Your Book Activity - September 2022

I've currently got two very volumous history books on the go, Churchill by Andrew Roberts, and The Jacobites by Jacqueline Riding. I think I will have to pick up some easy reading fiction book to go alongside these as I really need to concentrate with the history books. I also slowly re-reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky for the 3rd time but I am purposefully taking my time with it.

Starting One Pair of Hands by Monica Dickens, an autobiographical account of her time as a cook working for the upper classes in 1930. Having been a reluctant debutante and kicked out of acting school, she embarks on this job with no real experience. Sounds like it's going to be amusing.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:01 PM, MissMohawk said:

I'm currently reading A Discovery of Witches.

I really liked this for the first part but there was something I didn’t like about the way it progressed… look forward to hearing your thoughts once you’re finished :lol:

• Like 1

I watched all of the TV series of 'A Discovery of Witches' and tried the book(s) afterwards. I simply could not get into them! Whilst I had enjoyed the TV version, there was something that was somehow off-putting to me, about the books. Normally I would defend the original book, against any film ot TV version as being obviously superior,as the writers intent shines through; but in this instance, the book(s) simply failed to engage my interest enough to continue reading.

• Like 1

I'm really excited about the new series The Empress and decided to immerse myself in the true (tragic) story of Empress Sisi. I was recommended "Under the Spell of a Myth: Empress Sisi in Greece" because this book is a really interesting and intriguing genre. The readers follow Elisabeth of Austria and Hungary, the historic character, from her first escape to Corfu because of her marriage crisis. Then we accompany her on her subsequent journeys there. The author gives the many historic characters a voice by letting them speak -mostly through diary entries - and he also gives Sisi a voice, as he often quotes her thoughts and poems at the end of each chapter. So this makes the book an unusual mix between biography, travelogue and poetry album, with many beautiful images and interesting descriptions of the young men who accompanied the Empress until she finally got killed in Geneva.

Just bought Miss Peregrine's Museum of Wonders: An Indispensable Guide to the Dangers and Delights of the Peculiar World for the Instruction of New Arrivals (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children) by Ransom Riggs.  I bought the  paper copy as I just love the feeling of it in my hands.

I have also pre-ordered the latest John Rebus book, A Heart Full of Headstones in paper to add to the collection. 

On 9/25/2022 at 1:26 PM, Madeleine said:

I enjoyed the first book, was bored by the 2nd one (though I loved the TV series) and didn't bother with the 3rd book, though I did watch the series through to the end.

I was just the same with the books but didn't see the tv series.

• Like 1

• Brian. unpinned this topic
On 9/24/2022 at 10:08 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Just started Rivers of London, Ben Aaronovich

How did/do you like it? I tried reading it last year but struggled to get on with it. Wondering whether to have another go at it...?

Edited by Goose

2 hours ago, Goose said:

How did/do you like it? I tried reading it last year but struggled to get on with it. Wondering whether to have another go at it...?

I enjoyed it. I didn't find it as humerous as I suspect the author intended but it didn't distract from the story which was good enough to keep me entertained. Give it another go and see how you feel.

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I enjoyed it. I didn't find it as humerous as I suspect the author intended but it didn't distract from the story which was good enough to keep me entertained. Give it another go and see how you feel.

I love the premise, I think I was just expecting it to be done a slightly different way. Maybe now that I am aware of that then I can go in to it from a different perspective. I'll give it a go :)

• Like 1