Your favorite book

Kenny

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read it. I've seen bits of the film though! ;)

I read it and didn't realise I hadn't seen the film until I was partway through. Best way round isn't it?

Anyway, you should read it. It's marvellous. Such a shame she never wrote more really (apart from some unpublished scribblings that have now been published)

I don't think anybody could be disappointed with this book

I read it a long time ago...it's sort of early chick lit isn't it

(steps back and ducks...'let me know when it's safe to come out!');)

I must admit that I've always thought of it that way.

*Hides behind Purple Poppy*

I will see if I can get it from the library after June!

My all-time favorite book is I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb- an absolutely fabulous book!!!!!

I completely adore you and want to have your babies. Metaphorically speaking.

After some serious thinking about it I have decided on the following

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

in no particular order

Oh, how could I have forgotten that one? My ex used to dress up as a priest and- nonevermind.

*ahem* I don't want children, by anyone, so let it be known the population of this site is 100% safe from my reproductive organs.

On with the show. I Know This Much is True is about twin brothers, one schizophrenic and locked up in a mental health facility (Thomas) and it's the story of the other (Dominick) looking after him, trying to get to the root of his problems and also tracing their own paternal line.

The book starts with Thomas cutting his own hand off and offering it to a librarian, as the voices in his head keep reminding him of that Bible verse "If thy right hand offendeth thee, cut it off..." (No spoilers there; it's all on the blurb).

It sounds depressing: mental illness and not knowing where you come from genetically but it's very powerfully written and I'd recommend it.

We're all searching for that perfect 10 in a novel and I think this is as near as dammit as I've ever come to finding it. That and GWTW of course. ;)

Here's a link. It's an Oprah book but don't let that put you off. In fact, I've read quite a few of her recommendations and three have made it onto my 'favourite books of all time' list!

It being close to home is one of the reasons I loved it so much. I've never cut my own hand off - nor someone else's - and I'm not a twin, but other things in the book like living with some form of mental illness, broken relationships, not knowing where you came from...all very depressing you'd think, but...maybe it's testament to Lamb's skill as a writer that he makes it uplifting.

(Plus, his other novel, She's Come Undone, was written from the point of view of a woman and...wow. Just wow).

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

That was my favourite for a long long time as a teen - it's a great book

Oh, how could I have forgotten that one? My ex used to dress up as a priest and- nonevermind.

Didn't the TV show put you off him though?

Red Alligator said

I cant pick just one either so here is my top 5, in no particular order:

Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

Enchanted April - Elizabeth Von Arnham

The Unconsoled - Kazuo Ishiguro.

Well you have two of my all time favs on there, Cold comfort farm and Woman in white. Perhaps I should read your other choices...

Pp

Red Alligator said

Well you have two of my all time favs on there, Cold comfort farm and Woman in white. Perhaps I should read your other choices...

Pp

Please do, I would love to hear your thoughts on them especially The Unconsoled. Mainly for the fact that its quite an odd book and its an either love it or hate it type book I think. I think you might enjoy (hopefully) The Enchanted April, its just lovely.