When thinking of reading a book, what most affects your decision?

I think this is a relevant question. I have found, for instance, that on average the best fantasy writers seem to come from Australia, and the worst (not being mean or racist) come from America. But there are quite a few other things people do that influences their decision-

Media interest, Previously written books, references by other authors, what wikipedia has to say about them, their education or outspoken beliefs can all affect whether I look at a book or not.

What about you?

When I look on my shelves of what to read next I usually think about the following-

-Do I need something fresh and new from an author I have never tried?

or

- Do I want something from an author I know and like?

I then make my decisions from that. Sometimes I do just automatically reach for a book on my shelf as if my subconcious has already made the decision for me.

I had never really thought about it actually so thanks for the question:)

I'm pretty much open to suggestion on most books unless I've already tried a particular author and absolutely hated their style (in which case I can be put off for life and refuse to try anything else oof theirs without a LOT of coaxing).

My mood tends to be the biggest factor in what I choose to read next.

My decision depends on what mood I'm in, what I like the look of, recommendations on here (followed up on 2 so far and loved them both!) whether I have any money in my purse and how far away Waterstones is when there is money in it :friends0: Lots of things really. Quite often tho a book finds me :D

I'm a big re-reader, so unless I have a new book that I've been dying to read, I go with an old favorite that I haven't read in at least 6 months. If I'm in a Tolkien mood, I'll re-read either The Lord of the Rings or The Silmarillion, my two favorites. If I'm in a classics mood, I'll read Vanity Fair by Thackeray, Shirley or Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, or any of Jane Austen's books. It just depends on my mood, like Kell said!

Some of my friends, I always take suggestions from, cuz they read the same stuff as me, but other friends I just think "How do you not fall asleep halfway through the BLURB?? " The school librarian knows what I like to read as well (seeing as she's the one who always has to check the book out hehe)

For my own choices, I just look at the titles and the look of the spine of the book, then if it looks good I pull it out and look at the blurb and cover. Then if it still looks good I tend to read the first page on the way to take it out :friends0:

"How do you not fall asleep halfway through the BLURB?? "

I think I know that book! *grin*

No, as with all here, the blurb is important to me. Sometimes just an interesting looking cover will get me to buy it, although that usually only applies to the lightest reading (chick-lit and such). Kind of like Icecream, I do pay attention to recommendations and at least try to read the book if it's highly recommended by someone.

Also, I admit I'm curious, so if a book gets really high reviews or really a smashing, I have to get my hands on it and see what it's like. I know some people only read the books that get rewards, in order to appear more "literate" and "intelligent", but that phony attitude is usually easy to identify by the lack of all other reading. So I refuse to fall into that category. But I do read books that got a reward or high review, like the one BF gave to me. I'm really looking forwward to see if it's as good as they say it is. It's the same with movies. Something is talked about enough, I want to see what the fuzz is about.

Again, am I making any sense?

But my mood affects me greatly, too. And if I'm feeling a desperate need for a certain type of book, I usually turn to old favourites, as with a book you know you can be sure about the feeling it gives you, but with a new book you never know if you'll end up laughing or crying or what. And to prove that, I'll share with you the slightly embarrasing fact that I cried at the end of Nanny Diaries. So see?

I go through phases, but I often go for things that have the high praise - usually it's well deserved (although sometimes it's a lot of effort for little reward). Prizes and praise - particularly from higher-brow sources - tend to be a good start.

Another good pointer is recommendations from people you've seen reading interesting stuff, or who've already recommended good books.

On a different tack, when reading modern fiction I tend to find that places where interesting stuff is happening, where life is out of the ordinary, tend to produce better books. Authors from, say, the former Yugoslavia, or from Russia in the collapse of communism, have more interesting source material. Of course, British writers writing about those places also have the same material and can produce interesting stuff, but are less immersed. I often find that British writers writing about Britain tend to be very insular and self-absorbed, and focus on the trivial and the domestic - which is very much to some peoples' tastes. But those books which examine the small changes in an environment with which we're all familiar, end up a bit like the old kitchen sink dramas of the 60s, or worse, like a comedy of manners, and I find they drag when compared to people struggling in a collapsing or rebuilding or genuinely fractured society.

When I look on my shelves of what to read next I usually think about the following-

-Do I need something fresh and new from an author I have never tried?

or

- Do I want something from an author I know and like?

I then make my decisions from that. Sometimes I do just automatically reach for a book on my shelf as if my subconcious has already made the decision for me.

I had never really thought about it actually so thanks for the question:)

Yes I tend to follow my instincts also - another question I ask myself is whether I'm in the mood for a classic 19th century or a contemporary novel. New books find themselves onto my shelves mainly through recommendations from various sources or continuing with a writer I like.

Guest fireball

Isn't 'The Book Thief' fantasyish and written by an Australian.? Been reading about it on that thread, sounds interesting book though. I'm going to annoy Bolen's... AGAIN.!

As to what {When thinking of reading a book, what most affects your decision?}

into buying; well partly what fellow BCForum ites think of said book, or, might be bookish mind been piqued, by an article on the BBC Radio 4/5 book programme, or in my newspaper.

Isn't 'The Book Thief' fantasyish and written by an Australian.? .

The only fantasy element is that it is narrated by Death which to me comes across as an alternative viewpoint rather than being too ' fantasyish' (personally I can't cope with fantasy but this is fine). Yes it is written by an Australian but his mother is from Munich and his father Vienna and the book is influenced by the stories of the war he heard as a child.

Hope you decide to give it a try.:friends0:

I have two huge bookshelves full of Mount TBR.

The choice of 'what comes next' depends on a number of factors mainly concerned with what I've just read.

I rarely repeat genres unless I'm in some desperate kind of a mood and I never repeat authors.

I tend to alternate between modern thrillers (an absorbing, quickish read), modern literature, froth (chick-lit type books or funny stuff like Marian Keyes) that I can get through quite quickly and then oddments that I pick up in the library or are recommended to me. If the book of the month on here appeals to me, I'll read that next but for some reason I seem to always be a month behind :lol:

I'm with Judy, by and large. "Mood" is the main determinant of what I pluck off the shelves (or, more likely, dig out of the back of a cupboard I'd all but forgotten). I try to mix up fiction and non-fiction, of which I read quite a lot, but basically it all comes down to what I feel like on the day.

• 11 months later...
I'm with Judy, by and large. "Mood" is the main determinant of what I pluck off the shelves (or, more likely, dig out of the back of a cupboard I'd all but forgotten). I try to mix up fiction and non-fiction, of which I read quite a lot, but basically it all comes down to what I feel like on the day.

Yeah I'm the same, if I'm reading a series and I have the next books ready, I'll often just read them straight through, but generally, I'll just pick up what feels appealing to me at the time, if I read a few pages and decide I don't feel like it I just look for something else, though that doesn't happen too often

Usually by subject matter or a good recommendation. BBC Radio 3 has an excellent culture review show that includes book reviews. Amazon's customer review is another source I use. But as one poster has already mentioned, gut feeling is the best judge of character when it comes to reading.

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!

I'm another 'mood' person. I like to swap around serious with light and humourous, and fiction with non-fiction but I can get quite obsessional about a certain subject, author or series and will read them back to back at times.

Again with me its my mood. I've still lost my mojo and am coming to the end of my current read but dont know what kind of book I'm in the mood for at all :) Sometimes I think something light and easy to read would get it back and sometimes I think I need to start a great series to get me back on track again. Like you Poppy I can become quite obsessed with a series, when I got 'The Sinner' by Tess Gerritesen I had to go out and buy all the relating books I could find and had them read within a fortnight!! Everything else went to pot!!:lol: