Searching for books in the local Library is there a method?

When I visit my local Library I start by going to the quick choice section followed by the New book section. If I choose from here I will then browse the shelves in alphabetical order and see if any tickle my fancy. If I am in the mood for a Sci Fi or other genre I will go straight there. Every visit has that fresh excitement as to what I fill find, read and enjoy.

How do you approach your local library when looking for books?

CJ

Ooooh very interesting thread topic! I usually get quite overwhelmed by the choice of books in the library. I never know where to begin or how to choose. So I usually try to come in with a list of books I'm interested in (which has been very easy since I joined this forum *laughs*), then I might go and look at authors which I know I like and try to just browse random books... But choice has always been difficult for me, so choosing between hundreds of random books is near impossible *cracks up*

Does anyone have a great technique which might save me some time and indecision?

Edited by Chimera
Correcting yet another typo...

As I work in a library I can enjoy having a constant and random selection brought to the counter all day long - bliss. For our readers we find that our Top Notch table (selected books usually 10 of each complete with blurb), our new books shelf and the returned books shelf offer people a good random choice if they've nothing immediately in mind.

Well another one of my techniques invloves my Girlfriend or parents.

If I am bed bound in Hospital having treatment or after another op I ask for them to bring me some books from the Library The excitment when they arrive is like nothing on earth. It is not only the expectation of what I will get but the experience of reading something I would not have chosen myself.

Does anyone have a great technique which might save me some time and indecision?

I've had someone stand right behind me and go in announcement-like voice "bling, the store is closing, please leave immediately. Pling, only purchase the books your currently holding and leave. Blim, we're closing, go away. The store is closing, please only buy the books you're holding.." the entire time we were at a bookstore. It worked. I nearly risked ruining one of my favourite pair of shoes by kicking said person, but it worked.

If I know what books I want, I reserve them online, then just pop in to pick them up. If I want something but have no idea what, I start with the returns shelf, I almost always find something there. :woohoo:

I love my local library. I am always telling anyone who will listen, what a great service the library offers:). I often use the on line service to search for books and to request books from other libraries, which always arrive within a few days. My favourite way thugh is to go in and just browse the shelves trying to decide how many more books i can read at once lol.

Usually I'll go first for the new titles section, then straight to returns and then to the English lit section. If I'm still empty handed after this, I'll go to the computers and search for some titles that pop into mind. If these titles are not available and I have the time I'll start going through the fiction section from A to

Hardback books are easy to find in our library because they are shelved alphabetically by author, and non-fiction books are easy to find too, but paperbacks are all over the place and not in much of an order. If I had the time then i would love to browse and find new books to read, but with the children I am always hurrying around so i usually search on the internet for specific books I want, or using key words, and then go and have a look. If I browse the library it is only a quick look to see if my eye meets something interesting, or I might go to a particular section to find something I fancy reading.

To be honest I spend most of my time in the children's library letting the girls choose books. I enjoy watching Katie learn how the library works.:)

I usually go in with a list that can be sourced from forums (such as this one) or from friends, reviews ect, but after picking up one book, I always make myself take the long way along each of the sections before picking up the next one to try and insert some 'organic' book searching into the process.

GWA.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

My method? All of the above.

I keep a pocket notebook listing the books I want to check out from the library and take it with me each time I go.

I use the online reserve/hold service for specific books I'm interested in. (My library's service is great. They took a reservation for King's Just After Sunset 3-4 months prior to the publishing date. I just picked it up this week.)

And of course I browse the stacks just for fun. I've found some of the most enjoyable books of my reading career that way. I always look in the New Books section first, however.

Cheers,

dan :D