Echo's Reading Lists 2008-2009

Echo

Yeah it really is, I have been meaning to read the book!

So have I since I saw it

Agreed, even my BF who is really fussy with films loves it, so it must be good! :D

It's pretty much the only film me and the boyfriend agree on

Edited by Echo
merged :-)

I started A Ghost in the Machine by Caroline Graham (an Inspector Barnaby mystery) last night, but fell asleep after only a few pages. No reflection on the book, though...I was just really tired. :D

Falling asleep reading a book always makes me feel kind of happy because I would obviously be so comfy and content. But then it would make me annoyed that I'd fallen asleep. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to give up on all my books except for A Ghost in the Machine, which is finally getting good. 200 pages in, and there's finally a murder and we see Barnaby for the first time. *sigh*

Once I finish that, I'll probably move onto something totally new, and get back to the other ones I was reading at a later time.

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been a long time since I'd updated this! Well, my reading mojo is coming back bit by bit. I'm on this Asian kick right now, so I'm reading two books about different Asian philosophies/religions. One book is about Buddhism and one is about Shintoism. I'm really liking the Shinto book.

I'm also reading a book called Escape from Hell, which my older brother loaned to me. Since he's started reading, he and I have realized that we like a lot of the same books. The book is pretty good so far, but it's on the back burner until I finish the Shinto book, which I hope to do this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the Shinto book, and it was really great. I decided after that to take a quick break from non-fiction, so I started reading The Hours by Michael Cunningham. It's been on my TBR list for a long time and I love the movie. So far the book is fantastic. I'm hoping to finish it today.

• 4 weeks later...

My reading mojo has really returned. Already this month, I've read two Neil Gaiman books that I had never yet read: American Gods and Anansi Boys. I really, really liked both of them. I'm now reading Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees. It's a fantasy book written about 100 years ago that mostp peopld don't know about. It's really fantastic so far, and I'll probably finish it over the weekend.

YAY! for the ex-renegade mojo!

I really need to get me a copy of "American Gods" I think; I've already loved "Anansi Boys" (and "Neverwhere", "Stardust", what volumes I've read of "The Sandman", as well as the Pratchett collaboration "Good Omens") and "American Gods" seems to polarise a lot - everyone I know who's read it either adored it or considered it pretentious so I want to join the debate!!

I have "Lud-in-the-Mist" on my TBR too; your recommendation (and Neil's!) might just make it go bumpity-bump...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about halfway through Alice in Wonderland, and after I finish it, I will finish Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier. It's the first book in a 3-part series called Sevenwaters, and one of my very good friends recommended it to me last year. :friends0:

No, this will be the first book of hers I've read. My friend just raved about it, and when I told her recently that I had bought it a while ago, she asked me what I thought of it....I had to confess that I hadn't actually read it yet!

• 1 month later...

I re-read The Bell Jar for the upteenth time (took about a day...I love that book!) and read Chosen to Die by Lisa Jackson, which was a review book. It was a nice change of pace for me, as I hadn't read a regular old thriller in a while.

Now I'm on to The Bohemians of the Latin Quarter by Henry Murger (also known as Scenes de la Vie Boheme). This is the book on which the opera La Boheme is based. So far it's really funny and entertaining, so I hope to have it finished this week.