Dr Who

Michelle

What a complete load of utter cobblers! That was one of the worst (if not the worst) episode of "New Who" I've ever seen.

The Daleks are probably my fave villains, but I agree with those who said they've been over-used lately. Their menace is kind of diluted the more we see them. Just bring them out for special occasions!

The storyline was dull, dull, dull.

Why did nobody even bat an eyelid at Amy's dress? I'm sure wearing a skirt that short in the 1940s would have caused a few double-takes at least, regardless of them being slightly busy fighting a war.

And what was all that with the Doctor having a jolly good think about whether to sacrifice the Earth or get rid of the Daleks? I thought he was supposed to be the Earth's defender, so thanks a bunch mate for considering letting the whole planet perish. :D Especially as, if my memory serves me correctly, (which it probably doesn't), the previous Doctor had a right old go at his clone for supposedly committing genocide when he destroyed the Daleks. So his views on genocide then don't tally with his views now. He may have a different appearance now, but he is meant to be the same person, isn't he?

Space spitfires - ridiculous.

The Jammy Dodger malarkey - don't even get me started.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't like the episode either, thought it was dull and boring, like most of you guys have already mentioned. Didn't like the Daleks in this episode, they should just be used in special occasions, like Mia said, and that way it'd be more interesting when they made an appearance. Although, it might just be my rubbish sense of humour, but I enjoyed the whole 'ooh-look-I-have-a-TARDIS-selfdestruct-thingy-that's-really-a-jammy-dodger' idea. :D That said as well, I'm also starting to get used to Matt Smith a bit more.

As bored as I get of the Daleks I think that maybe they're just trying to get them back so they can be used properly in another story. For the Doctor's supposed nemesis to be resurrected, fought and defeated in one episode is never going to be that good so I think this episode was just an excuse to get them back and send them off so they can come back in a (hopefully) better story later on.

So far this Doctor just hasn't worked for me, I have been watching the Doctor since the Pertwee years, even through the dark days of Colin Baker, so I have seen ups and downs, but there is just something not right with this new series so far. Maybe I have finally outgrown the Doctor :motz: . As for the new Daleks I found that the new colours of the Daleks reminiscent of the Peter Cushing film Daleks invasion of Earth 2150.

I found this if anyone is interested in a Dr Who game.

Edited by Vladd

Well it's one redeeming feature was that a certain Mr Tennant was in it :motz:

I liked Gridlock too! And I agree, any episode with David Tennant is going to be superior to this series, just because he's in it. So there! :motz:

Can I risk a real slating and suggest that Matt Smith is the best Doctor since the series returned? He seems to have exactly the right character - a mix between Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker.

Well, he's doing OK, but I would still say Eccleston was the best Doctor since the series returned. He had the perfect mix of quirkiness, seriousness, humour and, well, just everything. He had charm and intellect and I'll admit I fell a little in love with him. He had a great chemistry with both Billie Piper AND John Barrowman and he made it very exciting as well as keeping it down-to-earth.

David Tennant was good too, but he took longer to grow on me (CE had me from the first episode!). He seemed to "mug" a bit too much and was a little more OTT in the role, but still good. He still had the charm and the rapport with the others too.

Matt seems to me to be a little more OTT that even DT was and I hope he tones it down bit as he gets settled into the role. If he does, then I shal enjoy it immensely. If he doesn't, I could well end up getting completely sick of him very quickly.

well, you can say what you like about Russell T Davis, but he knew how to produce.

I think the production/direction for 11 is the real problem. The episodes are strangely paced making it really difficult to get into.

The other thing I have a massive problem with was Matt's acting in relation to the Daleks. bear in mind this is his deadliest foe, but when Tennant or Ecclestone came up against them, there was a wonderful mixture of hatred, anger, disgust and absolute fear. I just didnt get that strength of emotion from Matt. It was all a bit 2 dimensional for me.

But my one true problem with 11 is that I feel completely indifferent to him and Amy.

Being a major 10 fan, i knew I wouldnt take to 11t immediately, but I was really looking forward to the new series. I was prepared to hate 11 initially, or love him, but I'm just not feeling anything, which is really worrying.

The success of any Doctor isnt just about who portrays him, but also about the whole production team. The writers write differently depending on who is The Doctor. if they dont give the right material to the right man, it will fall flat.

