Celebrity Big Brother

Suzanne123

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vowed not to watch it....but Hannah made me.........honest :blush:

Tried ..... to ...... resist the .... urge....temptation .......too great! :lol:

I did resist for the first hour then my daughter remembered about it and put Ch4 +1 on. What can I say?? :roll:

I couldn't resist either. I've never watched celebrity bb before and had to give it a shot when I noticed that the new season has just begun. I recognised all the American celebs, and Mutya and Ulrika (though I don't know why) but didn't know any of the others.

So far it's been a bit boring. It's also been a bit difficult to understand some of their conversations: so many different dialects! I love Tommy's, by the way!

So far I like LaToya, Verne, Coolio, Terry and Tommy. Tina seems nice too.

I had to watch to see who the folk were that were in this time. Like you, I was shocked to see just how short/small Vern is. There are so many things I keep wondering that no-one yet in the house has asked like:

How does he get into a normal sized bed - is there a mini trampolene ???

How does he cope opening all those big doors ?

How does he cope in the normal sized bathroom and loo - or do they have a special low level loo for him and bath? He can't even see in the mirror over the basin either.

He obviously has great problems walking, which you can see causes him great pain but as far as I can see so far, there's nothing in the BB House that has been 'graded down sizewise' for him so the poor guy must be struggling.

Now unfair though this sounds - already word has it that he is the favourite to win. Well with the greatest respect - put an individual who is so very different and handicapped in comparison with the others - folk are going to feel they HAVE to vote for him. I personally don't like feeling that sort of pressure and guilt trip. It was the same with the other BB and the blind chap they had. It really isn't fair on the others to be honest.

To make it a fair contest/game - then they should have had everyone as a midgit/small person (trying to be so PC correct here !!!) but the odds are stacked heavily against the normal sized people in there.

This is what I abhore with BB - pulling a stunt like that, it just makes folk feel uncomfortable. :roll:

Now unfair though this sounds - already word has it that he is the favourite to win. Well with the greatest respect - put an individual who is so very different and handicapped in comparison with the others - folk are going to feel they HAVE to vote for him. I personally don't like feeling that sort of pressure and guilt trip. It was the same with the other BB and the blind chap they had. It really isn't fair on the others to be honest.

I don't think there's any pressure to vote him to win, why should there be?

Sounds harsh but it's called the 'sympathy vote'. I don't like that sort of media manipulation.

In his own right Vern is a lovely chap but he's at a great disadvantage in that house due to the physical difficulties and restrictions he will have to deal with - I don't like to see that - the BB house would appear to have done nothing to accommodate a person of his stature apart from provide him with an electric chair and that's simply not fair on him or the others.

I don't think there's any pressure to vote him to win, why should there be?

I agree. I don't feel any pressure at all to vote for him just because of his condition. I see him as a contestant, just like the rest of them, and I'm sure in time there will be things about him which annoy the hell out of me ... just like the rest of them. :roll:

Edited by Charm
spelling

Lovesreading - I'm so glad you said what you did - being a new member here, I really didn't want to word anything incorrectly or my opinion to be taken the wrong way - but you've understood exactly where I'm coming from.

This is what is so distasteful at times with BB - i.e. they put gay folk in with a homophob or white folk who have a real problem with black folk - they WANT to see a disgreement, swearing etc etc as it makes good TV.

Just like they often put in a page 3 type barbie doll type with a couple good looking young guys - hoping of course for the 'sexual tension' aspect.

Now this is what I so dislike about BB. Their aim is to cause provocation in one form or another all in the name of 'good TV' viewing.

Out of principle, were I to vote for a winner I wouldn't vote for Vern BECAUSE of the situation BB and the media/bookies have put him into and that is very unfair for Vern. I'd rather BB had put a group of little people in the house and not just the one. By having done this it naturally draws attention to Vern - his stature and difficulties living in a world of normal sized folk and negotiating huge furniture etc. It's belittling, humiliating and not in my opinion right that they did this by deliberately drawing attention to him in this way.

I hope I've explained this right :D

Ivyleaf, I certainly see where you're coming from. I would imagine that alot people watching BB aren't going to analyse their thoughts, and realise that it's some sort of 'sympathy' vote.. for most, I think it's human nature.

Added: In the same way, I get annoyed when "talent shows" have children on.. there is always that 'aww, aren't they cute' vote!

