Lying about what you read

robson65

I'm surprised at that finding. The number of people I speak to who think it is weird to read amazes me. That is not just teenagers either but across the age spectrum.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time in lying. If I haven't read something it is an opportunity to read it and I don't mind admitting I haven't read something.

I'm surprised at that finding. The number of people I speak to who think it is weird to read amazes me. That is not just teenagers either but across the age spectrum.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time in lying. If I haven't read something it is an opportunity to read it and I don't mind admitting I haven't read something.

^^ +1

Why wold you read Shakespeare? Shakespeare's all about the plays, and the acting. Reading Shakespeare would be a bit like saying you liek Tchaikovsky despite only looking at the scores and not actually hearing the music.

Sorry I have to disagree with ya there :D. Music is meant to be listened to, whereas words can be read as well as listened to. All you need is a good imagination to read something and picture the scene. Surely you can see that? :)

I did used to get teased about the amount of reading i did at school, when everyone needed to grow up. The world doesn't fit into a box where someone's ideas are considered 'normal'. Whatever normal is. I have books i love and i know they differ from what others love. Reading becomes pointless if we all have to conform to what others think about it. So no i never pretended i'm interested in something i'm not. But at the same time i love to hear other peoples interests even if they are not mine because their thoughts interest me. I'd hate to think someone was pretending to like something or read something just to tickle my ears.

:rant:Ok........it seems i've really gotton into this subject! :)

I'd hate to think someone was pretending to like something or read something just to tickle my ears.

There's a chap here who says he like's reading, but I'm not sure, I think he may have an ulterior motive . . . (scroll down!).

_41500270_mrtickle.jpg

What rot!

By the way, have I told you that I've just started A Brief History of Time and Emma?

:)

I would never lie about what I've read. I'm proud of what I've read and don't understand why others would lie. They'll get caught out eventually and just look silly!

Why wold you read Shakespeare? Shakespeare's all about the plays, and the acting. Reading Shakespeare would be a bit like saying you liek Tchaikovsky despite only looking at the scores and not actually hearing the music.

I have to disagree with this, too. Despite the fact that everyone in the English-speaking world is forced to read Shakespeare in school, I have enjoyed reading many of his plays on my own. There never a "right" way to enjoy anything, whether it's drama or music. And my brother would disagree with you on the Tchaikovsky...he would devour those scores. :)

And my brother would disagree with you on the Tchaikovsky...he would devour those scores. :)

I agree. There are plenty of people who enjoy this side of music and get aborbed in them. It just depends who you are. Some people like to buy books that contain the script from a film or series, and thats fine. No one ever said 'they should only watch the film or whats the point?' For people with an interest in perhaps writting plays themselves, reading Shakespere is invaluable.

I find that amazing too because most of my friends are proud that they don't read. I would not lie about reading either because I've read and am still reading enough books to impress someone anyway.

:) Are you sure you weren't looking at my TBR list? Because that list makes up a good percentage of my entire collection, and unfortunately a lot of my more 'impressive' books are on that TBR pile (or on my wish list).

I tend to find that people are impressed by what I read anyway, but that's not difficult to do when you consider that they're people who rarely/never read so anything is likely to impress them :D

:D Are you sure you weren't looking at my TBR list? Because that list makes up a good percentage of my entire collection, and unfortunately a lot of my more 'impressive' books are on that TBR pile (or on my wish list).

I tend to find that people are impressed by what I read anyway, but that's not difficult to do when you consider that they're people who rarely/never read so anything is likely to impress them :)

Well, I read and I'm impressed! And I was definitely looking at your read list. The number of books you went through in september and october... :) I wish I read at that rate. Though I would never lie about it. What would the point be?

I'm not that surprised with these findings though... A lot of people will say lie about many small things to impress in some circumstances... Maybe they are even the same who boast about not reading to their friends, who go on to boast about shakespeare in a job interview or a date *laughs*

I have to disagree with this, too. Despite the fact that everyone in the English-speaking world is forced to read Shakespeare in school, I have enjoyed reading many of his plays on my own. There never a "right" way to enjoy anything, whether it's drama or music. And my brother would disagree with you on the Tchaikovsky...he would devour those scores. :)

Yes, I think that's right. Although I personally hated reading Shakespeare at school, but do love to see the plays on stage (certain ones anyway).

As for lying about what I read - I don't! I'm not surprised that people do, but I don't see the point myself.