Open fires and the Y chromosome.

Maureen

My other half does cook occasionaly. I might add that he is quite good at it too. (Tash, behave!!) But he cooks, either because I am doing something else, or because I ask him to (very nicely :-)) He rarely does it on his own initiative. Most of my mates' guys are the same. But, whenever the word BBQ is uttered....the males feel it is their domain. Today we went to a BBQ, and we were about 12 couples or so. Not even one female flipped a single burger, or piece of cuberoll. We did not even get to place a single sausage on the BBQ grill. Oh no! We sat down and drank the wine. The thing is the males would never in our wildest dreams do the same thing, had we met in someone's house and were sitting at the kitchen table, without any prodding from our part. So what is it about BBQs and the Y chromosomes?

I think it's because it harks back to that primative time when the males generlaly went "Ug! Man Make Fire! Um! Man Clever big-shot! Ug! Man Burn Meat!"

I think it makes them feel manly to prod at fires with big sticks & to charcoal random bits of dead animals outside, in a way that kitchen-cooking never does.

They do Andy,my dh does most of the cooking,and strangely,I always lose weight when he go's away!

What annoys me though is when we entertain, although they know clive cooked the meal our guests still thank me when they leave. :D

John is the original neanderthal man when it comes to a BBQ. He takes total charge! I've learnt to let him get on with it, whilst I sip the wine!!! :D

He does love cooking in general though and tends to be creative and inventive. We do share the cooking taking it in turns

• 1 year later...
I think it's because it harks back to that primitive time when the males generally went "Ug! Man Make Fire! Um! Man Clever big-shot! Ug! Man Burn Meat!"

I think it makes them feel manly to prod at fires with big sticks & to charcoal random bits of dead animals outside, in a way that kitchen-cooking never does.

Well ... yeah.

geez.

I'm all for this men that BBQ thing - my OH loves BBQ-ing I get a tad bored with cooking everynight and welcome the chance to let him get on with it. My OH is quite good at BBq-ing but recently we did one for my mum and dad - of course that had to be the one that created loads of smoke (cheap sausages!) and set my dad off talking about smog and asking him why he didn't cook everything in the oven first. I think that day my OH exercised a lot of patience:lol:

I had a BBQ for one of the England matches last year and i was quite happily doing the cooking when the men turned up, pushed me aside and promptly burnt all the food :D , they then blamed it on me saying that i liked my bacon crispy!

• 3 years later...

You know what? It doesn't just apply to BBQs - LOL! My sister recently moved into a house that has an open fireplace in the livingroom and likes to have a nice, roaring fire, but can she keep one lit? Nope! Her boyfriend will light it and keep it going for her, but once he goes home, despite following his instructions to the letter, she manages to kill the fire every time. I, on the other hand, must be a bit of a guy at heart, because I can rescue said dead fire within a minute - LOL!

This is probably the email Inanna was thinking of :cool:

When a man volunteers to do the BBQ the following chain of events are put

into motion:

Routine...

(1) The woman buys the food.

(2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.

(3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with

the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is

lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

Here comes the important part:

(4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine....

(5) The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.

(6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks

her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the

situation.

Important again:

(7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine....

(8) The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces,

and brings them to the table.

(9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:

(10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking

efforts.

• 3 weeks later...