Ivyleaf, eventhough I disagree with you on the sympathy vote, I am glad that you voiced your opinion. Different kinds of points-of-view are always welcome!

And I do agree with you on BB wanting to provoke situations by putting representatives of minorities to deal with the majority. There's nothing more characteristic to BB than expecting hot girls to hook-up with hot boys!

But, IMHO, one doesn't have to vote for Verne or feel any pressure to do so. If one likes, let's say, Mutya better, then one may go for that. There's also no reason NOT to vote for Verne if one just happens to like him the best. Yes, I understand what you mean by sympathy vote, I just don't believe that one has to have anything to do with it. Just vote for who you like the best or who you think deserves to win - there's nothing more to it.

Edited by frankie
editing some typos

One more thing that I just couldn't pass without saying something:

I would imagine that alot people watching BB aren't going to analyse their thoughts, and realise that it's some sort of 'sympathy' vote.. for most, I think it's human nature.

Maybe I took this the wrong way, but that felt a bit patronizing to me. Just because I do not agree on the sympathy vote, I do analyse BB as I watch it. I'm no more wrong in not realising the sympathy vote than you are right in realising it. No offence.

I said 'alot of people' frankie, I wasn't saying 'everyone'. I'm just no good at explaining myself.. sorry!

That's alright Michelle, I probably took it a little bit too personally anyway :D I'm always a bit defensive when it comes to BB because there are always people who want to take the mickey out of those who watch it.

I'll tell you who has surprised me and that's La Toya - such a quiet, shy young woman isn't she? Considering the very famous family she's a part of and that one of her most famous brothers is Michael Jackson - so is so unassuming, gentle - not at all how I imagined she would be and for the first time I'm seeing a 'person' and not a 'name' - she's cute.

I'll tell you who has surprised me and that's La Toya - such a quiet, shy young woman isn't she? Considering the very famous family she's a part of and that one of her most famous brothers is Michael Jackson - so is so unassuming, gentle - not at all how I imagined she would be and for the first time I'm seeing a 'person' and not a 'name' - she's cute.

I totally agree. I was expecting something quite different. When she called the private bedroom for herself with her bag immediately the first night I was like "oh, here she goes..." but after that all I've seen is a humble, thoughtful and nice person. She's one of my favorites now.

I totally agree. I was expecting something quite different. When she called the private bedroom for herself with her bag immediately the first night I was like "oh, here she goes..." but after that all I've seen is a humble, thoughtful and nice person. She's one of my favorites now.

Isn't it funny, when Jermaine Jackson was on the show two years ago I expected the same but he turned out to be a nice, humble and thoughtful person too. Maybe all the Jacksons are like that, including Michael, who knows ...

Isn't it funny, when Jermaine Jackson was on the show two years ago I expected the same but he turned out to be a nice, humble and thoughtful person too. Maybe all the Jacksons are like that, including Michael, who knows ...

Maybe! She did say in some Diary Room conversation that she was raised to avoid all confrontation and now she dislikes it, and they are from a big family so they must be used to taking other people's feelings and ideas into consideration.

She's so adorable :D

Edited by frankie
typos

Yeah I agree. When she put the bag straight down I thought she was going to be loud and diva-ish. But I actually really like her. I think she seems very approachable and didn't realise what had happened during her marriage until last night. She is not at all what I thought she would be.

QUOTE Ivyleaf "Out of principle, were I to vote for a winner I wouldn't vote for Vern BECAUSE of the situation BB and the media/bookies have put him into and that is very unfair for Vern. I'd rather BB had put a group of little people in the house and not just the one. By having done this it naturally draws attention to Vern - his stature and difficulties living in a world of normal sized folk and negotiating huge furniture etc. It's belittling, humiliating and not in my opinion right that they did this by deliberately drawing attention to him in this way.

I hope I've explained this right :D"

Why is it unfair on him being put in the house?! In everyday life he doesnt live with the "little people in littleville " you know- he lives in the real world where poeple are bigger than him - so him being in the BB house is surely normal! I dont think its belittling to him at all - he has to face these sort of things all the time - he seems a lovely guy with a great sense of humour - and he is talented actor - a "celeb" -thats why he is in there not to humiliate him because of his size! If people vote for him out of sympathy thats their choice personally i think that's very narow minded-

Edited by Spooncat