Your favorite book

Kenny

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I swither between two. I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb and Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

I think I'd go for GWTW as the Lamb book has a bit of a Hollywood ending. It's tied up too neatly and I prefer ambiguous endings. However, I was drawn to it because of its subject matter - mental illness and the search for one's blood family, both subjects close to my heart.

But GWTW just gets the no.1 spot for its ambiguous ending. Let's not mention those awful sequels... ;)

Have a few probably and after each really good read I think....'yeh that is one of my favourites now', but can't say I have one particular favourite. Something I read years ago and then maybe try and read now, I would not necessarily like now, as I find my taste in books has changed slightly.

For a long while it was 'The Shell Seekers' - Rosamunde Pilcher. I really enjoyed it first time round, and have probably read it twice since then, so does that count.

Chocolat - Joanne Harris is another firm favourite though.

Top 5 favorites would probably be:

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Shirley by Charlotte Bronte

Bohemian Manifesto by Laren Stover

The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

That's generaly because we all have favorite books writen in our profile, but this is good to.

Mine would be The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, if I had to pick just one of those I would go with the last one "Ptolemy's Gate".

like some of you, i think it's impossible to name one book above others

even to name a collection would be difficult as it changes with the more books i read

for now, some of my favorites:-

the brothers karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky

dangerous liaisons - Choderlos De Laclos

on the road - Jack Kerouac

the fountainhead - Ayn Rand

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

There are several other books I've given 10/10 to, and I count them all as my favourites, but the two above stand just a little bit higher in my regard. ;)

Perhaps Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, or The Wrong Boy by Willy Russell.

It would probably in reality be a Pratchett book, but how can I choose just one?!

I'm hard pushed to pick a single favourite, but there are several that I return to time and time again:

- The Stand by Stephen King (uncut edition)

- The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis (with the exception of the 3rd book, A Horse and His Boy)

- Ronie, The Robber's Daghter by Astrid Lindgren

THere are others I reread too, such as most of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

Normally I'm really bad at choosing just one thing - partly because my tastes change - but one book that I read at school at 16 and fell in love with and enjoyed equally so during my 30's is

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

it has everything - beautiful poetic prose while capturing the human condition.

I bet you could if you had a gun to your head :D

;) True - I'd probably change my mind after without telling the gunman though! :D

-Gone with the wind by Margret Mitchell

-The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Prospero (I believe) has GWTW as one of her favourites.