Echo's Reading Lists 2008-2009

Echo

I've tried keeping this list before, with mixed results. So here is my latest attempt to keep track of the books I've read. I'll start with this past August, and keep adding to it.

August 2008

The Face of Death by Cody McFadyen

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

September 2008

The Philosophical Dictionary by Voltaire

Faust by Goethe

October 2008

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist (re-read)

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

The History of Mary Prince by Mary Prince

November 2008

Germinal by Emile Zola

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)

Among the Bohemians by Virginia Nicholson (gave up...interesting, though)

December 2008

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (re-read)

Nocturnes by John Connolly

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (gave up)

Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)

January 2009

1984 by George Orwell (gave up...for now)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

February 2009

Poisoned Love by Melanie Cane

A Ghost in the Machine by Caroline Graham (gave up...too irritating)

March 2009

Watership Down by Richard Adams (gave up...for now)

April 2009

What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula

May 2009

Shinto: The Kami Way by Dr. Sokyo Ono

Escape From Hell by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

The Hours by Michael Cunningham

June 2009

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

July 2009

Rock Bottom by Michael Shilling

August 2009

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (re-read)

Chosen to Die by Lisa Jackson

The Bohemians of the Latin Quarter by Henry Murger (currently reading)

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky (currently reading)

September 2009

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami (currently reading)

Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti

Edited by Echo
updated

Also, here is my TBR list, at least for things I plan to read in the very near future:

Paganism by Joyce and River Higginbotham

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens

Hard Times by Charles Dickens

Le Mort d'Arthur by Thomas Malory

Les Liasons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie

The Hours by Michael Cunningham

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

1984 by George Orwell

Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

I'm noticing how many French classics I'm planning to read. I wonder why? :lol:

Edited by Echo
added books

I just received part of an Amazon order which contained The Hours by Michael Cunningham, and Among the Bohemians by Virginia Nicholson, who is Vanessa Bell's granddaughter and Virginia Woolf's grand-niece. I've started reading it, and it's great so far! I've updated my two lists. Now I'm back to reading three books. :):D

Now I'm back to reading three books. :17::)

Juggling 3 books at the same time ?? That's something I've never been able to do as I need to really get into the story I'm reading and I would necessarily leave behind 2 of them *laughs*

I guess it has its advantages though, being able to switch when you'r tired of one. :D

And your choice of french classics is certainly interesting! :)

I think I inherited the 3 books gene from my dad. He always has a stacks of books on his night table, and since he's a lawyer, he's constantly read stacks and stacks of papers at work. He's definitely a bookworm!

I have no idea why I have so many French classics on my list. Hopefully they're good! :D

Also, here is my TBR list, at least for things I plan to read in the very near future:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (re-read)

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Le Mort d'Arthur by Thomas Malory

Ohh, I love Jane Eyre! Unfortunately it's the only Bronte book I've read. I really need to re-read it as well, since last time I read it fully I was thirteen. When was the last time for you?

I read Les Miserables and A Tale of Two Cities my sophomore and senior year of high school, respectively. Have you not had the chance to go through them fully yet, Echo?

Do you like British classic literature mostly?

I was embarrassed the beginning of my sophomore year when my wonderful, brilliant English teacher Mrs. Frisk said something like, "I know you were in a different high school last year; have you read Les Mis?" and I said, "Oh, yes, I just started it two weeks ago and finished it a couple of days ago." Ahh, the dramatic look on her face, that tinge of pity that I was going to have to go through it analytically rather than just for fun! Heehee!

I re-read Jane Eyre probably 2 or 3 years ago. I have to re-read it again for a class. If you like Charlotte Bronte, I would recommend Shirley which is my favorite of all her books.

I'll probably read Les Miserables and A Tale of Two Cities sometime next year. I'm so bogged down with school and stuff and I don't have a lot of time for fun reading.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Jane Eyre the other day (you can check my book blog for my review) and I really enjoyed it...again! It was a pleasure to "have" to read this for school! I'm now on the final book of The Lord of the Rings, and I'm still reading Among the Bohemians, and I just started Nocturnes by John Connolly. So...still juggling three books!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my re-read of my all-time favorite book, The Lord of the Rings and I of course really enjoyed it. I always notice something new whenever I read it. I then began Tolkien's Unfinished Tales which has some of his greatest stories in more complete forms.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to get through Among the Bohemians and Far from the Madding Crowd, but since the holidays and my finals, I seem to have lost my reading mojo!

To kick start my reading mojo, I started 1984 by George Orwell today. I thought that since it's not really a classic, like the Hardy book, and it's not a non-fiction, like the other book I'm reading, I should be able to get on quite well. We'll see!

• 5 weeks later...

I've taken a break from 1984, and in the meantime, I've read Coraline by Neil Gaiman, and I'm halfway through Stardust. I loved Coraline, and I'm really enjoying Stardust, and I should have it finished in the next week or so. I can only read in bits and pieces because of school, but I'm going to make time to finish the book.

I borrowed it from my brother (and have yet to return it). He and I have very similar tastes in books, and I had encouraged him to read The Book of Lost Things, and he later read this and loved it. All the stories are great, so there's really no way to have a favorite!!

• 3 weeks later...

I received a great review book the other day, Poisoned Love by Melanie Cane, a psychiatrist. It's her personal memoir of when she had a nervous breakdown and poisoned her former lover. It's very good so far...not the best book ever written (it's obviously a first-time writer) but I'm enjoying it. I'm already halfway through!

1984 is pretty good, I would definitely recommend it.

I finished Poisoned Love (great) and Stardust (fantastic), so before I start anything new, I'm going to concentrate on finishing 1984.