Quite a bit to catch up on!

Like others, I thought the episode was a bit flat and disappointing on first viewing, but I watched it again last night and when you know what is coming it does seem to hang together a bit better.

I think there are several things here that are adding up to detract from the story as a whole.

Firstly, outstanding as his performances were in the first two episodes, Matt Smith is still a new Doctor, and the writers - no matter how skilled they are - will have been writing him blind (they wouldn't have seen Matt Smith on the screen to know how he acts and behaves, so they were probably writing more from a show bible than from having seen him perform). In the last two stories there will have been consistency in his character because they were both written by the same author; Gatiss is the first new voice for this Doctor and I think you can see that in the subtle differences in how his character behaves.

Secondly, what ever else it is, Victory is clearly a reboot story for the Daleks, sweeping away the RTD legacy and all the Time War angst to bring in a new set of Daleks for a new era in the show. To a greater of lesser extent, reboots always have their hands tied and 45 minutes isn’t a lot to work with if you have a shopping list of things that must happen. I think this story may have worked better as a two-parter, with an expanded story to flesh out the detail of what was going on.

Third, we've only seen the new iDaleks in one studio bound set, I strongly suspect that they will be a lot different when we next see them and that they will be a lot more impressive and intimidating. Have a few CGI versions whizzing around, against a large vista and I suspect they will look awesome! (remember, each Dalek had a different role so it’s likely that we will be seeing them in groups of the same colour, rather than assorted like Smarties!). I'm sad to see the old Daleks go, but I'm interested to see what they will do with the new Dalek hierarchy (and I'm pretty sure we are going to see them again this season, I can't see them retro-fitting the Daleks like this for just the one episode!).

I'm not completely sold on this series just yet, but I am sold on Matt Smith. I think that if the writing is right he will shine, and as the show goes on, and the new production team find their feet, and the writers get used to Smith, I think things will only get better (as they did with both Eccleston and Tennant).

And what's with the brightly coloured Daleks? Cheery colours do not a scary alien make!

Moffat seems to be taking his visual inspiration for this series from the Peter Cushing films - the TARDIS certainly reflects that, and so do these new Daleks. I'm also wondering if they have made them colourful to make them more striking in HD.

What a complete load of utter cobblers! That was one of the worst (if not the worst) episode of "New Who" I've ever seen.

Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no! You obviously haven't sat though Fear Her or the Dalek's in Manhattan two-parter recently!

And what was all that with the Doctor having a jolly good think about whether to sacrifice the Earth or get rid of the Daleks?

He does have a spot of personal history with the Dalek's remember, if nothing else they paid no small part in the destruction of his home planet so the chance to get rid of them forever is still going to be tempting even when weighed against the Earth.

And why is the companion coming over more competant than the Dr

I don't think she did, she just has a better grasp of human emotions that the Doctor and knew that love and not pain was a more powerful emotion. She’s no worse in that respect than any of the other new series companions have been.

Edited by Raven
Formatting errors

Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no! You obviously haven't sat though Fear Her or the Dalek's in Manhattan two-parter recently!

Why does everyone seem to hate Fear Her? I really liked it, but I will agree with you about Daleks in Manhattan! Terrible dialogue and story wise it was just very poor.

I don't know, I'm just not getting into this series at all... :D

I loved Blink - one of my favourite episodes ever (and David Tennant was hardly in it, so the fact I liked it shows how good it was!). I was a bit ambivalent about whether I wanted the angels to return, or whether it was best left as a perfect memory. Although some parts of this episode were quite good, I found myself bored in others. Perhaps the tension would have been cranked up more if it had been done in one episode, like the original, rather than in a sprawling two-parter.

This is probably a daft question, but if the angels can't move when you're looking at them, why don't the people just move them so that they're facing each other, like what happened at the end of Blink? Has that been conveniently forgotten? And why the new thing about not looking the angels in the eyes? That wasn't mentioned before.

I just feel no emotional connection with this series so far, and that is down to Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor. I just can't stand him, and he's not growing on me.

Mia, I tend to agree. I did find the old angels we saw today quite creepy, but it's certainly all seeming quite complicated now. I'm not getting Matt Smith's doctor, and I'm finding Amy a bit annoying. Even River annoyed me, and I liked her in the library two-parter.

Thank goodness I have some old episodes I can go back and watch! :D