Jodi Picoult

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a mere fortnight ago on the recommendation of a friend that I read my first Jodi Picoult book. Nineteen Minutes. I was pleasantly surprised. I found the premise of the book was relevant in today's uncertain and wavering societal climate, and therefore thought provoking. I really enjoyed the author's writing style; emotive whilst having a clarity and credibility to harnessed thoughts/ideas/plot.

I definitely will be turning my eyes to more of Jodi Picoult's books in the future. Recommendations of which books will be gratefully received. :smile:

My first Jodi Picoult book was Nineteen Minutes, as well! I found the story quite interesting, but disturbing, of course. It definitely wasn't an easy read, 'realistic' might describe it better... sadly. I wish they would make this an obligatory read at schools, as a way to promote tolerance, for one.

As for The Pact, I left off around the middle and I haven't touched it for years now, not quite sure why. I guess I'm still waiting for my Picoult-mood to kick in again...

• 6 months later...

I liked Nineteen Minutes, but I was torn between whether or not I liked The Pact - I think the subject matter made it a bit of a difficult read, and I didn't warm to the characters very much. I thought Picture Perfect was a great read, has anyone tried that one?

I LOVED My Sister's Keeper though, its the one I'd recommend any reader start with.

• 1 month later...

My favourite Jodi Picoult book is My Sister's Keeper so far, but I've only read a few of her books. My second favourite is House Rules. I didn't really like Songs of the Humpback Whale, I've abandoned it halfway through, might pick it up some other time and read it.

Most of her other books are on my TBR list. I own nearly all of her books, except the co authored one (on my wishlist) and Keeping Faith, the one about religion (I'm not sure if it won't be too preaching). Has anyone read it, is it very preaching or is the story good enough that it doesn't bother you? I'm uncomfortable with books that preach religion too much.

Edited by Athena

• 4 months later...

Bought two to add to my Jodi collection today at a charity book sale, Lone Wolf and House Rules. Nice to see you enjoyed it House Rules Athena. Not one that I was familiar with.

Bought two to add to my Jodi collection today at a charity book sale, Lone Wolf and House Rules. Nice to see you enjoyed it House Rules Athena. Not one that I was familiar with.

Those were both pretty okay....but I certainly learned a lot about Wolves....more than I really cared to :/

I read: Handle with care (very beautiful, but sad so sad), Vanishing acts (very nice) and My sister's keeper (this also too sad, but very beautiful).

When I read Picoult's books I already know that I'll cry before the end. But her books are very beautiful, and the characters always teach something :')

As soon I'll read also Nineteen minutes and another book whom I don't remebember the title xD

• 1 month later...

I was reading through some of the posts on here and agreed with these, very much so:

I've read Vanishing Acts and I did enjoy it. It's well executed and you do understand the reasons leading up to the crime, once into it I did not stop 'til the end.

I don't think it's one of her strongest books though. But Jodi is the mistress of going into topics where most others do not go. exploring events behind a situation / family and cleverly plays on these to make the reader think about what they would do.

That's exactly what I thought that Picoult must be doing (I haven't read her other books so it was just a guess).

I love Jodi Picoult. She's definitely one of those writers that you just can't put down when you start, I love that she handles really unique and delicate subject matter and really takes you on a 'journey' if you know what I mean. I just finished reading Salem Falls the other night and really enjoyed it, love how she made me gasp on shock on the very last line in the book and then made me want to immediately re-read it to see if I could pick up on the clues I missed first time round. It's things like that is why I love Picoult.

Agreed! It's not many authors who would go for these subjects, at least not off the top of my head, but she's done it and from what I've read of my current book by her, she does really take me on a long journey and slowly unfolds the events that lead up to, well, what happened.

The Pact is my first Jodi Picoult. I bought it on a whim from some secondhand bookshop, having heard of her name so many times. I also thought the blurb was interesting. But the book's been just sitting on my bookshelf for many years and I've even thought about getting rid of it, having tried getting into the book a few times but it not having stuck with me.

Yesterday I picked it up again and then I couldn't put it down :o I got to page 188 before I fell asleep and that's not an everyday thing for me. What a difficult subject matter! And yet I think Picoult's handling it very well. Oh boy. I can't wait to read more!

That's great to hear! I haven't read The Pact yet but it's on my TBR. I should really read another book by her sometime soon, though I did read Lone Wolf earlier in the year I believe. I'm really glad you're enjoying The Pact, frankie :).

That's great to hear! I haven't read The Pact yet but it's on my TBR. I should really read another book by her sometime soon, though I did read Lone Wolf earlier in the year I believe. I'm really glad you're enjoying The Pact, frankie :).

You have a great read ahead! :) I'm so happy I didn't just give away this book, and ended up reading it eventually :) I'm going to take a look at other books by her, most definitely. Going by the posts on this thread, she's yet to write a bad book.

I didn't enjoy Songs of the Humpback Whale all that much (the others I read I really enjoyed), I abandoned it half way through but it might've been my mood at the time. I'll try again at a later time. Thanks :) have fun reading it! Not sure yet which Picoult I'm going to read next, maybe The Pact as well since you say it's so good..

EDIT: Whoops just read in another thread that you finished the book, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by Athena

• 3 weeks later...

I most certainly did, so much that I recommended it to a friend with whom I have rather similarish tastes and whose opinion I trust and who trusts my opinion. I gave her my copy, I hope she likes it :)

Edited by frankie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always recommend Jodi Picoult to pretty much everyone I know!  My favourites are My Sister's Keeper, The Pact and Salem Falls.  

If you love Jodi Picoult you'll probably enjoy Diane Chamberlain and Heather Gudenkauf as well.

I have two books by Heather Gudenkauf on the shelf, I love Jodi Picoult and Diane Chamberlain so that sounds promising! I'm not sure why I bought them, I think Amazon recommended them to me or something, I don't actually know much about them or about the author.