lacked detail and as the reader, I gained little from. I wouldn't say it's a must read by a long shot but it's not a waste of time either. If you ever get the chance to read it, I'd say go for it but don't expect a lot.

6/10 :)

Edited by BookBee8

Nice review. :) It lines up with other reviews I've read of the book, both here and at other sites. I'm still curious about it, but won't be in a rush to read it.

The movie is terrific - one of my very favourites. I hope you enjoy it!

Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen ...

From reading the book, I am intrigued to watch the movie to see how each girl is portrayed. However, seeing as the book is so short and lacks detail, I can imagine the viewer gaining more from the movie. The book is almost like the 'blueprint'.

It is, indeed! Some superb performances from great actors - Winona Ryder is great in the lead role, but it's Angelina Joli who really stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

It is, indeed! Some superb performances from great actors - Winona Ryder is great in the lead role, but it's Angelina Joli who really stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

I really loved the movie :)

Thanks for this :D. I watched about a third of it this morning but the rest had been deleted by youtube. I was so annoyed, it seemed really good. And Kell, you're right, Angelina seemed fantastic.