Ruth's 2009 reading

Ruth

I think I'll be finishing The Book Thief tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. I must say, it's had me gripped all the way through. I don't know what will happen at the end (at least, I could take a guess, but I still don't know what to expect), but up till now, it's been a terrific read.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Book Thief, and thought it was absolutely wonderful. I want everyone I know to read it!! About to start The Resurrectionist, by James Bradley
Glad you liked The Book Thief, I adored every page of it :D easily one of my best reads of recent years. I mean, the guy's imagery influenced my dreams for goodness' sake, I don't think that's ever happened to me before... skilled writing or what?!

I'd like to hear your thoughts on The Resurrectionist by the way, the theme really interests me but no one I know who's read it liked it at all :D so I'm a bit fearful!

I was not sure what I would make of The Resurrectionist, as I had heard some very mixed reviews. However, I did enjoy it very much. The last part was a bit unnecessary though, and would have been better as a short epilogue, so for that reason I gave it 3.5/5. Overall though - a very good read.

Just finished Fine Just the Way It Is, by Annie Proulx. It is her third collection of Wyoming Stories, and my second favourite of the three.

About to start The Bone Collector, by Jeffrey Deaver. Also still reading Anne Boleyn: A New Life of England's Tragic Queen, by Joanna Denny.

Just finished Anne Boleyn: A New Life of England's Tragic Queen, by Joanna Denny. It was an interesting read about a fascinating time in history, but too biased in favour of Anne.

Now finishing The Bone Collector, by Jeffrey Deaver (which I am very much enjoying so far)!

Just finished Anne Boleyn: A New Life of England's Tragic Queen, by Joanna Denny. It was an interesting read about a fascinating time in history, but too biased in favour of Anne.
h

I think that's quite a common reaction apparently. The biography of Anne that I''ve been recommended, is that by Eric Ives. I'm due to read Anna Whitelock's biography of Mary Tudor in the near future.

Just finished The Bone Collector, and really enjoyed it. Would definitely want to read more in this series.

So glad to hear that! The next novel on the series is The Coffin Dancer and I dare say it's even more gripping than The Bone Collector. I think you would enjoy it :D

A friend has all of the Lincoln Rhyme books, and she has promised to lend them all to me:)

Have finished Girl in a Red Tunic, by Alys Clare. I quite enjoyed it, and would be tempted to read more in the series.

About to start reading The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. I've heard only good things about this one, so am looking forward to it.

Finished The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. I just loved this book, and can't recommend it highly enough. Definitely my favourite read this year.

Now starting The Night Watch, by Sarah Waters. I have really enjoyed the other books I have read by her, so am hoping that this will be a good one!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Bad Mother's Handbook, by Kate Long. It had been languishing on my shelf for at least a couple of years, and I didn't really fancy it. Picked it up on a whim, and ended up enjoying it a lot.

So there it is - my 2009 reads. Looking forward to seeing what new authors and books I will discover in 2010:)