Ruth's 2009 reading

Ruth

You know, I didn't spot that:smile2: But I can definitely see the comparison...I really liked it.

I have just finished Chocolat, by Joanne Harris, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I really want to read the sequel now!

Having now found my copy of Morality for Beautiful Girls, by Alexander McCall Smith, I am going to start reading this next!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Morality for Beautiful Girls, which is the third book in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I really enjoy these books, and this one was no disappointment.

Now reading Iris and Ruby, by Rosie Thomas.

Well, I have just finished Iris and Ruby, by Rosie Thomas, and thought it was fantastic (rated it 5 out of 5). Particularly loved how vividly Cairo was brought to life.

About to start A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess. I have read it before, but not for about 20 years, so I think it is due a re-read!

No. I started to watch it years ago, but it was an old pirate video (:D) because it was before it was made available again. The quality was so bad that I gave up on it. I wouldn't mind seeing it though - is it pretty faithful to the book?

It is, as I recall, very faithful to the book...until the end. When the book was originally published in America, the final chapter was left out, thus altering the whole story. When Stanley Kubrick made the film, he didn't at first know about the 'real' ending. At some point he found out but decided to stick with the American version so it ends quite differently to the book. I've never made up my mind which ending I prefer. It's kind of nice having it both ways I guess. :D

I knew about the last chapter being left out of the US version, but I didn't realise that Stanley Kubrick had made the film according to the version with the omitted chapter - you have raised my interest, and I might have to look out for this film while I am shopping tomorrow!:D

I loved it - I've posted a review in the Fiction section, but in short, I can highly recommend this:)

Yep I noticed your review and I posted on the thread as well, but again, thank you for the review! :lol:

(I must ask, I think it was you who had read The Art of Racing in the Rain? Three Bags Full is the second book I know you've read which has a different kind of perspective to it - both have animals as protagonists. Are you particularly interested in animals or animals as protagonists or just a different kind of protagonists? I hope you understand what I mean by the question, I don't know how to phrase it better :blush:)

Hi - thanks for your comments. I do love animals, but it's not a genre that interests me above others (probably my favourite reading genre of all is dystopia). You're right - it was me who read The Art of Racing in the Rain, and posted a review. I think I do like to read about animal's interpretations of human activity, normally because it's quite amusing, but really I'll give anything a try and it just happens that I've read two excellent novels, both from the viewpoint of animals:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished Affinity by Sarah Waters - the third book of hers I have read. I enjoyed it hugely and would highly recommend it.

About to start Biron's Mercy by Ben Gibbins, for the BCF review blog.

I'm glad you've enjoyed Sarah Waters's books so much :D I've read Fingersmith myself and it blew me away, there was that huge twist that I never saw coming! I've yet to read Tipping the Velvet and Affinity (as well as Nightwatch and the new book by her), can't wait to read them at some point ;)

She is fast becoming one of my favourite authors! Her books are so well written, and she never fails to surprise me!:friends0:

Finished Biron's Mercy, by Ben Gibbins; I wish I had enjoyed it more, but I've tried to be fair on the blog.

Next up is Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibbons.

Oh I have that on my very large wishlist..interested in how you find it! :D

I enjoyed it very much! I also think it is the sort of book that would benefit from repeated readings. Very highly recommended:)

Just about to start The White Family, by Maggie Gee.

Finished reading Absolute Beginners, by Colin MacInnes. It was quite interesting, and one I first read about 20 years ago (I preferred it this time around)!

About to start Keeping Secrets, by Andrew Rosenheim.