Your Book Activity 2023

Finished Chris van Tulleken's Ultra-Processed People (4/6 stars)  Makes for some grim reading in places.  Makes me wonder, having gone on a low carb diet for medical reasons, whether it works because it's low(er) carb, or because it has, almost by default, seen me almost completely (but not quite!) eliminate UPF (Ultra-Processed Food) from my diet.

Edited by willoyd

Completed Niccolo Ammaniti's I'm Not Scared tonight, read for one of my book groups.  An excellent book I'm sure, but one that simply didn't grab me, and I found myself reading it simply to get it out of the way and move on, which almost certainly wasn't fair on the book.  However, it's how a book grabs me, so just 3 stars (an OK read).

• Like 1

Finished the International Booker short-listed Standing Heavy by GauZ tonight, read as the book for Cote d'Ivoire in my Read Around the World.  Really enjoyed this one - a wryly satirical look at the life of a group of Ivoirian 'undocument migrants' working as security guards in Paris.  This one definitely grabbed me!  5/6 stars.

Another quick read:  Department of Speculation by Jenny Offil.  Read almost in one sitting - probably rather too quickly, as there was much to absorb and enjoy.  Worth lingering.  4 (poss 5) stars out of 6.

Finished After Sappho by Selby Wynn Schwartz.  Had been really looking forward to this, but ultimately disappointed.  I needed to know a lot more about feminist writers and their history to even begin to understand what was going on and what this was all about; massive assumptions made about one's prior knowledge. Iwas utterly confused and bemused one-third of the way in, came close to giving up, but persisted - but that lack of comprehension continued to the end.  To me this was really only for the literary academic.  2 stars out of 6.

I enjoyed a quick read of Tom Felton's 'Beyond The Wand', a self deprecating memoir from his early years, entering acting, and a through a period of being somewhat lost.

He comes across as a charismatic young man, and his writing is filled with humour and a gentle wisdom.

I have since started 'The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep' by HG Parry. This is one of two books I an in reading for the BCF Reading Challenge.

16 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I have since started 'The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep' by HG Parry. This is one of two books I an in reading for the BCF Reading Challenge.

Enjoy! I thought it was great fun.

I completed my reading of The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H.G. Parry. An enjoyable read that I probably would not have encountered had I not joined the BCF Reading Challenge 2.

A charming story that walks a path with well known literary characters, and beyond it's central premise, does make one think about interpreting texts and delving into the intentions of authors, and our roles as readers. Great stuff!

Two books finished in fairly quick succession, followed by one where I didn't:

The Perfect Golden Circle by Benjamin Myers: a fairly light and easy read focused on male friendship and the adventures of a pair of corncirclers one summer.  A little bit overwritten in places, but otherwise an engrossing read: 4 stars (out of 6). 

The Fall of Boris Johnson by Sebastian Payne, an equally engrossing read for different reasons, containing some interesting insight into the machinations of (dysfunctional) government.  4 stars again.

The Lying Life of Adults Elena Ferrante, unfinished, a book group read.  Absolutely no arguments with the writing ,which is excellent, but I was utterly bored by the narrative. The characters didn't interest me, nor did the plot, yet another teenager (girl this time) growing up and finding out the truth about her family, particularly her parents. Perhaps just wrong book, wrong time, but there's been so much really interesting reading lately, this just couldn't stand up. 2 stars.

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hux said:

Started '69' by Ryu Murakami.

By the way, didn't we used to have a monthly 'Your Book Activity'?

We did, aye. Am reading the rather fascinating  Lethal White by Robert Galbraith.  She's doing brilliantly this time round, must say.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:20 PM, Hux said:

By the way, didn't we used to have a monthly 'Your Book Activity'?

We used a monthly thread up until this year but as the forum has become less busy it made sense to stick with one thread for the year.

• Like 1

Just read the latest book in Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's, The Good, The Bad & The History.

I have so enjoyed this series, and this carried on my enjoyment, with it's usual combination of history, humour and fast paced story telling. They won't be to everyone's taste, but I love 'em! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Just read the latest book in Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's, The Good, The Bad & The History.

I have so enjoyed this series, and this carried on my enjoyment, with it's usual combination of history, humour and fast paced story telling. They won't be to everyone's taste, but I love 'em! 

I'm a big fan too and thanks so much for introducing me to them 🥰

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, Brian. said:

I'm about 150 pages into the mammoth Shogun by James Clavell and so far I'm really enjoying it.

I have that on my TBR shelve(s) - have always been daunted by the size!