Hobbies

Oblomov

I try crocheting and cross stiching

I love fishing, camping, tying flies (for fishing) and doing crafts with the boys. Kenny and I are working on building a popsicle cabin, very fun and very messy.

Oh I also love "butterfly hunting" thats when you walk around with little nets and catch butterfly's, look at them and then let them go. Or you can freeze them then mount them in a frame and hang them on the wall..I'm very outdoorsy.

My dad ties flies for fishing i have always been fascinated by flies since i was tiny some are beautiful.

I only fish when i am at the sea!!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad ties flies for fishing i have always been fascinated by flies since i was tiny some are beautiful.

I only fish when i am at the sea!!

Some are very beautiful. Those are usually the Classic Salmon flies. Hubby and I have a desk set up with 2 vices and 2 lights and tons of materials. We usually tie for trout, blue gill, crapie, and bass. It is amazingly very relaxing.

Some are very beautiful. Those are usually the Classic Salmon flies. Hubby and I have a desk set up with 2 vices and 2 lights and tons of materials. We usually tie for trout, blue gill, crapie, and bass. It is amazingly very relaxing.

Awe, I used to be able to tie flies...my dad taught me when I was about 9. I had my own little box full of feathers and silk and lumps of wax, bottles of tar and glittering ribbons and other treasures.

He never quite finished teaching me to fish though so I don't think I ever used the flies I tied which made that hobby a little bit odd I suppose. He was keen on fishing though.

Fresh trout is the most amazing fish to eat with freshly baked bread, don't you think? Drat, I have made myself hungry now and, seeing as I am an impoverished student, my chances of eating trout anytime soon are pretty slim :lol:

what happens when you go on holiday beef? Do you have to get someone to look after them?

Well so far the longest ive been gone is 3 days and my dad fed them while i was gone (perk of living at home!) but from what ive red they will easily go 4-5 days without feeding although im not keen on trying!

Talisman, how do you find time to write among your other hobbies and 'life' in general? Are you strict in setting time aside every day for writing, or do you just do it when you get time?

I would like to do a bit of writing (as a hobby), but time (and, if I'm going to be honest, motivation) is always an issue.

Actually it is a real struggle - I work four days a week - usually Monday to Thursday and so have to be very organised. Friday is book promotion day - the day that I set aside for ringing book stores, networking with other authors that I know etc. Until November last year I was working full time on this, and aimed to ring at least 10 stores a day - even so it took me 4 months of solid work to get through all 330 Waterstones. #

Now I have just one day a week (and an hour or so on Saturday mornings) I aim to ring around 20 or so stores. I do this in phases - some between 9.30 and 10.30 am and the rest after 3.30 pm, since these seem to be the best times. In between those times, I write and go to the gym, amongst other things.

I also ring shops for an hour or so on Saturday mornings, when they first open - today I spoke to half a dozen or so branches of Borders, most of whom asked me to email them with further information. My partner and I then went out to lunch, and I spent the rest of the afternoon emailing various branches of Blackwells academic book stores that I have compiled a list of. I also went through some magazines looking for ads for smaller independent stores, as a possible home for some of those 70 odd books that were unceremoniously dumped on me yesterday by a certain wholesaler - say no more ...

After work in the evenings is also writing and networking time - my social life revolves around the various writing websites that I am a member of and pushing a trolley around the supermarket once a week ....

Sunday then is the only day off I get - when I just flop out and do as little as possible, apart from going to the gym and eating.

It is difficult and I have to be extremely organised, but this is my chosen path and despite the obstacles I just keep going. To not do so would be unthinkable, as it would be like cutting off my right arm. I could no more not write than I could not breath - as I would simply die inside. I do sometimes wonder if it is worth it all - but then I read the emails I have from happy readers and look at the comments on my blog and know that it is.

I love to dance, draw pictures, cook, write stories and poems, listen to music, play rounders, read magazines, fossil-hunt (though that's my brother's fault :lol:) and being surrounded by a big group of friends. :lol:

• 9 months later...

What are yor hobbies, or what you like to do in your free time other than reading? I have recently got back into cross stitch, I learned when I was around 10 ish but gave up, around 2 months ago I decided to get back into it and I love it :D

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

This is a good thread. I like threads that stimulate conversations where you get to learn about other members.

In my spare time I like to play guitar, draw, sing very loudly and badly if nobody is around, chase my dog around the house and eat toast. :D

No but really. Books, Music, Art. They ARE my spare time.

Books - and writing are pretty much my spare time also. Not just writing books (I have only published one, but have ideas for others), but all sorts of things - my blog, and the newsletter that I edit. Apart from that my main hobby really is walking and of course my faith, if you can call that a hobby.

AI = awesome.

I love photography too actually, although I suck at it so I don't bother much.

I also have a buying-and-selling hobby on ebay. Well, its more to make money, which it does, but I deal in just one thing which I enjoy collecting and selling.

Nellie: Nothing spectacular - I have a roboraptor and my brother has.... god whats his name... that little robot fella that dances and things. Uhm. It'll come to me.

K1nS: Thats an awesome poster. I love digital art too, though I've never finished anything except tattoo designs.

Sure, I'll post some here. They're all a bit dodgy, but yeah. They need work to become tattoos.

135006117a7169760041l.jpg

^ Thats not so much digital art, but I designed it, (its my handwriting) using a song lyric. And its the only one I have done.

135006117a7386575676l.jpg

^ Thats my literature tattoo, quoting Oscar Wilde - "The Suspence is terrible - I hope that it will last." Needs work on the writing to make it fluid, but its as close as I'll get it on computer.

3163072620_5d329d4cf6.jpg

^ Small version of the biggest one, coz its a large image. Its also my favourite. Its a Guns N Roses tattoo that as a whole represents my love of music, and features a line from a song by them which is a major motto of mine - 'Just because you're winning don't mean you're the lucky ones.'