Ruth's 2009 reading

Ruth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Autobiography of a Geisha - very interesting read, and highly recommended to anyone with an interest in geisha.

Am about to start Milk Glass Moon, by Adriana Trigiani; it is the third in her Big Stone Gap series, and I really enjoyed the first two, so I am looking forward to this one:)

Have just finished The Unknown Terrorist, by Richard Flanagan...good story, with disturbing undertones. Am about to start Bad Dirt, by Annie Proulx. It is her second collection of Wyoming stories, and I had mixed feelings about her first (Close Range), so will see what I make of this.

Wow!! Just finished The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood - fabulous book! Very disturbing and chilling though (I felt relief that this was not my life I was reading about).

About to start Death At Dawn, by Caro Peacock - wanted something light and easy to read next.

Wow!! Just finished The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood - fabulous book! Very disturbing and chilling though (I felt relief that this was not my life I was reading about).

That's the 'it' about The Handmaid's Tale, it is disturbing and takes you to a place where you can imagine a reality where this is the norm - and you do thank the heavens that it's not your life. Nail on the head there! :lol:

I've just finished Death at Dawn, by Caro Peacock, and it was a great read - perfect for a bit of escapism.

About to start Morality for Beautiful Girls, by Alexander McCall Smith (third in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series).

About to start Morality for Beautiful Girls, by Alexander McCall Smith (third in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series).

How are you finding them? I've been tempted into trying the series by a friend and have been waiting for the 1st to arrive for nearly two weeks :D

Hopefully it'll be worth it once it gets here! :)

I think they are really lovely books. The only thing is that they can get a bit 'samey' so I always leave a long gap between each book in the series.

(Actually, I couldn't find my copy of Morality for Beautiful Girls - although I know it is in the house somewhere - so I ended up reading Windows on the World, by Frederic Beigbeder instead).

Oh this is on my summer TBR list! I think your enthusiasm just moved it up the list by a few places :)

I hope you enjoy it Nicola:) I know quite a few people who have read it, and I haven't heard a bad word about it yet!

I've just finished Ferney, by James Long, which was not bad but ultimately left me feeling underwhelmed. About to start Un Lun Dun, by China Mieveille.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Un Lun Dun, by China Mieville. I really enjoyed it, although it took me a long while to read (not because it was a difficult read though - I had a run of a few very busy days). An enjoyable book, and one I would recommend if you want a good, fun read.

Going to start Chocolat by Joanne Harris next, as I feel that I am the only person in the world who has not read this book!!