What Are You Up To Today?

Virginia

Went to the rubbish dump today so the shed is a little tidier.  Does anyone else find clearing out and taking stuff to the dump, therapeutic?  Although it's slightly depressing seeing how much is thrown out,I remember once seeing a whole crate full of crutches, wheelchairs and other medical aids,so I hope they do something useful with things which can be reused.

Absolutely! We have an old wine chai where they used to make wine attached to the house which basically houses the washing machine and junk. It's just too easy to let it fill up with stuff that's "too good to throw away" but which we have no use for.  However I do repurpose my husband's walkers when they develop cracks - they're very useful for propping up half broken branches on fruit trees or supporting honeysuckle!

Just found out that a book I read in 2009 - American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird, Martin J Sherwin has been turned into a film!

I've still got the paperback and it was a monumental reading of a fantastic subject. Well worth the effort (it was more than 700 pages long) but not too difficult to follow.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just found out that a book I read in 2009 - American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird, Martin J Sherwin has been turned into a film!

I've still got the paperback and it was a monumental reading of a fantastic subject. Well worth the effort (it was more than 700 pages long) but not too difficult to follow.

Sounds 👍 great..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Today was shopping day or "filling in the corners" of my pantry and freezers. I also purchased my yearly state park pass (it gives entry into any park in the state for free). Took my four-legged baby for a walk at said park (closest to my home). I then came home and put the goods away and am now watching Inspector Lindsey.  It's gorgeous outside but I'm now done. My ankle has been bothering me since our Labor Day weekend over a month ago. When it bothers me, I prop it up. I've got to take our daughter to an appointment in the morning but after that, I can be home pretty much the rest of the week for which I am HIGHLY grateful. Seems like I've lived in my Rover for the past two weeks what with all the comings and goings. I can't wait to stay still.

What are Y'ALL up to?

• Like 1

I persevered with my dedicated Kindle reader and got the book that was crashing my reader to work (see random chat for explanation), and I went outside to save my bird-feeder. This consists of a square pole inside a metal thingy (don't know what it's called) pushed into the ground, with curly book shelf brackets at the top. Our tree had grown through the curly brackets and had loosened the pole. I liberated the tree from the pole and hammered in some dowling to keep the pole straight.That will do until I confer with my brother and come up with a more elegant/practical solution. Now for some floor cleaning. 

• Like 1

Bird feeder poles are a pain, my last one ended up looking more like the Leaning Tower of Pisa,with pigeons and squirrels jumping on it, eventually a few months ago the pole just snapped clean off.  I hang the feeders in the tree now,though I'm starting to run out of branches!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today is "wait by the phone" day. I'm waiting to pick up my rover and for the HVAC guy to show up and give the unit a winter tune-up. No chores to do but I do hope to get in the kitchen to bake some bread. I also need to wash my granddaughter's hair. That should do it for me for the day.

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

Bird feeder poles are a pain, my last one ended up looking more like the Leaning Tower of Pisa,with pigeons and squirrels jumping on it, eventually a few months ago the pole just snapped clean off.  I hang the feeders in the tree now,though I'm starting to run out of branches!

Ours is decidedly home made but it's stayed up in 90 mile an hour winds so it just needs braced properly and it will continue to serve. It was leaning very dangerously so today was the day. 

Have an appointment with my esthetician in a bit. Otherwise, I'm home and relaxing, doing some paperwork, going thru the library events (classes, etc) for the next two months, and working on a homeschool curriculum. Still doing the girls hair but taking my time about it. 

1 hour ago, Virginia said:

Still doing the girls hair, one down, two more to go. I'll be done today and then we can relax for a few months. After I'm done with the hair, then I can refocus on my other projects.

What are you doing with the girls hair, Virginia? Sounds like it must be pretty stunning 😍 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Virginia said:

It's called micro-locs and if I paid someone to do them, it would cost roughly $1200 or more, times 4 heads. So I learned to do them myself although it will never look like this.

Micro Locs (Deposit) | escapeauthority.com

Wow, that's a real labour of love but lovely when it's finished. Do you do it all in one sitting? ... I can imagine most kids getting fed up with staying still for any length of time. I used to hate standing still while my Mum measured the hem length on dresses she was making for me 😂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, poppy said:

Wow, that's a real labour of love but lovely when it's finished. Do you do it all in one sitting? ... I can imagine most kids getting fed up with staying still for any length of time. I used to hate standing still while my Mum measured the hem length on dresses she was making for me 😂

The original install took almost a week for the oldest girl because she has a ton of hair and it was my first attempt. The retie is the tightening from the root. It takes a few hours and what I do is retwist what needs to be retwisted, and the tie (think making a cross, you go up and down, then east to west til it's tight). The girls can be fidgety but we manage to get thru it because this is easier than me having to do their hair daily. I can wash, condition, and styling. 

• Like 1

I am TIRED!! My grandchildren's homeschool coop went on a 3-mile nature hike today. I took 5 of the grands and my four-legged boy and we had a great time, but I am now achy and tired. I think the ache has to do with the promise of rain. I really REALLY feel the rain before it gets here. After dropping off three kids at their home, I brought two back home with me. We got back just in time for the cable guy to show up. In between dropping the kids off and getting home, I had to drop some items off at the post office. I'm so glad I did this today because I'm tired and plan to be home tomorrow. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's a gorgeous day, it's going to be in the 80s and sunny. Nothing planned as we've been out and about yesterday. I think I'll go thru my planner (app and physical) and update it. I also need to do my online Notary continuing education class and go thru my real estate notes as I plan to reactivate my license in the new year. So basically, whatever needs to be done admin wise, that's probably what I'll be doing.