What magazines do you read?

~Andrea~

I have never really been able to find a magazine I like and stick with it. I really don't get on with women's magazines, except to flick through at the hairdresser, although I used to regularly buy Take a Break's fiction feast (mostly because I was submitting stories to it).

I recently picked up The Economist and enjoyed it, seeing as I don't read a newspaper I may well start buying that semi regularly.

And you?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only magazines I buy on a regular basis are Waterstone's Books Quarterly (which technically I don't buy as it's free to their loyalty card holders) and NewBooksMag, which is also quarterly.

I like to pick up the free Somerfield magazine when I can, but the shop I most recently used to get it from became a Tesco so I don't know whether I'll still be able to get hold of it.

I read SFX - a genre mag to do with all things sci-fi and fantasy (books, TV, film etc).

I used to read Woman and Woman's Own but they changed them so that it was mostly celebrity gossip, which I hate and have no interest in whatsoever :D so I stopped getting them a few years ago.

Over the years I have spent a fortune on glossy & gossip magazines but have managed to ween myself off them. What a waste of money! they are mainly adverts and reprints of interviews that were in the others the week/month before. I do still occassionally buy magazines - usually when I like the look of the free gift.

I won a subscription to New Books Magazine from a fantastic website :D which I love and I will continue the subscription when the year is out.

I've bought various magazines over the years but like Sedge, I find that they're too expensive and too full of ads. For the price of a couple of magazines (that will be out-of-date one day), I could buy a new book to keep forever! :D

Ooh, let's see... US Elle, Fr Elle, US InStyle (I really like their positive attitude, there's never any "what was she thinking?!?" -stories), two Finnish knitting magazines (well, the other has sewing instructions too), occasionally Vogue, Elle Decor and random French decoration magazines.

I never buy what most people would define as women's magazines, as like others have said, they are full of ads and articles on fashion, beauty products etc that I am just not interested in. I do read though several spiritual magazines - Paradigm Shift, More 2 Life and Kindred Spirit, and also writing ones - Writing and Writers News, and of course The Bookseller online (can't afford the paper edition, as it costs around £5 a week). As for the celebrity stuff - it bores me to tears, and I just don't see the point. I am too busy enjoying my own life to worry about other people's anyway !

Not to mention that the celebrity stuff (at least in the mags around here) is complete nonsense, with all the quotes from non-existent 'insiders'. I wonder how they're allowed to sell that stuff (I wonder even more that people buy it!). :D

I have bought the Woman's Weekly for years and years and it has always satisfied me. Its a weekly and costs 80p. It has everything I like from knitting patterns to cookery recipes. there is also a letter page and pages devoted to topical news items; a medical page, often discussing something that has been in the news. Every week there is an article interviewing a celebrity (a real one, not one of your so called ones). Last week it was Helen Mirren. Inevitably there is the problem page.

Recently they started a book club and have asked readers to do reviews of book which they send to them. The also publish an excerpt of a book and then publish the reviews the following month. This month it was The Beach House by Jane Green.

All in all, it is a magazine packed with interesting and useful information, with a couple of short stories and a serial thrown in. Worth every penny of 80p

I recommend it, dont think its just for old ladies, give it a try I am sure you will like it.

I don't usually bother with magazines, but over the past few months I've been getting pregnancy-related ones and they've been rather enlightening! I come up with all kinds of questions to ask my midwife as a result of flicking through their pages. They also help make me feel a bit more "normal", seeing as how I haven't a clue what's going on with my body half the time - LOL!:D

I subscribe to Country Living...like looking at how other folk live etc...lol. Get copies of Woman & Home and Good Housekeeping to look through from my friend. Then we swap them back and pass on to someone else.

I like Fortean Times as well but I haven't bought that in a while.

I used to get Fortean Times. Such a weird magazine. I saw a picture in that mag that will stay with me forever. I won't give the gory details. :D