Lying about what you read

robson65

I'm not at all surprised by this. By nature of being on this forum I love reading, and read alot. And I love the fact that others have read things I haven't, it means new ideas for books to read!

However, when I talk about books with some of my book loving colleagues, others do look worried that they haven't read much, and I am sure many of them lie about what they have read, espcially if they realise up fornt that you havent' read it either. It's the book equivalent of keeping up with the Jones.

:)

By the way, not only have I read Emma and A Brief History Of Time, but last night I read War and Peace twice, once in English, once in Russian. ;-)

I don't lie about what I read.

I read Twilight.

There, I said it.

And guess what.

I loved it.

=P

No but really. I never lie about what I'm reading, I don't see the need. I read kids books and science fiction and epic fantasy adventures and dummies guides to physics. I love everything, and have never even thought about not saying what I read. I don't really understand why anyone would =/

No but really. I never lie about what I'm reading, I don't see the need. I read kids books and science fiction and epic fantasy adventures and dummies guides to physics. I love everything, and have never even thought about not saying what I read. I don't really understand why anyone would =/

Ok, I have to retract my previous statement then... :) I would never lie about books I havent read but in some cases, I might not be keen to admit to reading some stuff *laughs* Like at one point, not so long ago actually, I was obsessed by Harry Potter fanfiction. Now, I dont know whether I'd lie outright about it as it never came up, but I'd certainly try to minimise it :D

... Should I have stayed quiet here too? *goes off to hide under the carpet*

I just went to hunt down your other post Chimera - I think you have a point about boasting about what one is reading - I know people who've claimed to read and love Shakespeare when its highly unlikely that they do.

I think it would be more likely people would exaggerate the quality of what they read, rather than talk it down or hide it. So I think you have a point :)

Edited by Nollaig
grammar error DX

I have to disagree with this, too. Despite the fact that everyone in the English-speaking world is forced to read Shakespeare in school, I have enjoyed reading many of his plays on my own. There never a "right" way to enjoy anything, whether it's drama or music. And my brother would disagree with you on the Tchaikovsky...he would devour those scores. :)

I totally agree. I love reading scores. You can get loads out of them, although it works best when you heard it played at some point during, before or after reading too. I think the same applies with Shakespeare. The texts and the plays have plenty to say either by themselves or in tandem.

I never lie about what I've read (a) because I try to never lie and :) because I have read many of the classics/famous books anyway :) ). Nevertheless something quite unpleasant happens to me every now and then: I say I've read a book (and I did),and then I discover I don't remember anything at all about it.

Let's take Shakespeare as an example: I have read more than half of his works, famous and non-famous alike, so should anyone ask, I can say in all honesty that I did. Were anyone to ask me about them it would be a whole other issue -- I don't even remember the names of some of the works not to mention anything about characters and/or what happens there :D:)

Luckily about a year and a half ago I have started a book blog and I started taking notes about books. Meaning I'll never forget characters/events ever again :D :D (hopefully, of course)

Haha awh. I studied Julius Caesar when I was 15 and Hamlet when I was 18, so I remember those well.

In the last three years I've studied King Lear, The Tempest, The Winter's Tale, Twelfth Night, Measure For Measure, Othello, Hamlet AGAIN and The Merchant of Venice.

So I can't tell them apart, despite having done essays and exams on them.

:)

I think that unfortunately people do lie about the books they have read. I had one English professor who actually encouraged this explicitly. She said that there are certain books which no English major should admit not having read before, if only to save face. In my humble opinion, that practice creates pompous liars though. :D

On a separate note, there's a scene in David Lodge's Changing Places where one of the main characters starts a game called Humiliation. In this game, players take turns naming a book they have NOT read, but which they think almost everyone else in the group HAS read. Points are scored for each person who has read the book. The winner, therefore, is the person who admits never having read the most popular/canonical book. What a nice change of pace from the attitude of my English professor!

I don't lie about what I read.

I read Twilight.

There, I said it.

And guess what.

I loved it.

=P

Ditto, I love to read a wide variety of books and I don't have many friends irl that read anyway, so they wouldn't have a clue about what a book is like from its title, but I can't really imagine why you'd be too embarrased to admit to it

And yet there are many who would think us sad for having our heads in books rather than the real world =P

Trust me ... if you visited the inside of my head, you'd much rather have your mind in another realm! Its scary stuff!! :D

Edited by Charm

HAHA I'd say exactly the same about my head.

I quote a great singing comedian when I say:

This is my brain, and I live in it.

Its made of love and bad song lyrics.

Its tucked away behind my eyes,

Where all my ****ed up thoughts can hide,

Coz God forbid I hurt somebody.

And the weirdest thing about a mind,

Is that every answer that you find,

Is the basis of a brand new cliche...

This is my brain, and its fine.

Its where I spend the vast majority of my time, its,

Not perfect, but its mine.

^______^

Cookies to anyone who know who the singer is.

Edited by Michelle

At the end of the day, i think it makes sense that not everyone enjoys exactly the same books. That's the beauty of being different. If everyone is different, then everyone has something different to offer. In conversations like this for example, and, if people all liked the same type of books, or only read the type of books considered good by everyone else, then all the writters of the future would all write the same type of stuff! After all no one can write about something, unless they know about it, and the best way to learn something is to read about it!